Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

Now if you're a journalist, that's a pretty bad thing to say.

It would be like saying a lawyer took a bribe. A doctor took a payment to look the other way.

I know you don't get it. But before you hit the keyboard, think.

Here's what Thebes said:

With all due respect but you sound like u have received several free cruises from HAL being a news anchor or a news professional. You're totally wrong on several fronts. Please don't take it the wrong way and forgive my direct style.

"With all due respect" "forgive my direct style" " please don't take this the wrong way" hmmmm.

Learn your lesson, prob not a great idea to tout what you do, if you do not want it discussed.

I think your responses look silly, over dramatic and over the top. But i must be the ONLY member of this board to think that.

Mariner, it looks bad. Just sayin, in case you didn't notice. Sometimes we get irritated and say things we do not mean, so i will pass off your threatening to sue, to you having a bad day.

I like to think the members of this board are better than that.

I want you to think about what people think when you say that kind of thing, and you are not new here.

Lets not get people thinking the wrong thing, k?

It would be like saying a lawyer took a bribe. A doctor took a payment to look the other way.

Oh i get it, i know all about lawyers....

But time to relax.

I have read a majority of the pages of this thread and the above post is absolutely unbelievable. There are plenty of threads with heated debates where individuals are insulted, I'm not sure why mariner feels above the rest.

Regarding the thread...I don't like the new policy but it is what it is. I do think that HAL should have waived the new policy for those who are beyond final payment. Are a few bottles of wine a reason to book a cruise? Probably not, but if all other lines were equal it may have been the tipping point. I don't drink sodas and think the ship's water is just fine, but enjoy bringing wine onboard. I frankly don't understand why wine is now prohibited and not sodas. JMO Cherie

"I'm not sure why mariner feels above the rest"

It is called mental illness. I diagnose those like individuals in my job all day long.

Edited by Thebes

How can you. You can't bring your wine aboard.

HAL takes my money, in good faith, changes the terms, ok,

Lets wait and see how much effort they put into my special order... They always have put a lot of effort in the past.

If they can fulfill my order, then all is well.

It still does not change the fact that people in good faith trusted that HAL was the right choice for them, and gave them $. Its about non communication, integrity, and honesty in sales.

Had HAL said : "This new wine policy will apply to cruises booked after Aug 1," then this would be a complete non issue.

This is the big problem.

The small problem is HALs lack of choices, and the horrible beverage package that comes nowhere near other premium lines.

Just like the apologies Carnival has given to TAs recently, after the group discussions they have been having about non communication etc, HAL will be forced to apologize to its travel partners. Watch, going to be a mess. Completely separate mess from the mess they will have to clean up with clients who book direct...

Just like the apologies Carnival has given to TAs recently, after the group discussions they have been having about non communication etc, HAL will be forced to apologize to its travel partners. Watch, going to be a mess. Completely separate mess from the mess they will have to clean up with clients who book direct...

Its funny, some agencies, told agents (hosted and in house) directly to not book CCL any longer, due to what they have done to agents, and push clients toward RCCL (RCI)...

Edited by surfergirle

There is such a big difference in the level of professionalism between a journalist and an MD. I'm not sure how you mix them up like that. Sigh!

Back off buddy and you better delete these teenagerish comments u made here. It only gives the forum a bad reputation.

At first I thought everyone was over reacting. I am a hardened diet Coke drinker. If I couldn't bring my coke on board I would not be a happy camper. Would it make me change cruise ships, no I don't think so. Then I rethought it. If I was on a cruise for 2 weeks or a month or longer, I don't think I would be happy at all and may change cruise lines. We all have our little enjoyments and when we are on a cruise they are important.

The new policy won't affect me on my next cruise to the Canadian Maritimes. I've already bought a bottle of alcohol that will be delivered to my cabin at the start of the cruise and paid a goodly price for it. BUT I can certainly see how their new policy may affect my enjoyment of an, as of yet, unscheduled trip through the Mediterranean, or to the wine producing areas of Chile, or Argentina, or Australia, where I might want to take a shore ex and buy a bottle of wine to bring back to the ship to enjoy. BUT then again under the new policy, I just might not want to take the shore ex at all.... Who wants to visit a winery if you can't bring something back?

Folks, the new policy is all about the bottom line. A corporate bean counter feels that the new policy will allow HAL to at least maintain, if not improve the bottom line. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Frankly, I've bought their wine card in the past. I paid good money and expected decent wine (not great) and good pours. IMO, the wine they served was bulk, cheap wine and the wine steward poured me consistently a little over a half glass in a small glass.

I understand the need to grow the bottom line, but I also understand the need to serve and PROTECT your customer base, otherwise the bottom line will suffer as loyal customers flee.

Regards

John

At first I thought everyone was over reacting. I am a hardened diet Coke drinker. If I couldn't bring my coke on board I would not be a happy camper. Would it make me change cruise ships, no I don't think so. Then I rethought it. If I was on a cruise for 2 weeks or a month or longer, I don't think I would be happy at all and may change cruise lines. We all have our little enjoyments and when we are on a cruise they are important.

