Just can't pull the trigger!

beachlover98

After many cruises with hubby or with one of my 4 kids, I have the opportunity to cruise solo! Having cruised enough, I felt comfortable with the idea so was excited to start researching ships, itineraries, etc. When the opportunity arose to possibly travel with my sister who lives out of state, I was thrilled! Unfortunately, we couldn't get the logistics to work, so that trip will have to wait for another time.

So now I am back to the prospect of going solo and for some reason now I'm nervous about going through with it. The trip I have planned (but not booked yet) is on a ship I've sailed before, sailing from San Juan. It would be my 9th cruise embarking in San Juan, so I'm completely comfortable with that part. In fact, I LOVE Old San Juan and always spend as much time there as possible pre and post cruise.

I was really looking forward to having some time (and space!) just for me. On the flip side, part of why I love cruising is meeting people from other parts of the U.S. as well as from around the world. I have no problem striking up conversations, but maybe am a little self-conscious about looking "alone" sometimes.

I'm sure there are many out there who had always cruised with family or friends and then tried solo. I know only I can decide if I think it's right for me, but was looking for others' experiences. Thanks!

I say go for it! You've worked hard as a wife and a mother so you deserve some solo time. The cruise you mentioned is clearly something you are familiar with, which is good.

I'm sure on your other cruises, you were doing a lot of catering to your family, so now go and let the staff cater to you! :)

I also say go for it. I have been cruising solo for 10 years and going again

in 2 weeks:D....It is the only way I cruise.....and to be totally honest,

most people are having too much fun and aren't thinking about or worrying

about if you or I are sailing on our own;)

Most cruisers are very friendly...but you know that already, since you said

you have cruised many times previously.:)

Now I cannot give you a "going with family" comparison because my

family is very small and although 1 sis and bil love to cruise, our schedules

never work together. But I can tell you first hand, I LOVE cruising solo...

this coming one will be #30 something for me....the only way I sail:)

Go and have a great time!:D

Thanks for the encouragement to go for it!

I did take the next step and talked to my TA this morning to look into cabins and pricing and such. Getting excited about it again!

My TA warned me about traveling off the ship alone. Obviously it's something to consider. She tried to talk me into doing only ship's excursions for safety reasons. I never book ship's excursions anymore. I find so many better activities booking things independently. They're not usually any cheaper, usually the opposite, but they are much more private and much better quality. I only book when I've done a lot of research and read a lot of reviews on CC and tripadvisor, etc. I'm hoping I'll be okay to continue doing excursions this way, even when traveling alone. The ship is never the destination for me, but the ports of call. :)

What ports are you going to? What do you like to do? As my mother got older, I became a semi-solo cruiser and then a solo cruiser and I have done both private excursions and ship's excursions and done things solo. It all depends on the port. Also, your roll call is a great way to hook up with other folks and make arrangements. That's what I do almost exclusively now.

Ports of call on my cruise are St. Croix, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados. As I've sailed from San Juan so many times, these ports are VERY familiar. For several of them, this will be my 7th or 8th visit.

As far as excursions go, I've done sailing, snorkeling, kayaking, mountain biking, hiking, ziplining, beach days, you name it. I have favorite activities on many islands, but I was actually hoping on this trip to maybe do some different things, just to change it up a little! In the past I have joined roll calls. Some trips I was more active on the roll calls than others. It depended on whom I was traveling with. I had good experiences on a few excursions with some friends met on roll calls so I definitely will consider that again.

I think the most important thing for me is, when booking an independent excursion, is to do thorough research before booking. I look at reviews, comments about their concern of passengers getting back to the ship on time, etc. I know this is not a 100% guarantee that the excursion will be perfect, but I've been on more than my share of ship's excursions that weren't so great. I have had MUCH better experiences on independent excursions.

Ports of call on my cruise are St. Croix, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados. As I've sailed from San Juan so many times, these ports are VERY familiar. For several of them, this will be my 7th or 8th visit.

As far as excursions go, I've done sailing, snorkeling, kayaking, mountain biking, hiking, ziplining, beach days, you name it. I have favorite activities on many islands, but I was actually hoping on this trip to maybe do some different things, just to change it up a little! In the past I have joined roll calls. Some trips I was more active on the roll calls than others. It depended on whom I was traveling with. I had good experiences on a few excursions with some friends met on roll calls so I definitely will consider that again.

I think the most important thing for me is, when booking an independent excursion, is to do thorough research before booking. I look at reviews, comments about their concern of passengers getting back to the ship on time, etc. I know this is not a 100% guarantee that the excursion will be perfect, but I've been on more than my share of ship's excursions that weren't so great. I have had MUCH better experiences on independent excursions.

