Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

Clearly Canada allows you to bring wine to a restaurant. The US, at least in the states where I eat and drink, do not. I guess it's the least they can do since you can't bring anything back into the country.

I beg to differ. We have taken wine to restaurants in Florida, New York and New Jersey. A corkage fee was charged. They were always wines that were not available on the restaurant's wine list, usually very good wines from our cellar. We would always call in advance and always bought wine from their wine list. Paying a corkage fee is never a problem and we have done so on HAL shipsw.

mariner...wrong again.

The decision as to what amount of wine can be brought into Canada without the payment of duty is a federal excise decision.

The Provinces are responsible for their own liquer rules. Hence the reason why one province like Ontario is in the dark ages and others such as Quebec and ALberta are a tad more progressive.

I don't think you can compare a smoking and wine policy. Really, there is another choice for wine drinkers. Hal is not saying you can't drink wine.

The key word here is "policy". If one policy is changed giving several months advance notice, then all policy changes should be subject to the same advance notice. The smoking policy was even extended for those on the World Cruise and Grand Voyages. As they say, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.:D

This policy change is not surprising ... HAL is a for-profit business always on the lookout for ways to increase the revenue stream, reduce the red ink, increase the bottom line black ink.

What is shocking is the manner in which HAL is handling this change ... an announcement followed by instant inplementation, no lead-in time, no effective date some month or two down the road, no mass email to booked passengers. The change is now!

This is a half-baked policy change ... and HAL ought to revisit it with an eye to tweaking it (allow additional bottles at ports and embarkation but assess a corkage fee for any bottles more than one, a la Princess) and with an informational message to booked passengers (the policy could be printed off on boarding passes, again a la Princess). As to tweaking ... anyone remember when the Mariner Society dumped the medallions? Outcry and angst to Seattle brought them back.

I think HAL released this change without thinking it through beginning to end.

If there is an upside to this change, it is that HAL will need to hire more people to handle the embarkation screening process. Jobs, people!

Edited by pms4104

I really could care less what Canada allows you to bring to a restaurant or not. I do find your duty allowances archaic. And really question how great a policy is that for the restaurant's business model.

As far as what you can bring to a restaurant, I can tell you in NY or NJ, most restaurants with liquor licenses are not permitted to allow people to bring their own. We do have BYOB establishments.

What a weird name for a wine?

Weird or not, it works. We bought that bottle strictly for its name. When we noticed it in the store, it caught our attention as appropriate for the lady to whom we were bringing it. She had just lost a lot of weight and we were happy for her. :)

I imagine there are other people who did the same thing as us. :)

I really could care less what Canada allows you to bring to a restaurant or not. I do find your duty allowances archaic. And really question how great a policy is that for the restaurant's business model.

As far as what you can bring to a restaurant, I can tell you in NY or NJ, most restaurants with liquor licenses are not permitted to allow people to bring their own. We do have BYOB establishments.

We have been to BYOB establishments in New Jersey. Lived there for 35 years. Our favorite restaurant was BYOB. They save a huge amount of money by not having a liquor license. However, those with a license can and do allow you to bring in wine for a corkage fee. Maybe not all restaurants, but I don't believe the ABC laws forbid it. I could be wrong. Perhaps someone will google it.:rolleyes:

The key word here is "policy". If one policy is changed giving several months advance notice, then all policy changes should be subject to the same advance notice. The smoking policy was even extended for those on the World Cruise and Grand Voyages. As they say, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.:D

Really, I don't think it's the same and do they have to give months notice for everything? I do drink wine but I'll manage to live thru this change in policy. It really is a non issue to me. If I was so bent out of shape I'd be walking. I'm sure there are lots of people that are still before final. I'd be walking if I felt that strongly about it.

Edited by lorekauf

I'm not happy with it. HAL's previous wine policy was one of the differences that went into the plus column when shopping for cruises. Going to a policy like most cruise lines takes that out of the plus column. Couple that with HAL's over-priced, weak wine list, and it moves to the minus column.

Everyone will have their own personal perception. This is just mine.

I agree.

