Tipping at the start of the cruise

RWA Cruisers

Of course tipping, like any true incentive compensation concept, should be at the discretion of the recipient of the person receiving the service. Unfortunately, many people lose sight of the appropriateness of the amount -- which is why the auto-tip, or service charge is applied. The typical cruising couple on a seven day cruise will see a total of $168 in service charge on their folio ($12 x 2 x 7).

The passenger who hands a $20 to the cabin steward at the start of the cruise is likely to feel entitled to superior service and is unlikely to leave anything more at the end if he has left the auto- tip in place -- unless he has received really special service.

The sad fact is that the $3.00 or so per day which the cabin steward will see from the daily charge is a whole lot less than the typical $5.00 per night left for a hotel chambermaid - for a lot less effort.

Considering how many posters on CC feel entitled to smuggle liquor on board to save a few dollars, I doubt that too many of them will hand out many $20's at the end of their cruise.

Considering how many posters on CC feel entitled to smuggle liquor on board to save a few dollars, I doubt that too many of them will hand out many $20's at the end of their cruise.

I'm surprised by this. Just about everyone that I know that cruises, leaves something over and above the auto tipping/DSC, but then again we don't smuggle liquor.

Of course tipping, like any true incentive compensation concept, should be at the discretion of the recipient of the person receiving the service. Unfortunately, many people lose sight of the appropriateness of the amount -- which is why the auto-tip, or service charge is applied. The typical cruising couple on a seven day cruise will see a total of $168 in service charge on their folio ($12 x 2 x 7).

The passenger who hands a $20 to the cabin steward at the start of the cruise is likely to feel entitled to superior service and is unlikely to leave anything more at the end if he has left the auto- tip in place -- unless he has received really special service.

The sad fact is that the $3.00 or so per day which the cabin steward will see from the daily charge is a whole lot less than the typical $5.00 per night left for a hotel chambermaid - for a lot less effort.

As far as snuggling liquor I have the solution for this .Really simple one too :)

Rather than make 1000% profit maybe only make 200% and not rip people off by charging $80 for a bottle of vodka they will gladly sell you in the gift shop for 4 for $44.99

People do not mind paying a premium but are tired of subsidizing cruise fare for people that cruise cheap and don't spend a penny onboard

Why don't the lines raise base fare ,include the service charges/tips and make things reasonable and people will buy bottles

As far as snuggling liquor I have the solution for this .Really simple one too :)

Rather than make 1000% profit maybe only make 200% and not rip people off by charging $80 for a bottle of vodka they will gladly sell you in the gift shop for 4 for $44.99

People do not mind paying a premium but are tired of subsidizing cruise fare for people that cruise cheap and don't spend a penny onboard

Why don't the lines raise base fare ,include the service charges/tips and make things reasonable and people will buy bottles

And if they raise the prices, so that they can sell liquor cheaper, aren't those that don't drink subsidizing those that do. You seem to think it is wrong for people to subsidize those that don't spend money onboard, but it is okay for people to subsidize someone's alcohol consumption. Hmmmmm

I certainly don't have a problem with cruise lines raising the service charge/tips (making it part of the cruise fare), but I have a problem paying a higher price, so someone can purchase liquor cheaper. How would one like if the cruise fare was higher, so one can get cheaper spa treatments or shore excursions or lower fee restaurant charges?

And if they raise the prices, so that they can sell liquor cheaper, aren't those that don't drink subsidizing those that do. You seem to think it is wrong for people to subsidize those that don't spend money onboard, but it is okay for people to subsidize someone's alcohol consumption. Hmmmmm

I certainly don't have a problem with cruise lines raising the service charge/tips (making it part of the cruise fare), but I have a problem paying a higher price, so someone can purchase liquor cheaper. How would one like if the cruise fare was higher, so one can get cheaper spa treatments or shore excursions or lower fee restaurant charges?

Like I have said in the past many times maybe more people would get a massage or book excursions through the ship if they were priced better

I pick my cabin on the lido where I pay more than most,we gamble a lot ,buy bottles from BV ,buy pictures why do I get the same as the budget cruiser( their is nothing wrong with the budget cruiser).They should have a rewards program based on total money spent

Like I have said in the past many times maybe more people would get a massage or book excursions through the ship if they were priced better

I pick my cabin on the lido where I pay more than most,we gamble a lot ,buy bottles from BV ,buy pictures why do I get the same as the budget cruiser( their is nothing wrong with the budget cruiser).They should have a rewards program based on total money spent

If prices were higher, too help with the cost of spa, liquor, etc., many would not be able to cruise because of the cost. And, when you think of it, why should someone who doesn't use these services have to pay for someone else to use it.

I understand paying more, my next two cruises are in aft penthouse suites and I gamble a lot. I don't buy liquor, but purchase spa treatments, shore excursions and specialty restaurants. But this is something I choose to do and I don't expect others to defray my costs, just as I don't want to defray the costs of those that drink alcohol.

It is interesting how many people do not feel comfortable with being given a choice. By charging very low basic fares, the lines enable more people to cruise who would otherwise not be able to. Those who claim to be able to pay a much higher fare - and say they would be glad to, if drinks and other prices were more "reasonable" really make no sense. For the same total outlay, they would get the cruise, plus the extras they now pay high prices for, by paying a higher basic fare and lower prices for the extras.

What they are really saying is that they want non-drinkers to subsidize their bar bills; non souvenir-buyers to subsidize their photo purchases; and people who do not care about spas to subsidized their massages,

And some of them use those high liquor prices ( which offset their low fares) to justify their cheating by smuggling liquor: great bunch of people.

Indeed the people that should be camping are going on cruises because of those very basic low fares

As they post on here how to remove tips (not that I would I just want to hand out envelopes to those worthy lol). Family of 4 in one inside cabin doesn't think its right for everyone to have to pay the auto grats :)

Smuggling threads are next up for those basic low fare cruisers

Indeed the people that should be camping are going on cruises because of those very basic low fares

As they post on here how to remove tips (not that I would I just want to hand out envelopes to those worthy lol). Family of 4 in one inside cabin doesn't think its right for everyone to have to pay the auto grats :)

Smuggling threads are next up for those basic low fare cruisers

Wow! You think fares should be raised, so your alcohol will be cheaper, which would make cruising unattainable for some, who you say should be camping. Wow again! I think the cruise industry has it just right. Keep the fares down, so that virtually everyone has the opportunity to take this kind of vacation and keep add ons where they are. That way people can choose what they want. Do they just want the cruise and everything free that goes along with it or are they like me who wants to spend money on extras.

Pretty judgemental about who wants to remove the auto grats aren't you. From what I've seen, it is those hardworking folks who saved for some time for a cruise vacation, who are the most generous to the staff. They are also very gracious to them, because they know what it means to work hard for their money. These should be campers, as you call them, are the ones who are also gracious to other passengers, unlike some (I think you know what I mean).

Do you tip before your meal at a restaurant? Do you tip at a car wash before they wash your car? Do you tip at the hairdresser before they start working on your hair? Why then would you think of tipping at the start of the cruise?

Do you tip your porter before your bags are loaded onto a ship or plane?

Prior to going on a cruise ship, I usually load my bags on a dolly for a porter to transfer onto the ship. Using the above logic, I should not be tipping them until after the bags have been loaded. I'm not so sure I'd want to take that chance. ;)

We tipped our guy $20 on the second day, and DH told him, we think you're doing such a great job. The guy looked confused, but took the money. I think, he thought, that would be his only tip from us (we do the automatic plus extra cash tips). I prob will now tip extra on the last day related to performance.

I have given money to the room steward at the beginning and end of the cruise and never noticed a difference in service. My next cruise I will tip them at the end of the sailing with money and a prepaid international phone card. I hope he/she doesn't have to claim or turn in the the phone card.

I have given money to the room steward at the beginning and end of the cruise and never noticed a difference in service. My next cruise I will tip them at the end of the sailing with money and a prepaid international phone card. I hope he/she doesn't have to claim or turn in the the phone card.

Why do people feel that giving them money is unseemly. That is what they are working for. Giving them a phone card (which they can buy anywhere probably at lower prices than you pay) is marginally better than a baseball cap from the Cubs.

Take the money that you plan to spend on the souvenir or other useless junk and add it to their tip or if you do not want to do that, just give them the standard tip and leave it at that.

BTW if they actually give you better service if you bribe them at the beginning of the cruise, they should be fired. They are paid and on board to provide service, not to only provide service to the people who bribe them in advance.

DON

I think phone cards used to have some value for some of the crew, but if you look around just off the ship, around the port buildings you will see many, many of the crew with their laptops Skyping their families at home! This is now by far the most economical way for them to communicate regularly with their loved ones. I'm sure there are some crew who don't have computers, but I think it's one of the first things they buy so that they can keep in contact regularly.

Of course, it's also the best way of finding free WiFi access in a port, just follow the crew members off the ship!

I think phone cards used to have some value for some of the crew, but if you look around just off the ship, around the port buildings you will see many, many of the crew with their laptops Skyping their families at home! This is now by far the most economical way for them to communicate regularly with their loved ones. I'm sure there are some crew who don't have computers, but I think it's one of the first things they buy so that they can keep in contact regularly.

Of course, it's also the best way of finding free WiFi access in a port, just follow the crew members off the ship!

The crew know where to buy the phone cards that are best for their use. The is a crew store on board sells phone cards and they get greatly discounted use of the internet on board. They also know where the best internet value or phone stores are at any port. give them what they need if you appreciate what they did for you.not something they may not be able to use at all. plain US dollars or euros. not coins and not two dollar bills either

Wasn't a trick question. Just wondering if you give all your customers good customer service or only those that tipped you upfront and you answered it, thank you.

Glad you cater to the big shots, but happier that the cruise employees treat all customers equally, at least in my experience. Maybe their treatment has more to do with how passengers treat them, than an upfront tip.

You have undoubtedly been satisfied with the service on all your cruises, and therefore naturally draw this conclusion. We all tend to draw conclusions based on anecdotal information.

However, from a scientific standpoint, how would you know that "cruise employees treat all customers equally?" Unless you have cruised as a "big shot" and a "little guy," you would have nothing to compare. And even if you tried to make that comparison by behaving differently on different cruises, the level of service you received would undoubtedly vary from (in this case) steward to steward, so you would have to repeat the experiment many times to be able to draw anything like a valid conclusion.

An "upfront tip" is certainly one of many aspects of "how passengers treat" cruise staff, but if you have never chosen to participate in this aspect, you can't really know whether it "works" (improves level of service.)

Would make an interesting study, though, don't you think -- any volunteers to be the "big shots?"

An "upfront tip" is certainly one of many aspects of "how passengers treat" cruise staff, but if you have never chosen to participate in this aspect, you can't really know whether it "works" (improves level of service.)

Would make an interesting study, though, don't you think -- any volunteers to be the "big shots?"

Having tipped up front on some trips and at the end on some, I haven't noticed a difference in service. Granted, the plural of my anecdotes over a handful of cruises isn't really data that would predict the experience others may have. For me, it isn't the "big shot" thing so much as convenience. I don't think I'm especially demanding of a guest, though I do think my DH is a slob and anyone who cleans up after him deserves a premium. We don't have a lot of specific extra requests onboard.

Twice each year, we attend a catered banquet put on by an association where we are members. If I ask the server for more rolls or a pitcher of water for the table, I tip at the point of the request. I do this because I don't want to forget and when it comes time to leave, I may not see the server. Not everyone is in the custom of tipping a server at such an event as they probably would have in a restaurant, but I do it. I don't often look to whatever everyone else does to inform my choices.

That habit is why I prefer to do the same on a cruise for the cabin steward. I'll see the wait staff at the end, and will tip then. But I may not see my cabin steward on the last night and don't want to leave an unattended envelope. I get to hand it directly to him or her. In that regard, it "works".

I think more has been read into it than is warranted by commenters who oppose the practice. If it is something you don't wish to do, that is certainly your prerogative and it needs no defense. Likewise, if it is your habit to tip in the beginning, it is no more harmful to cruisers who don't tip upfront than putting that money into a slot machine. The cabin steward can only do for the big shot what he or she can do for any passenger.