If you could not bring it, you could order it, because it is easy to get.

The prob is alot of wines are hard to get. I am not sure how my special order will go.

Hi All:

I am a wee bit confused about a few things here. First of all if you look at the PDF document entitled "what you need to know" it shows a date on the last page in the lower right hand corner of 7/18/13 so I believe this new policy is a little older than yesterday.

Here is the link:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf

Also as I read what the document says, and mind you I am not an attorney, I believe it is worded quite strangely.

It states and I quote "Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in their carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage."

I am quite sure that HAL differentiates between carry-on and checked luggage. Nowhere does it say that you can not have wine in your checked baggage. It only states your carry-on luggage.

HAL has a battery of lawyers that write these policy's. I find it hard to believe that the wording does not state "each guest is allowed to bring on only one bottle of wine or champagne at embarkation only."

Is this the potential loophole?

Hi All:

I am a wee bit confused about a few things here. First of all if you look at the PDF document entitled "what you need to know" it shows a date on the last page in the lower right hand corner of 7/18/13 so I believe this new policy is a little older than yesterday.

Here is the link:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf

It states and I quote "Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in their carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage."

Is this the potential loophole?

They need to define "alcoholic beverages" better if they mean to only include the ones listed as prohibited below, or does the term also includes wine and champagne:

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors

and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the

right to remove all alcoholic beverages from guest luggage

that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found

will be removed and returned on the last evening of the

voyage.

Loop hole? No, it appears to be their full written policy, but does leave a good deal of vagueness about its specific definitions and applications. Does it restrict wine/champagne purchased in ports or just the listed prohibited items mentioned specifically purchased in port above when it uses the inclusive term "alcoholic beverages" purchased in ports

Carry-on vs checked luggage - different restrictions? Is wine/champagne treated differently from that they list as prohibited alcoholic beverages purchased in ports?

They do need to make this policy clearer.

Edited by OlsSalt

Loop hole? No, it sounds like it is the whole policy. Nor does it say anything about restricting wine purchased in ports if this policy only applies to "the beginning of the voyage". I guess they got tired of all the case deliveries the day of boarding?

That could be and I am sure it is. But I am thinking that pax will be allowed the wine in their checked baggage without anything being said. I know if I were one that brought wine onboard I would be quoting what the policy said if they in fact called me out. The wording could be construed as quite confusing. I refuse to believe that HAL's legal eagles would allow any confusion with this.

Edited by Laminator

They need to define "alcoholic beverages" better if they mean to only include the ones listed as prohibited below, or does the term also includes wine and champagne:

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors

and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the

right to remove all alcoholic beverages from guest luggage

that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found

will be removed and returned on the last evening of the

voyage.

Loop hole? No, it appears to be their full written policy, but does leave a good deal of vagueness about its specific definitions and applications. Does it restrict wine/champagne purchased in ports or just the listed prohibited items mentioned specifically purchased in port above when it uses the inclusive term "alcoholic beverages" purchased in ports

Carry-on vs checked luggage - different restrictions? Is wine/champagne treated differently from that they list as prohibited alcoholic beverages (beer, boxed wine, other liquors and spirits) purchased in ports?

They do need to make this policy clearer.

Back to whether they mean just the prohibited list of "alcoholic beverages" or ALL alcoholic beverages, including wine and champagne?

POLCY: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls or

from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last

evening of the voyage

Edited by OlsSalt

Back to whether they mean just the prohibited list of "alcoholic beverages" or ALL alcoholic beverages, including wine and champagne?

POLCY: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls or

from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last

evening of the voyage

I am not talking about ports. Obviously there could only be a "carry-on" such as a backpack in a port. All I am trying to do is possibly help a few people here by providing them a legitimate discussion point with HAL if they have trouble at embarkation. It is possible that nothing will be said to anyone with wine in their checked luggage. I have no idea. We'll have to wait and see what the pax have to say over the next few weeks.

My only thought is that the attorney's could have easily worded this policy so there would be absolutely no confusion. Confusion in this instance may wind up being a benefit to the pax.

Edited by Laminator

I hope that everyone who is disturbed and angry about this arbitrary, blindsiding rollout of a controversial new policy has already, or soon will, e-mail HAL under Contact Us on their site. Talk to your Travel Agents too and let them know that this is unacceptable and to pass that word along to HAL. They have taken we loyal "regulars" and even newer cruisers for granted just too long, and it's time to tell them this is over the line. It is reprehensible to change a contract midstream for those who have already booked and paid and there must be a law somewhere prohibiting this.

We won't be bothering with any HAL excursions that go to wineries now, what's the point finding a lovely bottle on our cruise and not being able to enjoy it in our cabin. They could have put a restriction of say two bottles per person per port and I would have understood that. Infact this whole 26 aug Noordam cruise is starting to feel less pleasurable as the days go by, I keep wondering what "enhancements" they can come up in a month!

