Advice on dress code please!

Hi there,

Just wondered how formal the "formal dining" really is! DH has to wear smart suits, shirts and ties everyday at work and as a busy family we really like to feel relaxed on holiday! Also, he's worried that his suit could get wrecked if we pack it in the suitcase. Definitely not planning on taking a DJ/Tux!

My 14 year old son hasn't got a suit, but he has some nice chinos and smart shirts, so hoping this will be ok.

Any tips gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

xx

You will be fine! When we were on The Oasis last September we wore dressy jeans and nice blouses/shirts on formal night. I was nervous dressed like that going to the MDR (and prepared to go to the Windjammer if they refused us), but they welcomed us warmly and told us "as long as you have long pants for men and pants/skirt/dress for women, you are fine. Just no shorts allowed."

People are wearing everything from tuxes to suits to dress pants to khakis to jeans.

We got one funny look walking in, but most people didn't give us a second glance. There are tons of threads on here about this- it's something that many people are very passionate about. We are going on The Allure this Sept and we will dress in nice jeans for formal night again.

Have a great time- and don't sweat the small stuff- you're on vacation!!! :)

Hi,

You don't have to attend formal night if you don't wish to, just go to the Windjammer buffet those nights.

But if you decide to go formal the variety ranges from tuxedos & cocktail/evening dresses to less dressier but still dressed up compared to casual. So a jacket for men with nice pants & a nice top with dress pants/skirt for ladies.

Your son would be OK with what you mentioned.

In general all the formal nights I have attended I would say the majority seemed fairly formal.

Sometimes you see people not dressed up but they do stand out & the crew enforce the dress code to a greater or lesser degree from cruise to cruise.

The general consensus on these forums by those that enjoy formal night is that they appreciate it if those who attend make an effort to dress up as this enhances the whole effect for all.

But others say they will do what they want & couldn't care less about what anyone else thinks.

I feel it's polite to try & comply with the theme or it's sort of like a fancy dress party when only half the people dress up, not as much fun for everyone. It's also nice to have some variety on board as the majority of nights are casual. Life's too short to dress the same every night! :)

If your hubby is used to wearing suits for work then it is not too much to expect him to put one on for formal night.

You can get away with jeans but it is not really in keeping with the spirit of the evening.

Why would a suit get wrecked in a suit case.........the clue is in the name!!!!!!

I wear suits for work too. I'm on holiday on a cruise ship though where these things are suggested. If I went to a regular hotel or resort I would not pack my black tie....on a cruise however I do!

It's up to you......enjoy whatever. Your choice........

Hi there,

Just wondered how formal the "formal dining" really is! DH has to wear smart suits, shirts and ties everyday at work and as a busy family we really like to feel relaxed on holiday! Also, he's worried that his suit could get wrecked if we pack it in the suitcase. Definitely not planning on taking a DJ/Tux!

My 14 year old son hasn't got a suit, but he has some nice chinos and smart shirts, so hoping this will be ok.

Any tips gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

xx

There are numerous threads on this - many people have very strong opinions - if you do a search you will be able to bring them up.

One thing I wanted to comment on - not a fan of jeans in the main dining room, especially on formal night, but that is my personal opinion. Dress pants would be lighter to pack and also much cooler if you are cruising in the Caribbean.

There are numerous threads on this - many people have very strong opinions - if you do a search you will be able to bring them up.

One thing I wanted to comment on - not a fan of jeans in the main dining room, especially on formal night, but that is my personal opinion. Dress pants would be lighter to pack and also much cooler if you are cruising in the Caribbean.

Amen, jeans do not belong in the MDR.

I started cruising with my family when I was 9 and it was not too much burden on my family to rent me a tux or fit me for a suit each year. My father used to wear suits to work and it wasn't a big deal to him to pack a couple of suits for the cruise.

In the last ten years, that I have been cruising as a married man, I always bring my two suits for formal nights and collared shirts and dockers for casual nights. DW brought two long dressed for formal nights on our last cruise, and shorter dresses for the casual nights.

We totally respect the ships policy on this and don't want to seem as if we are flouting the rules - totally not!

Everyone has different views on what is/isn't formal attire. We will always dress appropriately (suits etc) but if staff don't think we're formal enough on formal nights we will happily go to the WJ.

xx

Thanks so much for tips and advice. We are sailing on RC Serenade of the Seas.