This is the exact itinerary I'm doing in September and I'm traveling solo. I've planned my Barbados excursion with some roll call members and the resort I'm going to in Antigua, a couple in my roll call will be going there as well, so we're sharing a cab over. I'll be doing a couple of private excursions alone but that is after I did my research on CC and Trip Advisor.

You will be in your comfort zone, so you should definitely go for it!

As a solo male I was concerned about traveling alone at first, but I find that it is one of the best ways for me to get away from the rat race and have some me time. Also I have found that most people on cruises are so friendly and open to conversation and sharing time or not. It really is up to you. As for that feeling of being alone I would say that it strikes about 2 to 3% of the time I'm away. But the truth is you can be with a room full of people that you know and have the same feeling lol.

Someone suggested signing up for a meet and greet or roll call and I second that. In that way you can maybe find others (singles or couples) that you can do private tours with and establish friendships before the trip.

Cruising solo is the best! Congrats on pulling the trigger and not allowing your TA talk you out of it when they went down the excursion road with you. Be sure to come back here after your solo cruise and let us know what fun had!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

I just can't seem to pull the trigger either. I'll be in Florida the 1st week of November for a cousin's wedding in JAX, FL. The Fascination leaves that following Monday for a 5-day at a great price! I've cruised with my daughter in the past and she's not able to get the time off work to go. So close to booking...not sure why I'm hesitating?? I've also been on this ship before and could use the time away!!

I am going on my 3rd ever cruise, 2nd solo in September and am doing a very similar itinerary but not exactly the same. St. Kitts instead of St. Croix. I used CC for reviews of tour guides and went with the popular ones with good reviews from other members. I also used the roll call for tours. I do not feel comfortable just striking out on my own, so I am joining 2 couples from my roll call in St. Maarten to share a cab to go to Mullett Bay then walk to Maho to see the planes land.

What's nice about joining the roll call is you can "use" the others for excursions but then you still get your alone time whenever you want. I love doing exactly what I want when I want. And if I change my mind I'm usually pretty easy to convince. :D

Finally went through with it. Even went so far as to purchase air also, so I'm stuck now.

I decided to fly to San Juan just 1 day early, but am also staying 1 night post cruise. I would have liked to spend more time pre-cruise, but just have a hard time being away quite that long. I'm cruising on the Celebrity Summit in January with 2 of my kids and we're doing a 3 night pre-cruise stay in Old San Juan so I'll get more time then. I love OSJ so much. I think it's the food! :p

I'm busy looking for things to do at each port of call. I've inquired about a few so far and joined the roll call for this sailing so maybe something will work out there. I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do on each island so it'll all work out.

Looking forward to some "me" time!

Finally went through with it. Even went so far as to purchase air also, so I'm stuck now.

I decided to fly to San Juan just 1 day early, but am also staying 1 night post cruise. I would have liked to spend more time pre-cruise, but just have a hard time being away quite that long. I'm cruising on the Celebrity Summit in January with 2 of my kids and we're doing a 3 night pre-cruise stay in Old San Juan so I'll get more time then. I love OSJ so much. I think it's the food! :p

I'm busy looking for things to do at each port of call. I've inquired about a few so far and joined the roll call for this sailing so maybe something will work out there. I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do on each island so it'll all work out.

Looking forward to some "me" time!

You picked one of my favorite ships:D and I am sailing her this

weekend to Bermuda! This will be my 6th time sailing her so if you

have any questions I will be glad to try and help with answers.:)

You picked one of my favorite ships:D and I am sailing her this

weekend to Bermuda! This will be my 6th time sailing her so if you

have any questions I will be glad to try and help with answers.:)

My solo trip coming up in December is on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas. I prefer smaller ships as the ship is not the destination. I only chose this particular trip because the itinerary and dates were more what I was looking for.

My upcoming January trip (with my 21-year-old daughter and 14-year-old son) is on the Summit. I've sailed on the Millennium twice and the Summit just this past January with my husband. Love those ships! They're just not so big. Celebrity has also definitely become my preferred cruise line. I like the atmosphere (no constant announcements), their restrictive smoking policy and I really like their crew.

I'm sure you'll have a fabulous cruise to Bermuda!

I've never felt I "looked alone" on any of my solos. It was never an issue, on the ship or on excursions.

Have to say I have to agree with this. Unless another passenger stalks you or directly asks you say at dinner they will never know your traveling alone. People in groups travel off alone all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Archived