WOW!

Just like War & Peace, not that I have read it mind you!

Mariner get a life and Thebes you can cruise with me anytime you like!

I would say more about Mariner but he may reach across the pond and sue me !

Is it true that we bundle these professions in the same category ? Politicians Journalists Car Salesmen & Real Estate Sales Persons !!!

Before you sue Mariner it's here in Australia that we say that so may not necessarily be applicable to your neck of the woods.

Now on to what is supposed to be the subject / topic.

I have travelled on HAL ships a total of 67 days with another 26 next April.

I have on two Trans Atlantic cruises taken wines on board as I enjoy wines that what I have seen on HAL are not to my tastes or I believe are far too expensive or in fact way over priced.

I have enjoyed purchasing wines at Total Wines n More with their vast selections of wines from all over the world.

I have always been more than happy to pay the corkage fee onboard as I get to enjoy the wine I like.

I saw the post of the wine list etc from the other line ( sorry after Mariners posts have forgotten who!) now if HAL had that wine selection I would be more than happy to just bring two bottles of Krug Clos de Mesnil on board:)

To put things in perspective my beautiful wife does not drink and a bottle last me 3 days !!!!! Unless I am with friends that drink :eek::eek::eek:

We have already paid 90% of our cruise for next April ( not an insignificant amount at 16 K US ) so for me HAL entered into a contract once they took our money but that contract is in my mind null & void as they have changed the contract to suit their benefit !

Will I jump ship so to speak ? Possibly and DW is looking at alternatives as we speak.

I believe that HAL will have to re look at this but then again looking is looking and not doing.

Will I cruise with HAL again? As an almost 4 Star Mariner ( hell there's that word again ! ) I think it is time to broaden our horizons.

My idea would be that OK a bottle each of wine on embarkation and perhaps each port a bottle per cabin only, at least that would give everyone a fair go.

I better stop as I can feel strange marinations :rolleyes:

What a wonderful things cruise critics is :)

Ciao a tutti e Buona giornata !

Cristiano

Of course, this HAD to be the hot topic of the century:eek:

We have two cruises booked with non-refundable hefty deposits via travel agents.

Although I'm not surprised at the change, I think HAL are being very short sighted. It is ( or WAS!) one of the differences that stood them apart from the other lines for us.

Of course, the change is only for monitory gain, again quite short sighted. I do feel a small subsection of passengers that enjoyed this "freedom", will vote with their feet and simply go elsewhere.

This change makes a big difference to our cruise experience. We spend a good proportion of each evening on our balcony, usually a suite, where upon most evenings we enjoy dinner and our OWN choice of wine in our own relaxed surroundings. That's what we enjoy. This change rips our enjoyment apart.

Bottles of wine, let's face it, are way too pricey onboard, plus more importantly, who wants to walk to a bar in the evening dressed very casually on a formal night especially, when you're trying to chill out on your balcony to order 2 glasses of wine to then have to carry back. What are the staff going to say? You're not dresses appropriately to buy a glass of wine? hmmmm???

So what do I "have" to do now? Get changed from casual wear to go to buy a drink? I think not.

The upshot of this, is that if HAL don't notify me personally, I don't know about the change, and will as normal, place my chosen amount/type of wine in the luggage. I have had no call from my travel agent and no e-mail/contact from HAL, therefore who's to know about the change. I think guests should carry on as normal. They'll soon see the issue they are causing. If they try/wish to confiscate it, they will have a very polite but interesting and blunt "conversation" on their hands.:mad::mad::mad:

Edited by richarduk

For those that are interested, I posted this on a new thread, but felt it appropriate to add here also.....

This is the e-mail address of Stein Kruse, President of HAL. E-mails to this address will go directly to the Office of The President in Seattle.

Officeofthepresident@HollandAmerica.com

I urge all that are unhappy to use this e-mail address. Maybe then they will get the message.

I think it's about time people stood up to large organisations that "think" they can change things without any notice or real thought for their customers.

Happy e-mailing:mad::D

I am not surprised about this new rule, more lines do this. Only it is crazy they did it on such short notice. It would have been better if it would start in a few months.

Too many people brought on their (sometimes many bottles) wine. Like any restaurant of course HAL wants to make a profit on their wines too.

It's the notice period I have secondary issue with.

People that have booked and had little option of cancelling if they wish etc.

Of course if they gave notice it would create bad PR. That's why they do it with immediate effect. They would have known about this for some considerable time, meanwhile they are happy to takes people's cash, on the basis that the customers who are familiar with the longstanding policy are not aware of the change.

I have checked-in online for a cruise in a few weeks time. No mention. I've printed my luggage tags. No mention. If you google news on HAL there's also nothing about it online to date. No press release? Of course not. Sneak it in.

Edited by richarduk