Fashionable in Alaska?

I'm starting to get worried...

Is it possible to be fashionable while dressing for your Alaska cruise? I have my fleeces, long sleeves, short sleeves, jeans, active pants, scarfs, etc...everything I'm told I need for my layers, but I'm fearful that every picture I take will have the same jacket on and look exactly the same! Any ideas/suggestions? I'm not as worried about dinner attire onboard (I plan on taking a few dresses & black pants/tops).

Part of what I like about packing for my Carribbean cruises is having all new dresses & outfits to wear!:confused:

Hi.. I have a cruise booked for Alaska for June 2014 .. Do we really need to bring scarfs? I figured capries and a light jacket.. but jeans and long sleeves?? Oh boy.. Easier to pack for the carribean.. lol

When are you going?

We had quite varied weather on our last trip to Alaska (Sept 2008). From upper 70s and sunny to upper 30s and sleeting. So sure, I had on the same couple of coats in most of my photos, but I don't really care. I don't even have that many photos of me. The beauty of Alaska is ALASKA, not me:p It's not a fashion plate type destination - which is NOT to say you can't look good and dress well - but I do think you'll probably get more of that on board, and not necessarily in the ports.

(I had a goretex rain coat, a midweight fleece zip up, and a spandex/stretch zip neck shirt - so depending on weather & activity I layered any or all of those so they were the most common in my outdoor photos. My avatar photo is from that cruise - out on our balcony during Glacier Bay:D)

(I packed less clothing for a longer trip when we went to Alaska vs Caribbean- and I had a heck of a lot more fun - but I don't love the beach, but I LOVE bald eagles!)

Edited by Hoyaheel

You can dress as stylishly as you want. Bring lots of luggage, lots of tops, jackets etc and they will look great in the photos. Most of us try to keep the amount of luggage to a minimum but there is no rule you have to. :)

I agree the photos of the scenery of Alaska were more what we enjoyed taking than photos of ourselves. :D

The beauty is breathtaking!

Edited by sail7seas

Guest maddycat
Hi.. I have a cruise booked for Alaska for June 2014 .. Do we really need to bring scarfs? I figured capries and a light jacket.. but jeans and long sleeves?? Oh boy.. Easier to pack for the carribean.. lol

When are you going?

You can check the weather forcast before your cruise. That might help. We were comfortable wearing jeans, sneakers, t-shirts, long sleeve shirts and windbreakers during the day. Layering is the key. We bought sweatshirts in Alaska to wear there and to bring home as souvenirs. We didn't bring hats, gloves or scarfs and didn't feel that we needed them.

As mentioned by the OP, the weather is very changeable in Alaska. The Inside Passage is a rain forest so be prepared. I always carried a small folding umbrella. My husband wore his baseball cap if it rained. Just like at home. In some ports it was in the low 70s while in others it was in the mid 50s. It sure wasn't the Caribbean. I thought that it was delightful. Great walking around weather. We are from NJ and are used to cooler weather.

Like bread tags, use a different color scarf for each day. They don't have to be heavy woolen scarves, silky ones will do.

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/breadtag.asp

An idea about layering.

Last cruise to Alaska it was 40 and wet the whole week.

Thin layers are best. On top I wore combinations of thin silk long underwear, tshirt (or tank), pullover, hoodie, waterproof shell. Peeling off if I got too hot.

Only wore jeans on the bottom, never the silk long underwear. Socks and regular (not waterproof or water resistant) sneakers.

Only wore a knit hat and gloves when viewing the glacier.

We live in the Greater Los Angeles area and were plenty warm.

Edited by SadieN

We cruised Alaska the first week in June and it snowed but then turned warmer. We needed rain jackets , jeans ,khakis, long sleeved t shirts , sweaters ,a,fleece pullover , gloves ,sneakers and nicer clothes for dinner on the ship. Alaska is all about the scenery and not so much about the fashion.It was a fabulous trip .

We went the first week of September in 2009. The weather was gorgeous and sunny, but not warm. I wore a lot of jeans, riding boots, sweaters (light to mid) and fashion scarves. I think our first night at sea I wore a sundress at dinner.

