Grand Princess dry dock Dec 2013

duck addict

The Grand is apparently scheduled for a 10 day +/- dry dock in Ensenada. Any ideas of what will done? Last dry dock was 2011.

All speculation on my part about changes that effect passengers, but I'm hoping they add coverings to the balcony floors. Another plus would be to convert the deck and pool shape around Neptune's Reef to match what was done on the Star, and to re-do the Horizon Ct. similar to the Star. Expect they are also thinking about adding revenue producing items for example, cabanas or maybe some surcharge dining in the Horizon Ct. like they have on the Royal.

It's always fun to follow these dry docks. We have been on the Grand 4 times starting in 2000 when the ship was less than 2 years old, for a total of 64 days.

The Grand is apparently scheduled for a 10 day +/- dry dock in Ensenada. Any ideas of what will done? Last dry dock was 2011.
She's dry docking in SF. Routine maintenance. All cruise ships dry dock every 2-3 years for routine maintenance which includes scraping and painting the hull, checking the engines, propellers and thrusters, cleaning the thrusters, updating electronics in the bridge, entertainment, etc. I'm guessing that the communications system will be updated.

Dry docks are usually not overhauls or reconstruction, and are not very "sexy." Kind of like taking your car in for an oil change and detailing.

I'm thinking that they can't do too much in ten days which will affect the passengers. Then again, they could find some revenue enhancing things. What this ship needs is an entire new plumbing system and elevator overhauling. That's not going to be done in ten days. Or even attempted.

All speculation on my part about changes that effect passengers, but I'm hoping they add coverings to the balcony floors. Another plus would be to convert the deck and pool shape around Neptune's Reef to match what was done on the Star, and to re-do the Horizon Ct. similar to the Star. Expect they are also thinking about adding revenue producing items for example, cabanas or maybe some surcharge dining in the Horizon Ct. like they have on the Royal.

My understanding from folks on board in early June is that the dry dock is scheduled for SF for at least 20 days (I haven't looked at sailing schedules so I don't know if 20 days will fit). The balcony mats will be put back in place. Horizon Court has already been remodeled so it is the same as Star Princess. I'm not sure where they would put cabanas as there's no room for them on deck.

Edited by bdjam

I am scheduled to sail on December 20 so can report that the dry dock is 10 days.

I actually think they could do quite a bit of maintenance in 10 days if they want to. Don't expect any major redesigns. Pam pointed out it is like and oil change and detailing, I like the idea of detailing. A nice clean ship.

I also figure that the crew will be a little more rested and they will not have the drama of a turn around day when we board. Hopefully it will make boarding very smooth.

Just my thoughts.

I also figure that the crew will be a little more rested and they will not have the drama of a turn around day when we board. Hopefully it will make boarding very smooth.

While the crew might not have the regular turn around day routine, they would have been working that 10 days on the ship - cleaning, etc. They can't catch a break.

This would not require a dry dock. This could be done anytime Princess wants. Only takes a couple of minutes to place a mat down.

You might be correct and while I can't confess to understanding the logistics of balcony mat replacement, I would imagine that they would need to be loaded onto the ship, possibly cut to fit the balconies (do they come pre-fab?), etc. I only know what I've heard.

Edited by bdjam

I was on the Grand in May for its first cruise to Alaska. I asked the steward about the drydock and it was mentioned about adding matts to the balconies. The rest is what Pam has mentioned.

Tom:)

It also gets a very deep cleaning and rust removal and painting. The crew works harder than on a cruise. They also have to feed the contractors and crew onboard, while cleaning. There will also be several reupholstery people onboard repairing furniture that needs redoing.

They also take a detailed inventory of everything on the ship.

Ummmm --- maybe not.

If the dry dock is in a decent place, crew will work all day, and then

be off the ship all night partying. They can almost never get off

the ship at night, so it is really used when they can.

Same with overnight in St. Petersburg. I had one waiter tell

me that he comes back to the ship in time for breakfast service.

And, it might not be that pleasant on the ship during dry dock,

when a/c might be off, and working toilets are somewhere off

the ship in the shipyard.

Ummmm --- maybe not.

If the dry dock is in a decent place, crew will work all day, and then

be off the ship all night partying. They can almost never get off

the ship at night, so it is really used when they can.

Same with overnight in St. Petersburg. I had one waiter tell

me that he comes back to the ship in time for breakfast service.

And, it might not be that pleasant on the ship during dry dock,

when a/c might be off, and working toilets are somewhere off

the ship in the shipyard.

Can't be too much worse than having non-functioning toilets when passengers are aboard. :rolleyes:

Can't be too much worse than having non-functioning toilets when passengers are aboard. :rolleyes:

I believe on the carnival triumph, as the situation progressed,

pax relieved themselves in plastic bags, and crew member carried

away the bags.

To me, that would be worse.

• 1 month later...

I'm only speculating but most adhesives are pretty smelly. I suspect that the deck carpets cannot be put down while guests are on the ship due to the strong odors. Perhaps that is why they have not been replaced while the ship is in port or at sea. The paints and varnishes are pretty offensive as it is.

I was on the Grand for a BVE on Tuesday and was told buy the FCC staff that the 10 dry dock will be dome in Canada. Thought it was funny that it was not being done in SF.

Well if the Dry dock is in Canada then it is really only a 6 day dry dock since it will take 2 days up and 2 days back. That will cut into the work time. However, I am sure the crew will be working up and back.

Not likely to happen, but it certainly would be nice if Princess could open up the centre stairwell above Deck 7 for full-time passenger use -- especially if they cannot solve the recurring elevator problems!

John

We just got off Grand and it seemed to have the most operating elevators of any of our Princess cruises. We had a wonderful cruise with no complaints.

Any mention about the upcoming dry dock and what they plan to do?

Be aware that on Embarkation day the elevators will be a challenge as some are out of use because of loading the luggage so be prepared for a wait. Also there is a set of middle elevators that are not for passengers use. You must insert a card into a slot at the elevator to use it