Carnival confident of Legend success

Agents will have plenty of “strong talking points” when selling CCL’s second Sydneybased ship.

Such are the long-term plans for Carnival Legend in Australia, it’s booked into the Overseas Passenger Terminal until 2021.

With sales opened this week for its first local season in 2014-15, Carnival Cruise Lines has unveiled the revamps planned for the ship’s upcoming drydock. A Japanese restaurant, a lolly shop and the fleet’s popular RedFrog Pub are among additions that will give it a point of difference to Carnival Spirit and other local vessels.

Legend will also include the most popular features of Spirit, such as the Green Thunder waterslide, the Waterworks area, no tipping, Australian power points, new menu items and better coffee.

“Carnival Legend will be stacked with exciting features for Aussie guests, providing strong talking points for agents looking to sell new and exciting holiday experiences,” CCL director for Australia and New Zealand, Jennifer

Vandekreeke said.

“We’re proud that around 60% of Carnival Spirit bookings are with those new to cruising, interest in cruise holidays.” Vandekreeke also acknowledged local

consultants’ role in the latest deployment. “We’re grateful for the support of our travel agents, as it’s their enthusiastic and ongoing support that’s allowed us to bring a second ship into this market.”

CCL selected the upgrades for Legend based on insights into Australian passengers’ preferences garnered since Spirit started sailing from Sydney last year.

The RedFrog – a southern hemisphere first, and set to feature live music – reflects that the pub is “a cornerstone of Aussie culture”.

The Japanese-inspired restaurant, Bonsai Sushi, will cater to Australians’ liking for Asian food, while those with a sweet tooth can shop at the Cherry on Top “candy-and-more-store”.

Agents can now book Carnival Legend holidays in POLAR, with the first Sydney sailing scheduled for 22 Sep 2014.

Source CruiseWeekly 18July2013

Don't think CCL have done themselves any favourites with no including any cruises to NZ or even departing from NZ. Also they missed an opportunity to mix it up and have some depart from Melbourne.

I haven't tried CCL yet. But I might give it a go. But I find some of the cruises to be overpriced.

I think they didn't want to undersell (e.g. sell out early) when they started and just started with a really high end price.

They've shown a willingness to meet the market when sailings are not selling well. :-)

I'm just off Spirit and it is a great product so am pleased Carnival are continuing to build their Australian presence.

I agree that it is disappointing that Carnival has not based one of its ships out of Melbourne for the summer season. This is an under-served homeport with Princess owning the market.

In addition the OPT is not a great turnaround port so I'm surprised Carnival would want to base 2 ships out of there but given the Harbour Bridge height limitations, they have no choice once they've decided to homeport in Sydney.

Anyone looking at doing the repo cruise from LA to Sydney. I've asked for a quote for both legs FL to LA and then LA to Sydney.

I've also looked at Celebrity repo cruise from San Fran to Sydney on Century. But I think Carnival might be a little bit cheaper.

Don't think CCL have done themselves any favourites with no including any cruises to NZ or even departing from NZ. Also they missed an opportunity to mix it up and have some depart from Melbourne.

I haven't tried CCL yet. But I might give it a go. But I find some of the cruises to be overpriced.

I'm just off Spirit and it is a great product so am pleased Carnival are continuing to build their Australian presence.

I agree that it is disappointing that Carnival has not based one of its ships out of Melbourne for the summer season. This is an under-served homeport with Princess owning the market.

In addition the OPT is not a great turnaround port so I'm surprised Carnival would want to base 2 ships out of there but given the Harbour Bridge height limitations, they have no choice once they've decided to homeport in Sydney.

Must agree also.....I can't understand why there aren't more ships based out of Melbourne, for at least summer anyway. Princess bases the Dawn out of here for a few months and the only place she sails to from Melbourne is NZ.

And Carnival aren't too bad by the way. I went on the Spirit a couple of months ago and it was very good....saw the best band I have seen on a cruise ship....would go on again just to see them again.

I think they didn't want to undersell (e.g. sell out early) when they started and just started with a really high end price.

They've shown a willingness to meet the market when sailings are not selling well. :-)

Hi ,

Yep your right on there.I sailed on Spirit back in May and really enjoyed it.I think by bringing out Carnival Legend it will prove popular and also fear it will further put a another nail in the coffin of P&O australia existence under that name.