We leave again for Alaska in a few weeks and I'll be packing a variety of options including a maxi or two. No shorts, but I will take along some ankle pants and sandals.

you just have to know where to look:p

Dressing warm can be fashionable. Ever seen photos of people at Vail or Aspen? You just have to find places where fun prints and colors are offered. Hit up the Patagonia site for outerwear in some fun colors. And, always bring an assortment of scarves!!! They don't have to be thick wooly things - if you have a Tneck on, any scarf will brighten things up. Go to The Gap or any of the low-end chain big box places and pick out a few cheapies in colors you like.

Like others have said, you're touring Alaska to see, not to be seen. You can get gussied up to your heart's content onboard. When in port, get down with the others and bring out the utility clothes.

Thanks for everyone's input!

The scarf suggestions is the only thing I was able to come up with on my own (in terms of adding a bit of flair to the daily fleece/rain jacket ensemble). I've already purchased about 7-8 for that very reason. All the packing lists I've read said to bring scarf & gloves. I'm going in September and suspect I'll be in for some chilly weather being Carnival's last cruise of the season.

My suspicions were confirmed last week, when one of my facebook friends posted pictures of her Alaska cruise and the pictures taken each day looked pretty much the same. Same jacket/jeans. Yes, the scenery was different.

Yes, I realize that cruising to Alaska is more about the scenery than what I'm wearing. But, I do like taking pictures of myself during the course of the cruise enjoying the ports. And, part of what I enjoy on a Caribbean cruise is packing new, fun outfits to wear each day onboard & in port. That's why I was asking for suggestions of ways to mixup the standard fleece/coat/jeans uniform.

Slidergirl - Do you have any photos of fashionable in Vail/Aspen you mention? Generally speaking, anyone I know from my neck of the woods (at least in terms of my friends & family) generally do not vacation to cold weather places. We get enough cold weather in Pittsburgh!

Thanks for everyone's input!

The scarf suggestions is the only thing I was able to come up with on my own (in terms of adding a bit of flair to the daily fleece/rain jacket ensemble). I've already purchased about 7-8 for that very reason. All the packing lists I've read said to bring scarf & gloves. I'm going in September and suspect I'll be in for some chilly weather being Carnival's last cruise of the season.

My suspicions were confirmed last week, when one of my facebook friends posted pictures of her Alaska cruise and the pictures taken each day looked pretty much the same. Same jacket/jeans. Yes, the scenery was different.

Yes, I realize that cruising to Alaska is more about the scenery than what I'm wearing. But, I do like taking pictures of myself during the course of the cruise enjoying the ports. And, part of what I enjoy on a Caribbean cruise is packing new, fun outfits to wear each day onboard & in port. That's why I was asking for suggestions of ways to mixup the standard fleece/coat/jeans uniform.

Slidergirl - Do you have any photos of fashionable in Vail/Aspen you mention? Generally speaking, anyone I know from my neck of the woods (at least in terms of my friends & family) generally do not vacation to cold weather places. We get enough cold weather in Pittsburgh!

If you want to check out what the people in Vail/Aspen "to be seen" wear, go hit up the online Gorsuch catalog: http://www.gorsuch.com. Check out the ski wear, the fleece, etc. I do live in a ski resort town. You'll see people decked out in this stuff all day long, you'll see people (like me) in their Patagonias and Mountain Hardware puffs and jeans. I have a few colorful items just for brightening up my mood after so many grey winter days. Go to athlete.com and sahalie.com and look in their sale sections for some fun offerings. Sahalie has some basic fleece 1/4 zips for women in some colors, Athleta has their Sierra Nevada fleeced long sleeve shirts (I've got one and it's very warm). Go to sierratradingpost.com and check out the Neve clothes - some very cool patterns on their shirts!!! Pair any of the shirts/Tnecks, sweaters with a pair of Jeans and you would be stylin' at any resort!!!

P.S. I was born and raised until 12 in South Central PA. We made an annual "pre-school shopping" and "first day of deer season" (our school actually had it as a holiday) trip into Pittsburgh to buy clothes. It was actually to Kauffman's in Monroeville...

Edited by slidergirl

Guest maddycat
MADDYCAT- Where in NJ are you from? Im from Northern NJ..and just like you we enjoy the colder weather...lol

Paramus

When are you going?

