Should Enchantment call on Freeport, Bahamas instead of the sea day?

Should Enchantment call on Freeport, Bahamas instead of the sea day on the 4 Night?  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Should Enchantment call on Freeport, Bahamas instead of the sea day on the 4 Night?

• Yes - Call on Freeport, Bahamas
    • No - The day at sea is better than Freeport
    • Maybe - More development is needed at the port
    • Alternate between the sea day one week and Freeport the next week
    • Add Freeport call to another ship instead of Enchantment

Royal Caribbean used to call on Freeport, Bahamas in the past. Now they mostly go there for dry dock. People have said they would rather have a sea day instead of calling on Grand Bahama Island (Freeport).

Times have changed. Senor Frogs is now at that port. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1774314

Looks like Freeport may be a better place to go than in the past.

On the Monarch, I did the 4-Night and missed CocoCay due to high winds. We attempted to go to Nassau a day early, but weren't allowed to dock until the next day, so we just floated in place for the day. I would have the ship moving or be able to get off in a port. I've never been to Grand Bahama Island, but would like to go someday, preferably aboard a Royal Caribbean ship.

With Enchantment now doing the Bahamas route from Port Canaveral and a Senor Frogs in Freeport, would anyone like to see Freeport added as a port of call in place of the sea day on the 4 Night sailings?

Edited by TM38Rob

I've voted yes, would be interesting to see somewhere different, but, partly for selfish reasons as we've done this itinerary twice and will be doing it again in September and prefer to stay on the ship, so the more ports the quieter the ship for us to stay on.

Independence of the Seas went to the Freeport for the first time last December when they got bumped from Nassau.

Below is the link to the pictures when I was there when it arrived.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1749264

At the time I had no idea they have never been there, it was quite a funny story I guess. The Carnival Glory was there the first half of the day and I was there on the Carnival Ecstasy. I had learned earlier that Independence would be going there because of being bumped in Nassau because of my "Live" trip report. Odd part is it had been years since I was in Nassau I was confused why when we docked I did not see the Independence but only saw the Carnival Pride. We ventured on the sailing boat from Germany for awhile and had a few passengers with us from the Pride. We got back what I thought was way to early. But then learned it was because of the fairly early departure of the Carnival Pride. Think they left at 1:30, I'd have to go back to my report to see the times. Anyways I was anxious to see the Independence come in as I watched the Carnival Pride leave. I waited, waited and waited. A lady in one of the stores I got to chatting with a few times and I said are you excited another ship is coming in, she said there isn't another ship today, this is it. I said, oh no.. there is another ship coming in, the Independence of the Seas should be here very soon. You may want to get ready for a new swarm of people. She then later saw me and said thank you for the heads up she confirmed what news I had told her.

Then not long after she finally came into the port looking ever so beautiful. As she was coming in I couldn't help notice those that work at the pier to be in such awe too, so I asked...why so much awe and so much excitement, don't you see this all the time? That's when I learned from them at the pier that this ship has never been there before. One lady stated that only Nassau gets all the ships. Anyways needless to say it was all quite fun to watch this beautiful ship arrive into port and the excitement of the locals in seeing her for the first time.

Off in the distance and I can't find any pictures but at that time I was there Enchantment of the Seas was in her dry dock.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more one offs here and there go there. Though my guess is ships that will go there will always be more that depart from areas outside of Florida that don't have many ports availale to hit in a 7 day cruise.

My live report when I got to see the Independence of the Seas in Freeport.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1746672

I vote for keeping the sea day, not because it is necessarily better than Freeport (or any other port for that matter) but because it is nice to have a full day with nothing else to do but explore and enjoy all that the ship has to offer.

I am looking forward to the day at sea in October, it is one of our favorite days, so relaxing. I vote keep the day at sea and skip Freeport:).

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I would definitely prefer a day at sea to Freeport. While they have built a little shopping village at the port, anything else is a fairly long taxi ride away. Key West is a great alternative, but now Carnival dropped it from their cruises out of Jax.

We've had to visit Freeport many times on short cruises out of Florida and would much rather Nassau. At least until someone builds a new island!

I say alternate itineraries. I visited Freeport on my last cruise, and had a pretty good time there. The excursion I went on didn't have an equivalent in Nassau (generally a better-liked port compared to Freeport); it was a cooking class with Bahamian food, plus free time on a semi-public beach. So it's best to give people a choice: a sea day one week, Freeport the other week.

A sea day or going somewhere because an Americanized Senor Frogs was built there. Hmmmmm. I think I'll take the sea day.

Sorry...I just hate all these ports getting developed with these stupid restaurants that put the local joints out of business. Let me guess, there's a Diamonds International next to it. :rolleyes:

I've never been to Grand Bahama Island, but would like to go someday, preferably aboard a Royal Caribbean ship

Then join us on the Explorer Dec 13, 2014, out of PC! It's going to Grand Bahama, plus CocoCay, Nassau, and a day at sea. It's what you're asking for from the Enchantment, without having to choose.

Spent a week there at a resort for prize I had won and was not impressed with Freeport at all. I was glad when the week was up! So for me a sea day would be better as I don't care if I ever go back there again in life!

Then join us on the Explorer Dec 13, 2014, out of PC! It's going to Grand Bahama, plus CocoCay, Nassau, and a day at sea. It's what you're asking for from the Enchantment, without having to choose.

Looks like "Add Freeport call to another ship instead of Enchantment" won with only 1 vote!

Thank you yj_eugene, I forgot there was an itinerary with Grand Bahama. And it includes a Day at Sea. It's a win-win for everyone. Even those who didn't like Grand Bahama in the past can stay aboard and enjoy the ship with fewer people aboard.

I was thinking of doing the special 5 Night in October on Oasis to Nassau and Cozumel. The Explorer itinerary looks better. Something to think about. It will be new ship vs. new port for me.

Thanks again yj_eugene!

-Robbie

Edited by TM38Rob

If I wanted to visit a dump on vacation I would sail from Bayonne.
I don't know what your problem is ,however I find it extremely offensive for someone to call someone's home a dump! Its fine if you don't like someplace but you don't have to be rude!

Had a great time in Freeport during our last cruise and would even consider a longer stay. Fresh conch salad on the beach, Kalik beers at a tiki bar with live reggae music, shopping and wonderful people who appreciate your vacation dollar.:cool: