Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

Im laughing at you Mariner. Seriously. On a message board? Relax.

Journalist? On a message board, you are just like everyone else. A member.

A glass of wine can definitely help you Mr. Mariner. I only apologized because I'm human and I felt that your feelings are hurt. . I'm definitely not afraid of you sir. Okay. Now it time to close that subject and do what Surfergirle wants you to do: to RELAX !

My bottle of sangria is large, it is called Big Kahuna, and has a great many fresh black cherries and strawberries, oranges and kiwis. I would happily share :)

BUT Quint Sangria is the absolute BEST on the market. HAL has no sangria at all. :(

Edited by surfergirle

Patently wrong. You can bring wine home with you on a cross-county flight. I have done it successfully many times, not only cross-country but trans-Pacific. And as I mentioned in a previous post, it is not only possible, but encouraged for you to make notes of what you liked in the tasting rooms at vineyards, either by photographing the bottle or making notes in a notebook. The vineyards want you to be able to remember what you like. so you can then find the wines in their local cellars, or ask to have them carried by local importers.

The change in policy says nothing about buying wine to bring home with you, and certainly does not preclude vineyard tours or tasting room visits.

There IS a difference. If I found something I liked on a shorex I would want to bring it on board to enjoy with dinner or in my cabin. HAL has now outlawed that. If they chose to put a corkage/boarding fee per bottle, one COULD enjoy it on their cruise. And I haven't been to a winery where they didn't want you to walk out with a few bottles.

Just finished reading the entire thread - boy, was that fun! Everything from people bragging about how much money they make/spend to people threatening a poster with a lawsuit.

This was almost as good as some of the "smoking threads" that have appeared here over the years. I really do appreciate the late night laugh. Thanks.:D

Just finished reading the entire thread - boy, was that fun! Everything from people bragging about how much money they make/spend to people threatening a poster with a lawsuit.

This was almost as good as some of the "smoking threads" that have appeared here over the years. I really do appreciate the late night laugh. Thanks.:D

Posts like that give HAL cruisers, this message board, and cruise critic in general a very bad vibe.

Edited by surfergirle

Thebes, don't go posting what you think like that. There are consequences. A chatroom doesn't make you immune from lawsuits that you would have to defend.

I understand that. I'm a professional just like you. Your odds of winning a libel suit is next to none. Okay. I understand how serious it is in cyber world . And if I can say it to u here, I definitely can say it to your face. Not hiding behind a text.

Edited by Thebes

My bottle of sangria is large, it is called Big Kahuna, and has a great many fresh black cherries and strawberries, oranges and kiwis. I would happily share :)

BUT Quint Sangria is the absolute BEST on the market. HAL has no sangria at all. :(

I'm fairly sure if you asked the bartender he could mix a glass of sangria. After all, it is a wine drink, not a wine as such. Most places I go have sangria listed with the mixed drinks, not with the wine.

I'm fairly sure if you asked the bartender he could mix a glass of sangria. After all, it is a wine drink, not a wine as such. Most places I go have sangria listed with the mixed drinks, not with the wine.

The kind of Sangria a bar makes is wine, vodka and fruit.

Wine sangria, does not have hard liquor in it it is a wine and fruit juice mixture, with lots of sugar, placed over ice w added fruit.

The one with vodka is not real sangria.

Edited by surfergirle

Sorry jimmy! I was not referring to you, i was referring to what you were referring to. Be careful! We might get sued! SsshhhhhHH!

The lawsuit stuff is just too funny. The Internet is serious business indeed!

Libel is written. Slander is spoken. Thebes made a snarky comment about my ethics as a journalist. It was way out of line. And had he not apologized, I would have pursued it.

I have read a majority of the pages of this thread and the above post is absolutely unbelievable. There are plenty of threads with heated debates where individuals are insulted, I'm not sure why mariner feels above the rest.

Regarding the thread...I don't like the new policy but it is what it is. I do think that HAL should have waived the new policy for those who are beyond final payment. Are a few bottles of wine a reason to book a cruise? Probably not, but if all other lines were equal it may have been the tipping point. I don't drink sodas and think the ship's water is just fine, but enjoy bringing wine onboard. I frankly don't understand why wine is now prohibited and not sodas. JMO Cherie

This is a disappointment. When we did our Med cruise, we bought local wine at most ports, some to have on our balcony and some to bring to the MDR and pay corkage. We had also purchased a wine package for sea days and some ports where we didn't bring wine aboard, and agree the choices are limited, especially when comparing to the list posted for Celebrity. It is not an option for us to purchase these great wines in Europe to bring home. When we return to Canada, we have limits that we can bring across the border, and although we can bring 2 bottles each, we would have missed out on many wonderful wines.

I agree we did the very same thing on our last 37 day cruise to the Med. We also had a $250.00 beverage card. It is very frustrating to buy a $45.00 bottle of Columbia Crest Merlot in the PG that is worth 9.99 at ABC liquor in Florida.......... We preferred to pay a corkage fee and have superior wines for special occasions. I'm dissapointed in this change in policy.

What bothers me is you can still bring water and standard sodas onboard. You can get those onboard! We bring what you can not get onboard like craft root beer and diet mtn dew, blood orange italian soda, etc

This is the essence of the argument -- why go on vacation at all if you can everything you want when you want it at home? The cruise ship is not your home, nor is it supposed to be. For most of the complainers, it would probably be better to just stay home, where they can be assured everything is just as they want/like it.

Here's what Thebes said:

With all due respect but you sound like u have received several free cruises from HAL being a news anchor or a news professional. You're totally wrong on several fronts. Please don't take it the wrong way and forgive my direct style.

This is the essence of the argument -- why go on vacation at all if you can everything you want when you want it at home? The cruise ship is not your home, nor is it supposed to be. For most of the complainers, it would probably be better to just stay home, where they can be assured everything is just as they want/like it.

You are missing the point.

HAL changed this, to go into effect now, after clients gave them money, in good faith, based upon what they knew the policy to be. For those who do not have a cruise booked, not such a big deal...

Furthermore, HAL can compete with the offerings of other lines, or see the money walk.

When i am spending this kind of money, if i can not have what i prefer, i will go elsewhere.

Edited by surfergirle