Hi,:) this is from going to Alaska 3 times.

This particular summer has been waaayyy warmer than normal but

usually it is very cold. I suggest you check the weather channel or

go on line to weather.com about 2 weeks before you sail. During the

day? In my opinion, capri's are not nearly warm enough. Long pants

and layering are the best way to pack for Alaska.

I never brought a scarf but I always pack long sleeves and yes,

jeans or other long pants for daytime. It is much different than

packing for the Caribbean. They are totally different climates.

Layering is the key:)

Thanks for the clarification Lois. I have my lined and unlined jeans packed...one pair of black capris just incase as I can always buy extra t-shirts. My understanding is that although the towns may be warmer than usual this summer, the glacier areas are still cold....leaving Monday

Thanks for the clarification Lois. I have my lined and unlined jeans packed...one pair of black capris just incase as I can always buy extra t-shirts. My understanding is that although the towns may be warmer than usual this summer, the glacier areas are still cold....leaving Monday

Oh wow, you sail next week?:D Please check the weather.

I don't own any lined jeans....and capri's would be ok for the ship.

But when going outside? The Glaciers are awesome:)...but they

are COLD!

What is your itinerary?

We sail on the Island Princess from Vancouver to Ketchitan, Juneau, Skagway and Whittier and then return with a few glacier viewings in between Hubbard etc. The weather channel is showing fairly warm/hot for the next 14 days but around 8-11 degrees at night. It is hard to know what to expect and what to pack.

I am packing a real mix of items. Normally I plan my outfits by the day but not this time. I have rain gear, fleece, long sleeved t-shirts, gloves, short sleeved t-shirts plus various weight jeans and the black capris. I have also added a pair of shorts! I am sure the the ship's stores will be ready to sell any missing but needed items:D

I live in Ottawa Canada, hence the lined jeans for winter but I must tell you my funny story about them. I ordered them from Eddie Bauer. Guess the only place they had them in stock? Florida!

I will report back but the o/p is sailing in 2014 and this is apparently not typical weather.

You can get some cute ideas from Sundance street fashion photos too, but for me - most of those styles are way too much clothing for an Alaska cruise for me. Heck, I wouldn't wear so much warm clothing while skiing in Park City:p But it's all what you're used to, I guess.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sundance+street+fashion&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=TynnUfa5Bo3-9gSSmoDwCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=643

Lands End clearance now has a couple fleece jackets & vests on sale, if I remember correctly. STP had a great sale (35% off most things) but that ended last night (I ordered a few things for my upcoming sailing trip - talk about different kind of packing!)

Have fun! Worst case scenario - just take your coat off before the photos a few times to get some of that variety you crave. For me, I guess the clothing isn't that important - for the past 10 years, I've been trying to move to a more minimalist closet, then losing weight and having to start over completely from scratch has really helped in that regard:rolleyes:

We sail on the Island Princess from Vancouver to Ketchitan, Juneau, Skagway and Whittier and then return with a few glacier viewings in between Hubbard etc. The weather channel is showing fairly warm/hot for the next 14 days but around 8-11 degrees at night. It is hard to know what to expect and what to pack.

I am packing a real mix of items. Normally I plan my outfits by the day but not this time. I have rain gear, fleece, long sleeved t-shirts, gloves, short sleeved t-shirts plus various weight jeans and the black capris. I have also added a pair of shorts! I am sure the the ship's stores will be ready to sell any missing but needed items:D

I live in Ottawa Canada, hence the lined jeans for winter but I must tell you my funny story about them. I ordered them from Eddie Bauer. Guess the only place they had them in stock? Florida!

I will report back but the o/p is sailing in 2014 and this is apparently not typical weather.

Hi, great itinerary:D....last time I took an Alaskan cruise was 2009

and I took a float plane tour in Ketchikan.......one of the best

excursions I have ever done!

I don't do Centigrade temps:eek:......8 to 11 degrees....I know

that is not 8 Farenheight;)

Here is a photo of the floatplane tour...went to the Misty Fjords...

