Should Enchantment call on Freeport, Bahamas instead of the sea day?

Should Enchantment call on Freeport, Bahamas instead of the sea day on the 4 Night?  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Should Enchantment call on Freeport, Bahamas instead of the sea day on the 4 Night?

• Yes - Call on Freeport, Bahamas
    • No - The day at sea is better than Freeport
    • Maybe - More development is needed at the port
    • Alternate between the sea day one week and Freeport the next week
    • Add Freeport call to another ship instead of Enchantment

We enjoyed Freeport. I wonder how many who say they don't like it are judging it based on what is right there at the port? Not a good way to judge the place at all. We have never been disappointed in any port we have been to (and there are a lot) because we research and plan ahead.

I don't know what your problem is ,however I find it extremely offensive for someone to call someone's home a dump! Its fine if you don't like someplace but you don't have to be rude!

I agree! A large number of passengers could not even afford to live in the greater N.Y. area.......;):)

Back in the early 90's my first trip out of the US was to Freeport. We had a great time and enjoyed the laid back island.

I think the addition of another port would be wonderful for the 4 nights out of Port Canaveral, especially in the summer. We made the mistake of the 4 nighter in July and were miserable from the heat on the sea day. The Captain was obviously trying to save fuel because we basically floated - no real air moving to cool things off. :mad:

Royal Caribbean used to call on Freeport, Bahamas in the past. Now they mostly go there for dry dock. People have said they would rather have a sea day instead of calling on Grand Bahama Island (Freeport).

Times have changed. Senor Frogs is now at that port. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1774314

Looks like Freeport may be a better place to go than in the past.

On the Monarch, I did the 4-Night and missed CocoCay due to high winds. We attempted to go to Nassau a day early, but weren't allowed to dock until the next day, so we just floated in place for the day. I would have the ship moving or be able to get off in a port. I've never been to Grand Bahama Island, but would like to go someday, preferably aboard a Royal Caribbean ship.

With Enchantment now doing the Bahamas route from Port Canaveral and a Senor Frogs in Freeport, would anyone like to see Freeport added as a port of call in place of the sea day on the 4 Night sailings?

I would rather have a sea day than go to Freeport. Yes, it does need more development. My first NCL (4 day Sky) stopped in Freeport. We had to board a motorcoach for a long ride to a area with shops. The island was demolished by one of the bigger hurricanes.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at a Royal Caribbean brochure for 1995-1996, The Nordic Empress sailed to Freeport, Bahamas on the 4 Night Bahamas from Miami. She was in Freeport 8:00AM - 3:00PM on a Tuesday, Nassau 9:00AM - 6:00PM on a Wednesday, and CocoCay 7:30AM - 5:00PM on Thursday.

I like the current schedule for Majesty with the longer time in Nassau, but it would be nice if they switched the days back to the one above, with the call to Key West in place of Freeport to avoid the whole U.S. Customs/Immigration thing we have to deal with now with Key West at the end of the cruise on a Thursday.

As for the Enchantment, this is the itinerary I would like to see (with the longer call in Nassau), only move Freeport to the end and slide the other two port calls up one day when changing the Majesty schedule.

I know many of you disagree and like the sea day on Enchantment, but this is just my opinion. I can still dream of going to Freeport, Bahamas; but it'll probably be on Norwegian Sky or a Carnival ship.:eek:

That's if I'm unable to sail the Explorer in Dec. '14.

Edited by TM38Rob

Freeport is far from being a dump. You have to take a 5.00 cab to Lucaya beach area, which you will find very nice. I doubt RCCL would consider stopping at both Nassau and Freeport on the short runs because a sea day earns them more revenue.

I've voted yes, would be interesting to see somewhere different, but, partly for selfish reasons as we've done this itinerary twice and will be doing it again in September and prefer to stay on the ship, so the more ports the quieter the ship for us to stay on.

My thoughts exactly!!!

• 11 months later...

