Lets talk about Gratuity vs. Service Charge?

SeaportMike

Sailing on the Norwegian Dawn in 98 days, I was given the option to prepay this for $168.00:

The convenience of pre-paying service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. A discretionary charge of $ 12.00 per person per day for all guests 3 years or older will automatically be added to your onboard account. Your service charges will total $ 168.00 for all guests, for your entire cruise.

Is this a mandatory gratuity per day or what? I'm assuming its not and standard tipping is still customary? Thanks in advance!

Tipping/gratuity/service charge amounts and policies vary by cruise line.

You'll get replies with information specific to your cruise on the NCL board.

You will get unrequested advice and suppositions on this topic many of the boards :)

I agree with the previous poster, better to research this thorny issue than to start a new thread. good luck

It's the gratuity - tip - whatever you want to call it. You're just paying it up front so the whole thing is done. You're set. Any additional to anyone who goes above and beyond is up to you. :)

Almost all cruise lines are doing it this way now. I really like it - much easier for us.

Sailing on the Norwegian Dawn in 98 days, I was given the option to prepay this for $168.00:

The convenience of pre-paying service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. A discretionary charge of $ 12.00 per person per day for all guests 3 years or older will automatically be added to your onboard account. Your service charges will total $ 168.00 for all guests, for your entire cruise.

Is this a mandatory gratuity per day or what? I'm assuming its not and standard tipping is still customary? Thanks in advance!

Did you miss the part about "automatically be added to your onboard account"??

You have to MANUALLY take if off your onboard account. AND most cruise lines ask WHY you are taking it off (I don't sail NCL but I would guess they do also). They want to know what you found so bad that you are deducting their "service charge".

Call it what you want-it might as well be mandatory. And standard tipping means the money goes into a pot and is split between the crew, some of whom you may not even want to tip or know about. There is also a list on most ships about who has removed the service charge.

Mike, please disregard the fuddy-duddys you might encounter in this thread...they are simply tired of the incessant threads from people complaining about

"why do I have to tip...don't they pay these people a decent wage?"

Or

"in MY country we treat our workers with respect, why don't you?"

Or

"I don't want to pay any more for this cruise, I'm gonna take all my gratuities back"

You get the idea. A cursory search will show you how many there are and the heated nature of the threads. I'm not sure why people read threads about tipping if they are so inflamed about the subject.

Anyway, the gratuities can be paid in advance...we like that so we can better budget. Please remember that there are tips in there for people you don't see or might not consider tipping otherwise: the person who serves you buffet food, the busboys at the buffet, the laundry do-ers, etc. All these people play a part in the enjoyment of your cruise. We appreciate their hard work and tip accordingly.

BUT, tipping is a personal decision. These are guidelines. You will be the one thAt determines if they are appropriate.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

OP, in years past, cruisers were expected to hand out tips in cash in envelopes to crew members on the last night. This practice became impractical as short cruises developed and ships got bigger. Lines at the purser's were long as folks withdrew cash and got envelopes.

In addition with many folks tending to be cashless and the fact that many find that practice of face to face gratuties uncomfortable, cruise lines introduced the auto tips as a convenience to guests. They also developed the prepay auto gratitudies as a response to guests that like to have no vacation expenses after their vacation.

Simply a new cruiser asking a simple question, did not mean to ignite previous frustrations. Thanks to those who answered the question.

They should have realized you are new to CC and as you mentioned, a new cruiser as well - glad you were able to get your question answered - Host Corkey

With freestyle dining on NCL you will likely have different waitstaff each meal. Having the gratuities added to your account (or pre-paying) them, makes it much easier on you to thank the crew that works long hours to make sure you have a great cruise.

Hope you enjoy your first (but not likely last) cruise!

Did you miss the part about "automatically be added to your onboard account"??

You have to MANUALLY take if off your onboard account. AND most cruise lines ask WHY you are taking it off (I don't sail NCL but I would guess they do also). They want to know what you found so bad that you are deducting their "service charge".

Call it what you want-it might as well be mandatory. And standard tipping means the money goes into a pot and is split between the crew, some of whom you may not even want to tip or know about. There is also a list on most ships about who has removed the service charge.

A service charge which can be removed CANNOT be called mandatory. And, what is wrong about the cruise line wanting to know why you wish to remove the charge? There are two very valid reasons: they do not want to make it too easy for cheapskates to stiff the service personnel; if there is a valid reason for removal, the line would want to know so they can remedy the situation.

it covers the room attendant and all meals in no fee venues. while not 'mandatory' in the sense that they will not let you off the ship if you don't agree to pay it, it should be considered a normal part of the cruise price like taxes and port fees.

there is no requirement to tip more after this amount is paid although you are certainly welcome to do so if you personally think they went over and above. we usually think they do and add an additional amount n cash at the end. sometimes it is a token $20, others it is much more, based on what they did for us.

we also Volunteer to pre pay regardless of whether the cruise line demands it( most Any time/My time/flexible dining options do as you will not necessarily get the same wait staff each night) I just like to have as much of the solid costs aid for up front as possible.

When I asked, a waiter told me he was paid $75 A MONTH by the ship. That is why they work for and deserve the tips they get. In the old days you'd get an envelop in your cabin for cash for your waiter, bus boy and steward. But some people gave empty envelops, some not the recommended amount. Now with the auto tips they do get the tips they have earned! And for service above the normal, we give extra cash tips at the end of the cruise!

A service charge which can be removed CANNOT be called mandatory.

I posted "might as well be mandatory". And it might as well!!!

And, what is wrong about the cruise line wanting to know why you wish to remove the charge? There are two very valid reasons: they do not want to make it too easy for cheapskates to stiff the service personnel; if there is a valid reason for removal, the line would want to know so they can remedy the situation.

I agree. And you are correct-if you could just opt out without speaking to the front desk, there would be a whole lot more opt outs without a valid reason.

How frustrating it must be when supervisors ask crew members why a guest removed the tips! Think about when your boss asked you about a customer that you thought was pleased and then blindsided you with something so they could get a discount.

Sounded like Mike's question was, is the tipping on top of the service charge?

Mike, the service charge is their term for tips/gratuities. All one and the same.

Do the auto tip, it's SO much easier.

Have a wonderful cruise!

...There is also a list on most ships about who has removed the service charge.

I don't understand how this would work as I have been told, on Holland America at least, the service charge cannot be removed until the last night of any 7 day cruise.

Scott & Karen

Archived