3934245865_9369ea2c72_b.jpg

3934233033_57ab626958_b.jpg

Thanks. Great pics. Sorry about the centigrade...it seems that despite the high daytime temperatures it is still cold at night...but I also noticed a big difference in temps depending on the source. I am more a tropics person but this is on dh's bucket list. My dad passed away a couple of months ago so I am really looking forward to the trip.

Thanks. Great pics. Sorry about the centigrade...it seems that despite the high daytime temperatures it is still cold at night...but I also noticed a big difference in temps depending on the source. I am more a tropics person but this is on dh's bucket list. My dad passed away a couple of months ago so I am really looking forward to the trip.

Oh....so sorry about your Dad:(....I lost mine 2 years ago and I miss

him every day too.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

We Americans (well most of us;)) still use Farenhieght for temps....

You can get some cute ideas from Sundance street fashion photos too, but for me - most of those styles are way too much clothing for an Alaska cruise for me. Heck, I wouldn't wear so much warm clothing while skiing in Park City:p But it's all what you're used to, I guess.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sundance+street+fashion&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=TynnUfa5Bo3-9gSSmoDwCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=643

Lands End clearance now has a couple fleece jackets & vests on sale, if I remember correctly. STP had a great sale (35% off most things) but that ended last night (I ordered a few things for my upcoming sailing trip - talk about different kind of packing!)

Have fun! Worst case scenario - just take your coat off before the photos a few times to get some of that variety you crave. For me, I guess the clothing isn't that important - for the past 10 years, I've been trying to move to a more minimalist closet, then losing weight and having to start over completely from scratch has really helped in that regard:rolleyes:

Hardly anyone skis/rides during Sundance. For locals, it's the best time to go!! It IS fun to go up to Main St. one day and just watch the people go by - definitely the "to be seen" group :p Some do blend in with the locals. The "celebs" get all this free stuff to wear - last year, I saw tons of boxes of Sorels show up, and plenty of Canada Goose jackets, too (I worked at one of the high-end hotels). Sure wish someone had delivered one extra of those Canada Goose jackets ;) But, they can leave the Sorel wedges (!!!) with someone else!!! I'll keep my Cate the Greats...

Just sayin' you don't have to be in dull black/white/red fleece - there are some really fun things out there. But, if you want to go whole hog on the fashion thing, you can do that, too and still be warm.

Hardly anyone skis/rides during Sundance. For locals, it's the best time to go!! It IS fun to go up to Main St. one day and just watch the people go by - definitely the "to be seen" group :p Some do blend in with the locals. The "celebs" get all this free stuff to wear - last year, I saw tons of boxes of Sorels show up, and plenty of Canada Goose jackets, too (I worked at one of the high-end hotels). Sure wish someone had delivered one extra of those Canada Goose jackets ;) But, they can leave the Sorel wedges (!!!) with someone else!!! I'll keep my Cate the Greats...

Just sayin' you don't have to be in dull black/white/red fleece - there are some really fun things out there. But, if you want to go whole hog on the fashion thing, you can do that, too and still be warm.

I think that I will leave the Sorels at home as they are certainly not a fashion statement IMO. Certainly not any styles that I have ever seen. That is the sort of footwear for blizzards and slushy snow conditions. I did think about short Uggs but they are also staying home. I am taking a pair of Merrell barefoots, a pair of black patent Joseph Seilbel lace ups, a pair of heels and sandals for evening. Probably my brown Lacoste lace ups. All are waterproof sprayed and drying on the deck.

Canada Goose may be a bit of overkill for Alaska in July/August unless they have a much lighter style than I am used to...sort of like taking lined jeans to Florida in July! Very nice and stylin' but again IMO not really weather appropriate for Alaska at this time of year. We bought a Canada Goose jacket for my son as a gift when he coached an outdoor hockey game in upstate New York last winter. Even living in Ohio, he found that he did not wear it much because it was too warm for the winter conditions.

Most of my new items for the cruise are Northface which are reasonably stylish for all age groups. I have 3 different weights of Northface fleece and a hot pink North face rain/all weather jacket (plus two other rain jackets). I will always have a dry jacket and can change it up for pictures. The North face black rain pants are pretty boring I have to admit.

I will let you know how it works out.