You have undoubtedly been satisfied with the service on all your cruises, and therefore naturally draw this conclusion. We all tend to draw conclusions based on anecdotal information.

However, from a scientific standpoint, how would you know that "cruise employees treat all customers equally?" Unless you have cruised as a "big shot" and a "little guy," you would have nothing to compare. And even if you tried to make that comparison by behaving differently on different cruises, the level of service you received would undoubtedly vary from (in this case) steward to steward, so you would have to repeat the experiment many times to be able to draw anything like a valid conclusion.

Just as you say, I don't know if I'm treated equally, same goes for the upront tippers. They have no real idea if they are treated special or not.

We never tip in advance. That feels insulting to me. It's a though one is saying they don't think the steward will provide good service if they aren't given some incentive to begin with. We always tip our cabin/dining stewards at the end of the cruise along with bartenders or whoever else we feel made our cruise more special.

We also do not give trinkets or food items unless we are absolutely sure it is something they like. We don't know their dietary restrictions, allergies or likes. I wouldn't eat food given to me by a stranger. Why should they?

JMO.......

Sorry, meant to add........

They don't want souvenirs or trinkets and they have the same luggage weight restrictions when they fly as we do. They have limited personal space on the ship and while we think a souvenir key chain from our home town would be welcome, it likely finds a trash can first opportunity. Why would they want a key chain from a place they have never heard of? :D

Money is always the best. It travels light, it isn't fattening, and they can do with it what they wish.

We typically provide for a "partial" tip at the beginning of the cruise as soon as we meet our room steward. This is simply meant as a gesture of good faith, and that we are approachable guests. We find that it makes for a fabulous ice breaker and does elicit special treatment. After the tip on day one, we reinforce our relationship with our room steward by having brief conversations with them and finding out more about their family and life at home, this way, they treat us like family!

At the end of the cruise, we typically give the rest of the tip amount we slotted to give to the room steward. For everyone on this forum, please also consider giving your favorite cruise staff members an international calling card so they can reach family back home during their off time

For everyone on this forum, please also consider giving your favorite cruise staff members an international calling card so they can reach family back home during their off time

Yes, this was already mentioned but is not necessarily a good idea, as previous posts in this thread will explain.

We typically provide for a "partial" tip at the beginning of the cruise as soon as we meet our room steward. This is simply meant as a gesture of good faith, and that we are approachable guests. We find that it makes for a fabulous ice breaker and does elicit special treatment. After the tip on day one, we reinforce our relationship with our room steward by having brief conversations with them and finding out more about their family and life at home, this way, they treat us like family!

At the end of the cruise, we typically give the rest of the tip amount we slotted to give to the room steward. For everyone on this forum, please also consider giving your favorite cruise staff members an international calling card so they can reach family back home during their off time

This whole thread reminds me of my SIL bragging about his father at the planning of my daughter's wedding. He's telling people what a great guy his dad is because he's a big tipper and how much they will like him because will probably tip out the harpist etc. Then he notices I'm a little p*ssed. One of the few disagreements we've had in the 10 years they've been married. I told him, you brag about your big tipper dad but I've not once heard you brag about my husband who is paying many thousands of dollars for the wedding - including tips. By hey, your dad tipped $100 - score for him! His dad does the same thing at restaurants. Tips when he is seated. He also has never picked up the tab for their dinner, even on special occasions. It's all show.

Oh, and please, don't get them calling cards. That might have been great years ago but today it's SKYPE on their computers and also they can get them cheaper on board. Also, you have to be certain that the calling cards work from the location they are in for the area they are calling. Just give them money so they can get their own card if they want it.

Oh, and please, don't get them calling cards. That might have been great years ago but today it's SKYPE on their computers and also they can get them cheaper on board. Also, you have to be certain that the calling cards work from the location they are in for the area they are calling. Just give them money so they can get their own card if they want it.

You are so right about the calling cards. Years ago, you would see the crew lined up at the pay phones calling home. Now you see them in port at free WIFI places emailing or skypeing.

Archived