Earthquakes in NZ just now.

Hello Mic, how are you and Rosie? Found this Australia and New Zealand Cruisers on Cruise Critic Message Board Forrums. Sad to here your friends went though the quake, it would be hard to live with the fear that a big quake could happen anytime.

Mic, I don't know how to send private messages, can't work it out. Would like to contact Karen, but don't know how.

I have booked another cruise Oct 2013 Singapore to Sydney.

Hope I hear from you. Tracey from Newcastle

Hi Tracey, yeah the quakes have everyone anxious. Our friends main damage apart from glasses and photo frames and such falling off shelves, was her big screen TV fell off the wall and didn't survive.

I am not sure of the messages either but she is auzikaz, so maybe try that or sending a friend request. I am not sure that she is on here that much.

Nice cruise, we will be doing the transpacific on the Solstice in Sept/Oct.

cheers mic:D

The Port in Wellington seems to be OK. A small container ship was due this afternoon and she has docked.

The cruise wharf at Aotea appears unscathed.

According to the webcam the InterIsland Ferries are still working.

The only reports of damage have been...

Part of the city's port, which is on reclaimed land, has collapsed and one container has been lost into the harbour, while large cracks are visible on the port's grounds.

Another concern is whether they carry on like Christchurch's did.

I have lived in Wellington for over 40 years and this quake was the worst I have felt. It was greater in intensity than the February 22 Christchurch earthquake. The City Council has toughened up building regulations for many years and this policy paid off in Sunday's earthquake, as most damage was to building exteriors. Many old buildings have been pulled down or strengthened over many years. By contrast Christchurch never had such a policy and many old brick buildings came down. Still we are always waiting for the BIG ONE and we are constantly reminded of that every time we go to a cricket match at the Basin Reserve once a haven for small boats or to our airport and its surrounding suburb Miramar which was once an island before the 1855 quake.

Hi Tracey, yeah the quakes have everyone anxious. Our friends main damage apart from glasses and photo frames and such falling off shelves, was her big screen TV fell off the wall and didn't survive.

I am not sure of the messages either but she is auzikaz, so maybe try that or sending a friend request. I am not sure that she is on here that much.

Nice cruise, we will be doing the transpacific on the Solstice in Sept/Oct.

cheers mic:D

Its so good to hear from you. I just got home from having dinner out with John and Gaye, I met them on the Solstice cruise, they live 5 mins from me. I was going to do another Solstice cruise 10th Dec 2013, but went for the Singapore to Sydney, its my 1st flight overseas. Its a bit of a test to see how I will go on the plane would like to do a Med Cruise, May 2014. Say hello to Rosie for me. Tracey:)

I have lived in Wellington for over 40 years and this quake was the worst I have felt. It was greater in intensity than the February 22 Christchurch earthquake. The City Council has toughened up building regulations for many years and this policy paid off in Sunday's earthquake, as most damage was to building exteriors. Many old buildings have been pulled down or strengthened over many years. By contrast Christchurch never had such a policy and many old brick buildings came down. Still we are always waiting for the BIG ONE and we are constantly reminded of that every time we go to a cricket match at the Basin Reserve once a haven for small boats or to our airport and its surrounding suburb Miramar which was once an island before the 1855 quake.

Kiwi Kruzer: The Port in Wellington seems to be OK. A small container ship was due this afternoon and she has docked. The cruise wharf at Aotea appears unscathed. According to the webcam the InterIsland Ferries are still working. The only reports of damage have been... Part of the city's port' date=' which is on reclaimed land, has collapsed and one container has been lost into the harbour, while large cracks are visible on the port's grounds. [/quote']

Appreciate the added background and insights for how things have hit with this NZ earthquake. I especially like the comparisons from kiwijohn for how the building codes were upgraded and improved for Wellington versus Christchurch. Will share this background with those on our Solstice Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014 roll call. I'm sure they will find these items of interest. Fortunately there appears, so far, to be no loss of life or major injuries.