It sounds like clothes we are planning to take will be fine, but I will pack one of DH's suits too!!

xx

People here will say you need a suit but you don't. I saw plenty of men in just slacks and a button down or collared shirt. No tie or jacket is necessary.

To OP : RCCL does not have a mandatory dress code rather just "Suggestive Guidelines " and states that on it's website . Here's the link http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

Your husband and son will be just fine.

My husband no longer takes his tux on RCCL cruises.

On Oasis formal nights he wore a navy sports coat, white golf shirt, and light gray dress pants.

( ;) He would have been fine not wearing the sports coat if he had wished.)

Have a great cruise! :)

LuLu

~~~~

When we sail from Southampton both DH and DS(16) take suits and DJs as they like dressing up and we have no luggage restrictions as we are in the UK.

However when we have to fly to board our cruises they both take jackets and chino type trousers with shirts and use those as they can be used mix and match throughout the vacation and so make better use of suitcase space.

Either time they have both been welcomed in to the dining room and their manner of dress has fitted in perfectly well.

We totally respect the ships policy on this and don't want to seem as if we are flouting the rules - totally not!

Everyone has different views on what is/isn't formal attire. We will always dress appropriately (suits etc) but if staff don't think we're formal enough on formal nights we will happily go to the WJ.

xx

You will be ok with what you were proposing. As beachchik says you don't have to dress formally. But some posters are totally biased to their own point of view.

From your description, and subsequent posts I think you would be best packing for all eventualities. You probably won't want to feel out of place if you find you enjoy the MDR and all your table mates are in formal wear......On formal nights.

You are also in Europe I believe, and europeans tend to dress more formally overall than our American cousins.....even casual to an Italian or Spanish family is usually very stylish.......

More than can be said for American casual, which in general, involves khakis, button downs, sneakers and ball caps (see I am learning American English) which in my opinion is a rather lazy way to dress for dinner in a formal dining room like the MDR.

Only one comment for this thread:

We pack suits, formal attire; anything that wrinkles--on hangers and each in its own plastic dry cleaner bag. Since starting this method, I no longer bring a steamer, because NOTHING packed this way is ever wrinkled (and I am not sure that steamers are even permitted these days).

So concern regarding a "wrinkled" suits should not be a deterrent in bringing one.

Teddie

Guest maddycat
You will be ok with what you were proposing. As beachchik says you don't have to dress formally. But some posters are totally biased to their own point of view.

From your description, and subsequent posts I think you would be best packing for all eventualities. You probably won't want to feel out of place if you find you enjoy the MDR and all your table mates are in formal wear......On formal nights.

You are also in Europe I believe, and europeans tend to dress more formally overall than our American cousins.....even casual to an Italian or Spanish family is usually very stylish.......

More than can be said for American casual, which in general, involves khakis, button downs, sneakers and ball caps (see I am learning American English) which in my opinion is a rather lazy way to dress for dinner in a formal dining room like the MDR.

I'm shaking my head. Who is biased?

On formal nights, my father and I usually do a tux, and my mother tends to wear a cocktail dress. That being said, I've seen plenty of people go in much more casually, not even a suit. A jacket is definitely fine, and I've seen some with just normal dress clothes or business casual.

RCCL is really lenient with the dress code policies. I've worn flip flops, shorts, and a t-shirt on casual nights, and have had no waiter/person come up to me. Try not to worry to much about the policy and just enjoy your cruise :)

Thanks again for helpful replies. Got a very good idea of what to pack now. We wouldn't wear jeans etc anyway!

We are flying to Barcelona to join our cruise, so great tip about dry cleaning plastic covers - thanks for that! I've read that steamers/travel irons aren't allowed but I've bought some clothes "anti wrinkle" spray and will just hang them up asap.

Thanks again everyone!

xx

Like. Formal night does not exist anymore.

Dressy "jeans"...are they the ones with rhinestones across the backside or on each back pocket? I guess dressy jeans work only if one wears their designer baseball cap to dinner also. Egads....

Thank you - I posted my question on the cruise fashion and beauty board. I'll spend some time tomorrow looking at some posts.

Do you think the dress is too casual for formal night?

There will be a good many people dressed more casually than the dress you posted.

Archived