Bermuda Webcam right now

Booked inlaws on port side...can't tell...is that facing port here or water? Does anyone know? We were hoping they'd see port stuff from their balcony.

Port is "left" on a ship (facing forward on the ship - and "right" is Starboard). In Bermuda the way Grandeur was docked they were facing the Dockyard. You are watching their side as she pulls away.

It is not normal procedure to switch lifeboats from the starboard to port side.

Lifeboat/Tender 3 was on the starboard side. Lifeboat/Tender 2 was on the port side. They have now been switched.

I hope those on board will inform us what they were told when they return home.

Grandeur and Enchanment have been docked both on portside and starboarside depending on the week and what lifeboats they need to use for a drill. I have been twice and each time we were docked differently.

I believe they lowered tenders when they arrived and had to back off from dock to recover them. It was a bit slow since they were supposed to sail at 5PM and didn't charge away until 5:45PM.

;)

Lifeboat/Tender 2 was in its proper place during all of the views that I saw after the Grandeur of the Seas had arrived at Bermuda. I saw Lifeboat/Tender 3 come sailing around the bow of the ship after Grandeur of the Seas had moved away from the dock. It was pretty obvious to me in watching the behavior of Lifeboat/Tender 2 once in the water and interacting with Lifeboat/Tender 3 that she was helping them position themselves so that the ship could retrieve them. A Lifeboat/Tender does not exert an obvious "pushing" action, as Lifeboat/Tender 2 did on Lifeboat/Tender 3, as we watched unless something warranted such an event.

Something is amiss. But, does it pose a safety hazard? No. The fact that Lifeboat/Tender 3 could motor itself from the Starboard side to the Port Side would indicate that it is still able to function.

But, why did this happen at all?

I am hopeful that those aboard the ship for this sailing will give us some information as to what they were told. From the webcam view, there were many on deck and on their verandas watching this scene unfold.

The week before the fire sailing... when she was leaving Bermuda they also lowered a life boat as the ship pulled away from the port. It was on the far side, so you couldn't see what the deal was (the ship was still turning and quickly was in the way of your view from the camera).

I don't know why they did/do it, but it seems not so abnormal as a result.

Judy

Im am reading a few folks saying life boats were dropped on the grandeur, was this a drill or is there a problem? we sail away july 26

DianeRCCL: [21:44] We are always conducting drills, but I can not confirm what is going on onboard the ship.

Port is "left" on a ship (facing forward on the ship - and "right" is Starboard). In Bermuda the way Grandeur was docked they were facing the Dockyard. You are watching their side as she pulls away.

I was on the sailing. We were not informed while the event was going on. The next day at the captain's forum, someone asked what was going on. My understanding from what I heard was they switched out a motor on one of the lifeboats while we were in Bermuda and had to test it while the ship was in motion because it was to be inspected once it arrived in Baltimore. I believe they had to "switch" sides to make sure that lifeboat that had been "fixed" was not facing the dock when we arrived in Baltimore.

Archived