DH and I would plan on bringing aboard enough for a glass each every evening while getting ready for dinner and an extra glass each on sea day afternoons. (about 4 bottles for a 7 day cruise)

The wines on the HAL wine list sell for $7- $10 a bottle at the grocery store. Not quite worth the $30+ (that's more than $7 a glass at a bar) they charge aboard for the same stuff .....:confused:

Also, please note, we DO buy a wine package for the MDR, have the occasional "drink of the day" by the pool, and do have a Crown on the rocks or 2 as a nightcap ... so the issue isn't us trying to be cheapscapes. :)

That is not even the entire list. They have Reserve, half bottles, non-alcoholic, and a different list at the specialty restaurants, plus other drink lists such as martini's and cocktails, specialty teas, coffees, and waters.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/tabLanding.do?pagename=footer_pages_about_celebrity&cS=Footer&ICID=Cel_11Q4_web_hp_ftr_about#footer_pages_about_celebrity_press_room_tab/aboutceleb/pressRoomDetails.do%3Fevent_date=2013-07-25&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A&pageNumber=

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have to admit that I'm confused by the tone of some posters here...there seems to be a gleeful sort of hostility from some towards those who are disappointed by this new policy.

I guess I think of it like this-A cruise is a product, just like any other, that we choose to buy because it has certain features. Sure, it's a free market, and the vendor can do what they want, but as the consumer I get to be angry if the change doesn't work for me. I see this sense on a lot of the Disney boards I frequent-the sense that Disney can do no wrong, and we need to shut up and quit bitching if we don't like the changes. I picked this cruise for a bunch of reasons: choice of ports, review of ship, cost, and amenities that included the ability to bring wine onboard. The deal is different now, and yeah, I think I have a right to be unhappy about that.

And what's with the implication that folks that are unhappy about this change are living in debt, dependent on credit cards? I think people become debt free and live within their means by being thoughtful about how they spend the money, and looking for good value: bad wine for eight bucks a glass is not good value.

Clearly Canada allows you to bring wine to a restaurant. The US, at least in the states where I eat and drink, do not. I guess it's the least they can do since you can't bring anything back into the country.

Actually we can bring a bit more back to Canada than you can to the US

http://www.dutyfreecanada.com/customs-allowances/

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just curious- how does this policy effect those who like to have wine in heir cabin?

Are HALs bottles available to take back there?

Yes, you can have a bottle delivered to your cabin and you can bring any wine left in your bottle taken back to your cabin.

Call Room Service or speak with your wine steward and you can have any wine you wish delivered for cabin consumption.

I have to admit that I'm confused by the tone of some posters here...there seems to be a gleeful sort of hostility from some towards those who are disappointed by this new policy.

I guess I think of it like this-A cruise is a product, just like any other, that we choose to buy because it has certain features. Sure, it's a free market, and the vendor can do what they want, but as the consumer I get to be angry if the change doesn't work for me. I see this sense on a lot of the Disney boards I frequent-the sense that Disney can do no wrong, and we need to shut up and quit bitching if we don't like the changes. I picked this cruise for a bunch of reasons: choice of ports, review of ship, cost, and amenities that included the ability to bring wine onboard. The deal is different now, and yeah, I think I have a right to be unhappy about that.

And what's with the implication that folks that are unhappy about this change are living in debt, dependent on credit cards? I think people become debt free and live within their means by being thoughtful about how they spend the money, and looking for good value: bad wine for eight bucks a glass is not good value.

Very well said. Applause.

The issue is what started as a very nice policy turned into a way for people not to spend any money on board. That effects everyone in terms of standards and prices.

HAL finally said enough. And that's not a bad thing in the long run.

What a surprise and I can see from the lengthy comments, to many others. I reference CruiseMissives comment below because it says exactly what I would write. Fortunately we are also four star mariners and can benefit from the well mentioned Mariner Discount Wine Program which we do nightly. Unfortunately, we are sailing in about three weeks within Europe, so little time to compalin. Interestingly, one of our ports of call includes an overnight in Bordeaux. As of the information today we have just cancelled our two vineyard excursions there. On our South America circumnavigation we so much enjoyed the Peruvian, Chilean and Argentine vineyard tours, tastings and purchased the products for quiet times back in our cabin.