From the New Zealand Herald within the past few hours, they have this headline: "Wellington earthquake: Rail services resume" with these highlights: "Wellington rail services have resumed following inspections for earthquake-related damage. Tranz Metro will be operating a half hourly timetable from 1pm for the rest of the day and normal operations are expected to resume tomorrow. Passengers should be aware that services may stop again for track inspections if there are any strong aftershocks, Tranz Metro warned. Wellington City Council and Civil Defence are still asking people to avoid the city centre for the rest of the day to give crews time to fully assess and clean up any damage."

Another of their news articles noted: "35 buildings damaged in CBD". Here were more details in this article from the Auckland-based, major NZ newspaper: "Wellington's mayor is hopeful it will be business as normal tomorrow despite 35 buildings in the CBD found to have been externally damaged by yesterday's severe earthquake. Engineers have spent the day assessing almost 2500 buildings in central Wellington following the magnitude-6.5 quake which struck in the Cook Strait just after 5pm yesterday. The quake, which has been followed by hundreds of aftershocks, caused widespread damage. Mayor Celia Wade-Brown said most of it was minor and no structural damage had been discovered. About 12 buildings on a section of Featherston Street were cordoned off due to concerns about falling masonry and glass. Glass and masonry were still falling from about a dozen buildings and those areas had been cordoned off, but most roads had reopened."

Full story at:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10901484

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10901475

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 136,177 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Its so good to hear from you. I just got home from having dinner out with John and Gaye, I met them on the Solstice cruise, they live 5 mins from me. I was going to do another Solstice cruise 10th Dec 2013, but went for the Singapore to Sydney, its my 1st flight overseas. Its a bit of a test to see how I will go on the plane would like to do a Med Cruise, May 2014. Say hello to Rosie for me. Tracey:)

No Problems, will do.:D

Still we are always waiting for the BIG ONE and we are constantly reminded of that every time we go to a cricket match at the Basin Reserve once a haven for small boats or to our airport and its surrounding suburb Miramar which was once an island before the 1855 quake.

I never realised that this was the case, I just thought it was reclaimed land.:D

Appreciate the added background and insights for how things have hit with this NZ earthquake. I especially like the comparisons from kiwijohn for how the building codes were upgraded and improved for Wellington versus Christchurch. Will share this background with those on our Solstice Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014 roll call. I'm sure they will find these items of interest. Fortunately there appears, so far, to be no loss of life or major injuries.

From the New Zealand Herald within the past few hours, they have this headline: "Wellington earthquake: Rail services resume" with these highlights: "Wellington rail services have resumed following inspections for earthquake-related damage. Tranz Metro will be operating a half hourly timetable from 1pm for the rest of the day and normal operations are expected to resume tomorrow. Passengers should be aware that services may stop again for track inspections if there are any strong aftershocks, Tranz Metro warned. Wellington City Council and Civil Defence are still asking people to avoid the city centre for the rest of the day to give crews time to fully assess and clean up any damage."

Another of their news articles noted: "35 buildings damaged in CBD". Here were more details in this article from the Auckland-based, major NZ newspaper: "Wellington's mayor is hopeful it will be business as normal tomorrow despite 35 buildings in the CBD found to have been externally damaged by yesterday's severe earthquake. Engineers have spent the day assessing almost 2500 buildings in central Wellington following the magnitude-6.5 quake which struck in the Cook Strait just after 5pm yesterday. The quake, which has been followed by hundreds of aftershocks, caused widespread damage. Mayor Celia Wade-Brown said most of it was minor and no structural damage had been discovered. About 12 buildings on a section of Featherston Street were cordoned off due to concerns about falling masonry and glass. Glass and masonry were still falling from about a dozen buildings and those areas had been cordoned off, but most roads had reopened."

Full story at:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10901484

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10901475

I wouldn't worry too much Terry, it should be all settled again by the time you get there, I hope.:D

Just arrived in Shaky Isles now. I am in Palmerston North, so a wee way from Wellington.

Best wishes to our friends in Wellington. I really am starting to think I am bad luck - each time I am arranging a trip here there is an earthquake or min-tornado or some sort of natural disaster.

