Upgrading to a Guarantee

Can you do it? I helped book my brother in law and a friend in an inside cabin for the cruise I am taking in August. I noticed that the outside guarantee is now an option for only $10 more than what they paid for the inside. I called to upgrade but was told I couldn't do it. That I could only upgrade to a different catagorie.

But I have read two different threads this week where someone has discussed upgrading to a guarantee. Is it an issue with it being after final payment or did I get someone who didn't know what they were talking about.

OV is a different category! Unless the price is listed as a sale for 'new bookings only' it's been my experience you can always upgrade if the price is higher. Even after final payment.

Call back and get a second opinion.

I had booked an ocean view balcony on the Oasis. About a month and a half before the cruise, I suite guarantee became available.

I always continue to monitor availability on the Internet hoping for something like that and I always book through an Internet agency.

I think it was about a hundred dollars each for the guarantee upgrade. I called my TA right away as sometimes these are very limited offers.

I was thrilled ......we were assigned a junior suite on the hump part of the ship with a double balcony.

Checking a pricing website, that Y Guarantee rate has been in effect since the 20th of June, which would have been the day after final payment for this cruise. This would not indicate a special 'sale' to me.

There are at least 45 outside cabins available on that cruise.

While I have understood that sale fares from the Tuesday sales and Hot Deals are not included, this seems to fit the category that everybody keep saying should work.

I have been told to ask for the 'Resolutions Department' by someone here if this happened to me yet again.

I don't know if this is the same but on our recent Liberty cruise we had booked an inside cabin and final payment was made. I was checking prices every day and about 10 days before the cruise noticed that a guaranteed balcony was actually lower than what we paid. We were upgraded to a D2 and actually got a small refund. Happy days

Keep calling. I made three consecutive phone calls ... got a different person each time. Try starting off with "How much to upgrade to ___?" It sets the tone from the start that you intend to pay more. The first 2 times, I led with the timid "Can I upgrade and get the new price?"

Keep calling. I made three consecutive phone calls ... got a different person each time. Try starting off with "How much to upgrade to ___?" It sets the tone from the start that you intend to pay more. The first 2 times, I led with the timid "Can I upgrade and get the new price?"

LIKE!!! It's like changing a guarantee cabin that you don't like to another. Don't ask if you can, but just state that you want to change from cabin x to cabin y:)

Just tell them that you want to change to the guarantee and then verify the additional cost

Success!

I called and took your advice. I just said I saw this new price and I wanted to upgade to it. He did try to talk me out of it. He said you know you cant pick your room and you could end up anywhere, even have some kind of obstruction. I told him for $10 a person a window with an obstruction was better than no window at all. His answer, "good point".

But thanks again for the advice, I knew I could count on my CC freinds!

Success!

I called and took your advice. I just said I saw this new price and I wanted to upgade to it. He did try to talk me out of it. He said you know you cant pick your room and you could end up anywhere, even have some kind of obstruction. I told him for $10 a person a window with an obstruction was better than no window at all. His answer, "good point".

But thanks again for the advice, I knew I could count on my CC freinds!

Glad you found someone who knew the rules this time.:)

Archived