What HAL’s arbitrary policy change has done is to punish those of us who are to sail shortly, thereby gaining a breach of trust and forcing many, including us, despite our lengthy loyalty to HAL, to begin to look elsewhere in the future.

As we are another couple that have already booked the October 5 repo Montreal to FL, and have already made the final payment, I am disturbed by this arbitrary and ridiculous move on the part of HAL. We are four-star and one of the benefits of going with this cruise line was their generous, realistic and civilized wine policy. Never bringing on a case(s), our pleasure was in seeking out different wines in different ports for an enjoyable sip on our balcony before dinner or bed. Of course we always enjoyed daily cocktails in the lounges and the occasional beer with lunch so our modest few bottles of wine really won't affect their bottom line. But I refuse to pay their outlandish prices for their very mediocre, dull wine and will be totally re-thinking any more 30+ day cruises. This increasingly penny pinching attitude of theirs is really going too far and after twenty plus years of cruising with HAL, perhaps it's time to look at other options for our vacation dollars.

What a surprise and I can see from the lengthy comments, to many others. I reference CruiseMissives comment below because it says exactly what I would write. Fortunately we are also four star mariners and can benefit from the well mentioned Mariner Discount Wine Program which we do nightly. Unfortunately, we are sailing in about three weeks within Europe, so little time to compalin. Interestingly, one of our ports of call includes an overnight in Bordeaux. As of the information today we have just cancelled our two vineyard excursions there. On our South America circumnavigation we so much enjoyed the Peruvian, Chilean and Argentine vineyard tours, tastings and purchased the products for quiet times back in our cabin.

What HAL’s arbitrary policy change has done is to punish those of us who are to sail shortly, thereby gaining a breach of trust and forcing many, including us, despite our lengthy loyalty to HAL, to begin to look elsewhere in the future.

We are the consumers and we hold the upper hand. They can enjoy their "Chinese government " treatment to their new guests as well as their mariners. I have 20+ years at least hopefully to spend on future cruises and I have a CHOICE. Goodnight CC.

mariner...wrong again.

The decision as to what amount of wine can be brought into Canada without the payment of duty is a federal excise decision.

The Provinces are responsible for their own liquer rules. Hence the reason why one province like Ontario is in the dark ages and others such as Quebec and ALberta are a tad more progressive.

We can bring our own wine to restaurants in Ontario too! We're not that backward here :D

The issue is what started as a very nice policy turned into a way for people not to spend any money on board. That effects everyone in terms of standards and prices.

HAL finally said enough. And that's not a bad thing in the long run.

Yes, it always works so well when the person or group in charge decides to punish the many for the sins of the few. It didn't work in middle school and I doubt it's going to work now.

I'm curious -- do you think that HAL will now turn around and bring back some of the other things they've had to do away with in the misguided effort to keep fares unreasonably low while trimming costs that noticeably impact the cruiser's experience?

I, for one, sincerely doubt it. I've said just recently on another thread that HAL loyal cruisers have seen many things get trimmed back, removed, changed etc in recent years. At some point a line will be crossed and even loyalists will look elsewhere. How much further down the rabbit hole are lines going to go before they start raising their basic fares? Are we going to end up with more scandals like Silverseas' poor food handling and replacing of premium alcohol with house brands?

I've never in my cruising life brought on more than a bottle or two of wine; often I've brought none. But I resent lines taking away the possibility of my bringing on a bottle I've found ashore and enjoying it, and I resent being treated like a child.

If HAL's business model truly cannot succeed without my paltry contributions to their onboard alcohol sales, then perhaps their business model is flawed and should be reexamined.

Edited by cruisemom42

I really could care less what Canadians can and can't do in their restaurants. If I travel to Canada, Im not hauling a case of wine with me. Get over your provinces. Bring your wine here and walk into my restaurants. They'll tell you no or charge you a $50 corkage fee.