Just arrived in Shaky Isles now. I am in Palmerston North, so a wee way from Wellington.

Best wishes to our friends in Wellington. I really am starting to think I am bad luck - each time I am arranging a trip here there is an earthquake or min-tornado or some sort of natural disaster.

Remind me where else you are going please, I may need to chnage my plans. :eek:

I hope things are ok there for your trip.:D

For the information of visitors to Wellington, if you are caught in an earthquake, the safest building in Wellington is our National Museum, Te Papa which is built on reclaimed land. Before it was built the land was compacted by dropping 30 ton weights 50,000 times much to the anoyance of local residents. Shock absorber foundations made of rubber and lead let the building move up to half a metre in any direction. THe building is designed to withstand an earthquake of 8.5 intensity. In the recent 6.5 earthquake the museum director reported that the only damage was an old rugby ball that fell off a stand and the hind leg of Phar Lap's skeleton (the famous Australasian racehorse) moved out of place.

For the information of visitors to Wellington, if you are caught in an earthquake, the safest building in Wellington is our National Museum, Te Papa which is built on reclaimed land. Before it was built the land was compacted by dropping 30 ton weights 50,000 times much to the anoyance of local residents. Shock absorber foundations made of rubber and lead let the building move up to half a metre in any direction. THe building is designed to withstand an earthquake of 8.5 intensity. In the recent 6.5 earthquake the museum director reported that the only damage was an old rugby ball that fell off a stand and the hind leg of Phar Lap's skeleton (the famous Australasian racehorse) moved out of place.

MicCanberra: I wouldn't worry too much Terry' date=' it should be all settled again by the time you get there, I hope. [/quote']

Appreciate the interesting background and insights from kiwijohn. Good to know about these unique steps that were used to create "shock absorbers" for such a large building. Another good reason to visit the National Museum, Te Papa!

Nice to read the "it should be all settled" comments/hopes by MicCanberra, but I think some "action" will always be happening there in NZ given the geo factors in that part of the world. Kind of like in California. Can't avoid those potentials. Interesting, cute phrase noted by mr walker for calling NZ as "Shaky Isles". Will share these items on our roll call.

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at over 8,969 views for this shorter version of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Appreciate the interesting background and insights from kiwijohn. Good to know about these unique steps that were used to create "shock absorbers" for such a large building. Another good reason to visit the National Museum, Te Papa!

Nice to read the "it should be all settled" comments/hopes by MicCanberra, but I think some "action" will always be happening there in NZ given the geo factors in that part of the world. Kind of like in California. Can't avoid those potentials. Interesting, cute phrase noted by mr walker for calling NZ as "Shaky Isles". Will share these items on our roll call.

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at over 8,969 views for this shorter version of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Yes, I know my hopes are optimistic. BTW, Te Papa is a must see, it is wonderful, give yourself plenty of time to see as much as you can.:D

BTW, Te Papa is a must see, it is wonderful, give yourself plenty of time to see as much as you can.:D

I agree - it's fantastic. However, last time we were there in Feb we discovered a small museum near the waterfront which takes you back to the early days of Wellington, and you can get to experience what it was like on a migrant ship in the very early days - (Museum of Wellington City & Sea) - which we found even more fascinating.

Now back on topic. Very interesting re the reclaimed land being virtually earthquake proof, Kiwijohn. Thank you for posting it.........and I hope for everyone's frayed nerves the earth decides to settle down a bit.

I agree - it's fantastic. However, last time we were there in Feb we discovered a small museum near the waterfront which takes you back to the early days of Wellington, and you can get to experience what it was like on a migrant ship in the very early days - (Museum of Wellington City & Sea) - which we found even more fascinating.

Yes, we checked that out when we were there.

Wellington's a very convenient city to get around and has some good museums well placed for cruise visitors.

Yes, we checked that out when we were there.

Wellington's a very convenient city to get around and has some good museums well placed for cruise visitors.

I agree, it is so easy to get the tram to the top of the Botanical gardens and get all the great views of the city before wandering all the way down through the gardens.:D

Archived