Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

I enjoy Sangria, as most wines are much too sour for my taste..When we have a party I always buy a bottle of Sangria..I too would love to have the recipes..You have my e-mail..Thanks in Advance..

You have mail:D I prefer the white myself - as do many in the summer. a) it's unusual and unexpected and b) it's delicious.

I agree that carry-on luggage can be easily checked for alcohol, but checking the other luggage is quite another problem. Checked baggage is not x-rayed. The porter places it in those wire baskets and the luggage is taken directly to the ship.

Were the RCI and Celebrity cruises out of Florida to the Caribbean? These cruises along with Mexico draw the most scrutiny. NCL out of LAX checks your carry-on and checked luggage.

You may be right about the old Holland America policy, but I don’t recall any cruise line having an “unlimited wine policy”. I would have to see the old policy in writting.

I will be really surprised to see strict enforcement out of HAL and PCL except maybe on Caribbean cruises. I was in Tamp in March for a HAL cruise and saw passengers headed to the CCL pier with cases of beer under their arms. I’m sure this was confiscated. I’ve never cruised on CCL, but I understand they have very strict enforcement.

Ron

All luggage is x-rayed as it is loaded on the ship.

Edited by sail7seas

Jacqui

Excellent post and you said it much better than I would have! While i don't like the change (and I think it's a stupid decision) I am most appalled by the fact that it is taking effect immediately. No advance notice, no grace period, nothing.

We are switching to Celebrity. We have been thinking of trying them for awhile and this is a good opportunity to vote with our feet (and our money)!!

Grrrrrrr...

ML

Well I have sent off my email directly to HAL and also voiced my opinion on HAL's FB page. I think it's very unfair to "spring" this policy on us and

not give a 4 - 6 mth "heads up" for us booked passengers. :mad:

Well of course checked bags are x-rayed if not passengers could potentially bring on guns, knives and hand grenades.

This is the dumbest thing I've read on here yet

Thanl you wakepatrol to help me put things in context here. My husband worked for marine security for years and these X rays are just part of the routine. BADABOOOMMMMM, just think if someone leaves a suitcase at the curb, the porter does not ask you to see your ticket. And then a big hole in the hull !!!!

If this makes you feel safer than just keep thinking that everything is inspected and x-rayed before being loaded on the ship.

At MOST ports the passenger luggage is loaded into wire baskets by the porter at curbside and the baskets are taken directly to the ship with fork-lifts. It is boarded on the ship and then taken directly to each cabin. It is NOT x-rayed!

What about the hundreds of containers of supplies that are loaded on the ship during turn-around. Do you think all of these are inspected and x-rayed?

I've never had a porter ask to see my ticket before loading my luggage in the wire basket. Any BADABOOOMMMMM is going to take place in your cabin because that is were the luggage is delivered. Also, ask you marine security husband about the thousands of cargo containers that are loaded onto ships every day without being x-rayed!

The shipping industry security is an complete joke compared to the security in place at most airports around the world.

For those that are interested, I posted this on a new thread, but felt it appropriate to add here also.....

Thanks for this--I just sent him a copy of the email I posted to Customer Services earlier today.

I don't know HAL are thinking but it seems stupid to me.

ML

Cruise lines do xray bags.

Cruise lines that have strict limits on how much wine can be brought aboard Xray luggage. If they see evidence of wine, other booze, etc then that luggage is tagged and sent to the 'naughty' room. Cruisers then have to open the luggage and the liquer is confiscated. This is a very, very common occurance on a number of cruise lines....soon it will be on HAL as well.

Edited by iancal

Then please tell us where these x-ray machines are located - at the pier or on the ship? And please tell us this applies to every port in the world!

On the ship! At every embarkation port! Search "Naughty Room" That's where you go when your luggage doesn't arrive at your cabin. You go down into the bowels of the ship (you are usually not alone lol) and you will have to open your luggage will they search for knives, travel irons, machete's and other banned items like "alcohol" That's how "Rum Runners" make their money http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/sneak-alcohol-on-cruise.aspx They are not seen by the x-ray scanners:D

oops ianCal beat me to it lol

Edited by Christine Frances

On the ship! At every embarkation port! Search "Naughty Room" That's where you go when your luggage doesn't arrive at your cabin. You go down into the bowels of the ship (you are usually not alone lol) and you will have to open your luggage will they search for knives, travel irons, machete's and other banned items like "alcohol" That's how "Rum Runners" make their money http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/sneak-alcohol-on-cruise.aspx They are not seen by the x-ray scanners:D

I seen this happen on NCL, but no other cruise line. I'm sure CCL has such a room, but I've never heard of anyone being called to a "Naughty Room" on PCL or HAL.

Going to be an awful lot of red mouthwash coming aboard.

Really. If you don't want to buy a few bottles aboard, should you really be cruising?

What an elitist attitude. Shocking. Buying a few bottles aboard and carrying a few (or several) bottles aboard are not mutually exclusive.

I can't speak for others, but if I feel I'm being gouged I won't purchase a bottle of wine even if I can easily afford it. My definition of "gouged" is arbitrary, fluid, and dependent upon the circumstances of the moment.

HAL could have easily implemented a different policy which would not have created the uproar and backlash seen in this thread. I'll be shocked if they do not encounter unintended consequences with the new policy and the arrogant way in which it was implemented. Fortunately, I do not have a cruise already booked as some others do.

Regarding any potential bookings with HAL, the policy itself will not weigh as heavily in my decision-making as will HAL's willingness to change the terms of the booking contract without recourse.

I believe both NCL and Princess apply a corkage when you bring on more than one bottle. This rule that HAL has set may be fine on a 7 day Caribbean cruise - but we have a 30 day cruise booked in Europe in some areas where the wine is very good and definitely ones we cannot get here. I don't want to spend my time in port drinking - I want to go exploring - and have a bit of vino from the port when i get back on board;)

That's precisely one of the things I was looking forward to on our upcoming cruise...trying the varieties of wonderful wine and cheeses in the ports...to bring back on the ship to enjoy.

I understand limiting it to a bottle per person but, truly, have they nixed people from bringing it on the ship in port?

I seen this happen on NCL, but no other cruise line. I'm sure CCL has such a room, but I've never heard of anyone being called to a "Naughty Room" on PCL or HAL.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38791211&postcount=9

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38389649&postcount=16

So these are the folks I can blame when my luggage arrives in a damaged state. :D I would doubt EVERY single piece is xrayed. And while we are at it let's just send a mass email to ALL the lines with the RR info. :banghead: Sorry could not resist as I am always amazed when posters wonder how cruise lines find out about the supposed secrets passengers have. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Cruise lines do xray bags.

Cruise lines that have strict limits on how much wine can be brought aboard Xray luggage. If they see evidence of wine, other booze, etc then that luggage is tagged and sent to the 'naughty' room. Cruisers then have to open the luggage and the liquer is confiscated. This is a very, very common occurance on a number of cruise lines....soon it will be on HAL as well.

Wine is their least concern they don't want passengers bringing on drugs, guns weapons etc. THAT IS WHY THEY X-RAY BAGS

Can't believe somebody actually doubts this:eek:

One lady at my dinner table got a iron confiscated that was found by X-ray on a Hal ship. I guess that must have been the only bag that's ever been xrayed. Please let us know how you've come to know bags are not xrayed.

How is their policy different? Sure hope you have better luck than I do because Celebrity is not even mediocre in my mind. Princess is a lot better.

I don't think the policy is different but I really like what I saw of their wine list posted. If HALs were half as good and reasonably priced, we wouldn't bring much wine onboard.

I was going to email you about your take on the different cruise lines next year. Maybe I'll do it sooner!! Stand by--i want to finish reading this thread!!

How is your knee today?

ML

Question to ponder . . .

Aside from Cruise Critic members, how many HAL cruisers actually knew the "OLD" wine policy? We see threads all the time that make it obvious cruisers do not read the HAL web site or the "know before you go" HAL info. If I had not discovered CC, and didn't happen to look up Alcohol Policy on HAL's web site - how would I know that I (in the past) could have brought as many bottles as I wanted on a cruise?

I'm still curious how Lisa was informed of the change and if all TA's received the same message ... and if they were asked to inform their clients.

Well this is disappointing for us. :( I don't think I have ever cruised bringing on more than 2 bottles (between DH and I) BUT we are heading to the Med for the first time on HAL in April and were really looking forward to trying and bringing wine back from the ports. :(

What an elitist attitude. Shocking. Buying a few bottles aboard and carrying a few (or several) bottles aboard are not mutually exclusive.

I can't speak for others, but if I feel I'm being gouged I won't purchase a bottle of wine even if I can easily afford it. My definition of "gouged" is arbitrary, fluid, and dependent upon the circumstances of the moment.

HAL could have easily implemented a different policy which would not have created the uproar and backlash seen in this thread. I'll be shocked if they do not encounter unintended consequences with the new policy and the arrogant way in which it was implemented. Fortunately, I do not have a cruise already booked as some others do.

Regarding any potential bookings with HAL, the policy itself will not weigh as heavily in my decision-making as will HAL's willingness to change the terms of the booking contract without recourse.

I don't think there was a good way to roll this out. I'm sure there would always be someone complaining. Lets just say that Hal let folks cancel even though they were past final. At that point folks would be complaining about air. I'm sure there will be adjustments to this policy and I'm sure there will still be more complaints.

One lady at my dinner table got a iron confiscated that was found by X-ray on a Hal ship. I guess that must have been the only bag that's ever been xrayed. Please let us know how you've come to know bags are not xrayed.

Was the iron found in her carry-on baggage or checked baggage? Or was it was reported by the room stewart?

Please let us know why you find it so hard to believe that bags are NOT x-rayed at every port on every cruise line.

Here is HAL's wine list as of 4/13. It is in two parts and previously posted by KK.

Sorry...... it isn't copying and pasting here are links to Part One and Part Two.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38129328&postcount=9

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38129352&postcount=10

Thank you for reposting the lists. I made screenshots of the choices to take with us. It was a pleasant surprise to see a couple that I liked for a fairly reasonable price.

I don't think the policy is different but I really like what I saw of their wine list posted. If HALs were half as good and reasonably priced, we wouldn't bring much wine onboard.

I was going to email you about your take on the different cruise lines next year. Maybe I'll do it sooner!! Stand by--i want to finish reading this thread!!

How is your knee today?

ML

I just don't want you to be disappointed. I know some sing the praises of Celebrity but for the life of me I just don't get it. Even if I got free wine Celebrity would not be my choice.

The knee is getting marginally better but it sure gets sore by the end of the day.