Col:)

PO Australia have been pretty smart though in responding to these ships coming down under. They have mixed it up with cruises that go to different ports. And PO Australia has such an established market. So there is bound to be the ones who just travel with them. I quite like their Indonesia Explorer itinerary.

Anyone looking at doing the repo cruise from LA to Sydney. I've asked for a quote for both legs FL to LA and then LA to Sydney.

I've also looked at Celebrity repo cruise from San Fran to Sydney on Century. But I think Carnival might be a little bit cheaper.

Hi iCat, we booked on Legend last weekend when first opened for booking. We are in a 4K cabin (French door). Prices are below, this is military, one passenger over 55, past guests and Early Saver:

* Tampa to LA - 13 days - $3000 for cabin (2 of us) with fees and taxes

* LA to Sydney - 23 days (really 22 as lose day when cross International Date Line) - $4500 for cabin (2 of us) with fees and taxes.

When we did Hawaii to Sydney on Spirit last year, many passengers who booked Early Saver were given as much as $1700 per cabin in OBC as cabins were reduced so much before final due date for payment.

Hope this helps. :o)

We're booked - same as Jamocall, 4k from Tampa to Sydney, same prices, and agree completely regarding the OBC on last year's Spirit repo. Thirteen months to go!

So I got my boards mixed up. Doh!!

Hi ,

it will further iput a another nail in the coffin of P&O australia existence under that name.

Col:)

Can we put the nail in that coffin. P&O is not going anywhere. They have been spending too much money to make them more attractive, also their sales are strong even though other lines need to lower fares to sell out.

Also add the money they have been spending on looking for new destinations, in which many of them can not be visited by the other ships due to size. Also add the money they have been paying to be shown on tv programs. Soon they will be features on "The Living Room" as they were filming onboard the Pacific Pearl the other week. If they really wanted to end P&O they would of stopped all this by now and slowly let the brand die out a little, not trying to give the brand attention. It would make no sense at all. I would bet the reason they moved the Carnival Spirit here in the first place was to quickly increase their capacity in the region without the risk of commitment if the market dies suddenly, as the ships can be moved straight back to America or some other destination. Whereas if they transferred the ship to P&O they had the much larger risk, of transforming the ship, buying new uniforms, costumes, new shows, paper work, and everything labeled. Then if the market was flooded or suddenly dropped they would have one too many ships, and they would then need to spend the money to either transfer it back into Carnival branding or sell of another ship. It was never an attempt to end P&O as they basically represent cruising in Australia and is the first line people think of when mentioning cruise lines (unless they seen something about another line recently, or are more interest in cruise ships then the average person.)

I would bet the reason they moved the Carnival Spirit here in the first place was to quickly increase their capacity in the region without the risk of commitment if the market dies suddenly, as the ships can be moved straight back to America or some other destination. Whereas if they transferred the ship to P&O they had the much larger risk, of transforming the ship, buying new uniforms, costumes, new shows, paper work, and everything labeled. Then if the market was flooded or suddenly dropped they would have one too many ships, and they would then need to spend the money to either transfer it back into Carnival branding or sell of another ship. It was never an attempt to end P&O as they basically represent cruising in Australia and is the first line people think of when mentioning cruise lines (unless they seen something about another line recently, or are more interest in cruise ships then the average person.)

I still think they also kept the brands separate as they do have different standards and facilities. Putting Spirit in as she is would make P&O passengers unhappy when they went on other ships. They do target slightly different markets.

Can we put the nail in that coffin. P&O is not going anywhere. They have been spending too much money to make them more attractive, also their sales are strong even though other lines need to lower fares to sell out.

I dont think P&O (Australia) are going anywhere either.......however when the ships reach the end of their economic life I cannot see them being replaced.....thats when Carnival will take over and will cater to the new generation that grown up with them .

At that stage P&O will be a wholly British cruise line.

Hi iCat, we booked on Legend last weekend when first opened for booking. We are in a 4K cabin (French door). Prices are below, this is military, one passenger over 55, past guests and Early Saver:

* Tampa to LA - 13 days - $3000 for cabin (2 of us) with fees and taxes

* LA to Sydney - 23 days (really 22 as lose day when cross International Date Line) - $4500 for cabin (2 of us) with fees and taxes.

When we did Hawaii to Sydney on Spirit last year, many passengers who booked Early Saver were given as much as $1700 per cabin in OBC as cabins were reduced so much before final due date for payment.

Hope this helps. :o)

Thank you very much.