Was just shopping the 8/18/14 EN cruise, and the itin shows a stop at Grand Bahama. This is a very recent development as I've been shopping the itinerary near daily for a few weeks.

Edited by MJonTravel

Wow a Senior Frogs? Now that convinced me - NO a seaday is better than Freeport!!!

Actually a day at sea is better than Freeport or Nassau. Actually anything is better than those two.:o

Must be one big Senior Frogs to allow 3000 passengers to stop in. :eek: I vote sea day as well

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Yay Freeport! Those dumpy port days are better than sea days! All the uninitiated disembark to visit the booze frog and buy junk. Whilst we cruise professionals enjoy the quiet and sparsely populated pool deck! :D ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5

We enjoyed Freeport. I wonder how many who say they don't like it are judging it based on what is right there at the port? Not a good way to judge the place at all. We have never been disappointed in any port we have been to (and there are a lot) because we research and plan ahead.

Not true with us!

We spent a week at a resort on Grand Bahama Island once on a deal we saw advertised on TV where you you cruised over on a Ship out of Fort Lauderdale (Company no longer in business) and you stayed for the week then you cruised back to Fort Lauderdale at the end of the week. People are always taklking about Nassau, but I would take a port stop in Nassau over a port stop on Grand Bahama Island any day. We didn't like Grand Bahama Island at all and were so glad when that week was over. Don't get me wrong, we make a good time out of anywhere we go and are not really complainers, so we had a good time but it is just not someplace we would want to go to again. I'm not like others who said it's a dump because its not! There was a couple we met at the resort who loves it and vacation there every year, so there are pople that like it!

I didn't vote.....as long as I'm on a ship, I don't care where it goes. Just stay on the ship if you don't want to go into Freeport. You would be on the ship all day anyway. Just might not be that much to do as when you are at sea, but hey, at least you are on vacation.:D

Gwen :)

Just because there is a Senor Frog's there now would not be a reason to go to Freeport. I will say that I kinda like Freeport better than Nassau, it seems more laid back in Freeport than Nassau to me.

Just because there is a Senor Frog's there now would not be a reason to go to Freeport. I will say that I kinda like Freeport better than Nassau, it seems more laid back in Freeport than Nassau to me.

I liked Freeport too. I did a really interesting cooking class there. We made a filling, exotic lunch consisting of classic Bahamian dishes. There was time to swim on the beach too. I felt safer leaving my things unattended that I would have in Nassau. And yes, I paid a visit to the local Senor Frog's before heading back to the ship. It was a lot of fun, even though I was there in broad daylight. Had one of their mixed drinks and danced with some new people. Good times!

Senor Frog's may not be a reason for visiting Freeport in the first place, but it's definitely a fun way to end a port visit. It wouldn't be a Fun Ship without some crazy cocktails and dancing.

• 2 weeks later...
Was just shopping the 8/18/14 EN cruise, and the itin shows a stop at Grand Bahama. This is a very recent development as I've been shopping the itinerary near daily for a few weeks.

Thanks for the update MJonTravel.

Looks like RCI just added Grand Bahama to the sailing the week before as well for the 8/11/14 EN cruise.

Amazing, a year since this thread was started and Enchantment has two calls to Grand Bahama coming up. Not sure if RCI is just doing this as a test, or if the ship might need some minor repairs as the Dry Dock is nearby.

I've heard that RCI sends ships to call there just prior to Dry Dock (like Explorer) so the engineers can take measurements and other preparations. Enchantment recently had a dry dock to get her "enhancements". I sure hope they're not going to send her back to dry dock early like Freedom to re-enhancement the "enhancements".

• 2 weeks later...

I'll post a response after we get back. We purchased the 8/11 run WITHOUT a stop in Freeport, but it was added after purchase.

So, guess I'll vote after I have a more informed opinion!

I like days at sea, so I am already leaning one way, but I'll give it a shot.:cool: