Which room would YOU pick?

alwaysfrantic

How many sea days will you have if you think you will enjoy the balcony more than the larger room layout of the SY. To me the Vista ship SY group of cabins are the ideal for size, comfort and layout. Plus think about which deck puts you closer to the activity decks you like to frequent.

Me Too. The cabin is larger. How much time do you really spend on a balcony?

I like knowing it is there, but truth be told we don't spend that much time out there. Sometimes when coming into port and for breakfast on sea days but before we got the free HAL laundry, we used it more to dry out our clothes than anything else.

However, after being in an ocean view room for our last long trip I really did miss the balcony --- just knowing it was there for fresh air any time I wanted it. It just feels "freer" to know we have an outdoor window on the world. Crazy?

I spent 22 days in 4166 with the double-wide balcony last year. It's very nice, but I am doing the same cruise next year, and have booked an SY. When all's said and done, you only use a certain amount of space on a balcony, and I would prefer a larger cabin instead - and with drawers!;)

I would say definitely an SY. There's no comparison. I've stayed in both. I think the SY balcony was a bit less deep and long than the VD, but there's plenty room.

If you spend time on your balcony the SY is better as you get all the suite balcony furniture, including a nice dining table and chairs.

A word of caution. I can't say about the other ships, but whilst on Nieuw Amsterdam in VD4168, we could not use the balcony at all for 8 days out of 12 due to foul smells coming from two vents located on our balcony. I'd never choose THAT cabin again. Just would not take the risk. HAL handled the issue very badly, both whilst onboard and afterwards.

TAKE AN SY if price is not the key deciding factor!:)

Thanks for the reinforcement. We actually do spend a lot of time both in the cabin and on the verandah. That is what had me wondering if I wanted the extended regular cabin balcony. I don't think price difference is significant; they have gone up in all categories since I booked the suite. I have a retreat cabana reserved so I was trying to decide if I wanted to save $ with the room but I guess I will keep everything as it is.

Thanks for all your observations. Much appreciated.

Thanks for the reinforcement. We actually do spend a lot of time both in the cabin and on the verandah. That is what had me wondering if I wanted the extended regular cabin balcony. I don't think price difference is significant; they have gone up in all categories since I booked the suite. I have a retreat cabana reserved so I was trying to decide if I wanted to save $ with the room but I guess I will keep everything as it is.

Thanks for all your observations. Much appreciated.

That was my next question. If you had a Cabana. You will not use ur balcony very much lol. Promise. Just before dinner and maybe early am. Tht is our experience anyhow.

Never been in a suite and only in VD cabins - the last time in 4166 on the Eurodam (the balconies are twice as wide as the cabin due to an internal service staircase between it and 4168).

Does that mean that 4168 also has the larger balcony as well?

Jennie

Does that mean that 4168 also has the larger balcony as well?

Jennie

Yes. There are two cabins next to each other with a service staircase between them. 4166 has a bath tub/shower combo whilst 4168 only has a shower. Otherwise the cabins are similar to othee VD cabins inside.

Just a note of warning. I'm not sure if this is the same situation as on Nieuw Amsterdam, but, on that ship we had terrible problems with really bad smells coming out of two vents located on the balcony wall.

We could not use the balcony for 8 days, after which they agreed to temporarily block the vents. Too little too late.

I've searched for pictures of 4166/4168 on Eurodam but none show what I'm looking for close enough. I'd suggest you do some digging if you're considering these cabins, just in case. It ruined our holiday. We use out balcony a great deal and would not want that to happen to others.

Just a note of warning. I'm not sure if this is the same situation as on Nieuw Amsterdam, but, on that ship we had terrible problems with really bad smells coming out of two vents located on the balcony wall.

We had no smell issue on the Eurodam. And I don't recall a vent on 4166's balcony.

Since the question is what would you do?? i'd do the SY - much bigger cabin (space is nice) especially since you have said little price differential - decent verandah and depending on how sales are going - a chance for an upsell to the Neptune Suites.

Seriously, you don't spend all the time on the balcony - so a balance is always good. :D

Archived