I noticed when you book on carnival there is three options. Could you perhaps explain them and what the benefits and consequences of each terms are : I think one is called Early Saver, Fun Select and Super Saver.

Many thanks.

Also add the money they have been spending on looking for new destinations, in which many of them can not be visited by the other ships due to size. Also add the money they have been paying to be shown on tv programs. Soon they will be features on "The Living Room" as they were filming onboard the Pacific Pearl the other week. If they really wanted to end P&O they would of stopped all this by now and slowly let the brand die out a little, not trying to give the brand attention. It would make no sense at all. I would bet the reason they moved the Carnival Spirit here in the first place was to quickly increase their capacity in the region without the risk of commitment if the market dies suddenly, as the ships can be moved straight back to America or some other destination. Whereas if they transferred the ship to P&O they had the much larger risk, of transforming the ship, buying new uniforms, costumes, new shows, paper work, and everything labeled. Then if the market was flooded or suddenly dropped they would have one too many ships, and they would then need to spend the money to either transfer it back into Carnival branding or sell of another ship. It was never an attempt to end P&O as they basically represent cruising in Australia and is the first line people think of when mentioning cruise lines (unless they seen something about another line recently, or are more interest in cruise ships then the average person.)

what about spending some money on decent ships....then we would all sail on P&O

I dont think P&O (Australia) are going anywhere either.......however when the ships reach the end of their economic life I cannot see them being replaced.....thats when Carnival will take over and will cater to the new generation that grown up with them .

At that stage P&O will be a wholly British cruise line.

Hard to say. There'll still be surplus ships in sister lines that are looking for a home :-)

I thought that P&O Australia's ships would eventually be rebranded as Carnival ships but having recently come back from a cruise on Spirit, I believe this is unlikely. The difference in the product is too wide. Spirit (and Legend) are a class level above P&O Australia in product as well as being much more modern. There is no way the existing P&O ships could be branded as Carnival downunder without damaging the Carnival brand.

Carnival will continue to grow in Australia over the next few years as they replace their Spirit and Destiny class vessels in the US fleet. At the same time, the P&O fleet will either continue to exist at the bottom end of the market or will be sold off by Carnival Corporation.

I thought that P&O Australia's ships would eventually be rebranded as Carnival ships but having recently come back from a cruise on Spirit, I believe this is unlikely. The difference in the product is too wide. Spirit (and Legend) are a class level above P&O Australia in product as well as being much more modern. There is no way the existing P&O ships could be branded as Carnival downunder without damaging the Carnival brand.

Carnival will continue to grow in Australia over the next few years as they replace their Spirit and Destiny class vessels in the US fleet. At the same time, the P&O fleet will either continue to exist at the bottom end of the market or will be sold off by Carnival Corporation.

thats my point P&O put on a good cruise but their ships are old in comparision to other lines and their prices are not cheaper

I still think Carnival will test the waters in Asia and potentially look at moving the entire P&O fleet in one fell swoop. Almost like they did with Ocean Village in the UK and moving the ships here. They've aligned the ships so they all have exactly the same facilities on board. If they decide that Asia is a viable market, they could easily rebrand the fleet and move them to Asia, with Carnival here to plug the gap left in the market. We won't have another Carnival ship positioned here permanently until that happens (hence why Legend is only doing seasonal sailing to begin with).

Has anyone looked at the forwarded booking for Sydney ports?

It is showing the Carnival Legend arrival as 22nd September 2014 to 05th April 2015. When it returns on 15th October 2015 I can not see where she is returning to the US for their summer season. Also it is showing as tentative berths until January 2021. From this it looks like it maybe permanently based in Australia.

Thank you very much.

I noticed when you book on carnival there is three options. Could you perhaps explain them and what the benefits and consequences of each terms are : I think one is called Early Saver, Fun Select and Super Saver.

Many thanks.

In short,

Super Saver: cheapest, but guarantee only. Non-refundable deposit. (Yes, happens in the US too, despite claims to contrary! :-)

Early Saver: cheaper than Fun Select. Only sold up to 3 or 5 months before cruise. If price falls after purchase, you get a refund of difference as OBC.

Fun Select: Standard i.e. full price. e.g. available when early saver has expired. May get upgraded depending on availability.

thats my point P&O put on a good cruise but their ships are old in comparision to other lines and their prices are not cheaper

Hard to make a blanket statement, but I do find them generally cheaper than the competitors now (although that doesn't mean all are cheaper).

Archived