Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

wow. I leave for a few hours and come back to find this thread about the new wine policy for HAL.

1. I think it really bad policy to put this practice into effect for those who are past final payment and expected to bring on wine and to purchase some in different ports for their enjoyment while on board. Who would want to go to Europe, buy wine in different ports, and have to pay to have it flown home?

2. I do not drink anything but champagne and have never bought that on board, but DH has a few favorite wines he likes to enjoy in the cabin and for dinner. We usually bring on about 4 bottles for a 14 day cruise. I have never understood the people who bring on several cases of wine, but that's my feeling and am not being judgmental. I'm not happy about this policy and will add my email to the list of others who have already told HAL how they feel. This is a very poor decision, made without much foresight, and in the end will wind up costing HAL some loyal customers and surely the younger cruisers who have very high end taste in wine.

The issue is what started as a very nice policy turned into a way for people not to spend any money on board. That effects everyone in terms of standards and prices.

HAL finally said enough. And that's not a bad thing in the long run.

That's definitely a totally erroneous assumption. As is evidenced by my onboard bill, in spite of being able - previously - to bring wine onboard, especially in ports. There is going to be a huge backlash, their lack of PR is backfiring on them.

The issue is what started as a very nice policy turned into a way for people not to spend any money on board. That effects everyone in terms of standards and prices.

That is likely the problem. I've seen posters say its ok to fill a to go cup and carry it around the pool or into bars or the MDR. Its people that do things like that that ruin for others and then complain about it.

I sent the following to HAL and I think it pretty well expresses the sentiments on this thread. OK, no cases, but c'mon, guys, give us a break on ports:

I learned today that HAL's alcohol policy has abruptly changed without notice. No longer will we be able to bring on board our usual 4 bottles of wine, but more egregious, we will not be able to buy local wines in port and consume them on board. Why take a winery excursion if you can't bring a bottle back to consume? No one wants to (or is able to, either legally or physically) bring wine home on a cross-country flight.

Every cruise we buy from 7-9 bottles of wine from HAL and have never begrudged it, despite the steep mark-up. Others complain about the poor quality of the wine selections and steep mark-ups, but we are simple folk, and our preferred wine costs less than any of the wine packages, even with the 4-star discount.

Frankly, I feel that a large part of the discontent could be assuaged if passengers were allowed to bring a bottle each on board at ports. Surely that seems like a reasonable compromise.

Our next cruise has gone through final payment. Despite the fact that it was booked and paid for before the new alcohol policy was put in place, does the new policy apply? Or will passengers be astounded at the dock to have their wine absconded with? It seems like bait and switch to me.

And their response will be:

Thank you for your comments about our alcohol policy. Having studied the issue, we can understand your response.

Having examined the industry, we felt this was best for our passengers.

Holland America offers an extensive wine list and we hope you'll find a selection worth trying.

Thank you for your comment.

We are the consumers and we hold the upper hand. They can enjoy their "Chinese government " treatment to their new guests as well as their mariners. I have 20+ years at least hopefully to spend on future cruises and I have a CHOICE. Goodnight CC.

Wow! :eek:

Haven't you read on here? All those that slap luggage tags on cases of wine also have $1000 bar tabs:rolleyes:

What a surprise and I can see from the lengthy comments, to many others. I reference CruiseMissives comment below because it says exactly what I would write. Fortunately we are also four star mariners and can benefit from the well mentioned Mariner Discount Wine Program which we do nightly. Unfortunately, we are sailing in about three weeks within Europe, so little time to compalin. Interestingly, one of our ports of call includes an overnight in Bordeaux. As of the information today we have just cancelled our two vineyard excursions there. On our South America circumnavigation we so much enjoyed the Peruvian, Chilean and Argentine vineyard tours, tastings and purchased the products for quiet times back in our cabin.

What HAL’s arbitrary policy change has done is to punish those of us who are to sail shortly, thereby gaining a breach of trust and forcing many, including us, despite our lengthy loyalty to HAL, to begin to look elsewhere in the future.

So touring the vineyard tasting the wine and bringing some home would be no good?

Haven't you read on here? All those that slap luggage tags on cases of wine also have $1000 bar tabs:rolleyes:

Onboard spending and suite bonus is how you jump a mariner level each year.

It does happen. :rolleyes:

But it will not anymore for us,

Not because the policy is changing, because it was implemented with no warning, for clients who have upcoming cruises.

Edited by surfergirle

Well that's one way to do it.

Business isn't going to hurt. The ships will sail full. Discounts will do it as a last resort.

Right, and they are already selling cruises for $399

It wont hurt until the younger crowd, who will someday replace HALs major demographic of today, realize they aren't competing and move elsewhere that has more offerings...

Edited by surfergirle

As far as the wine list, does every restaurant have the wine you like? Sometimes it's possible to find something similar that you might like better. It's very selfish and self-centered to declare that the line had better replace the current "swill" with your preferred wines.

Actually, I do NOT frequent restaurants that have wine list I either a) think are out of bounds in mark ups; b) have wines I think are uninteresting; or c) both.

So while it is my desire they carry better wines at reasonable mark ups (like the list from Celebrity someone graciously posted), I fully realize it is their choice to do so or not. Ergo, it is MY choice to patronize HAL or not.

Is that clearer? :rolleyes:

mariner....that is EXACTLY what HAL will say.

For us, it really is not such a big deal. We frequent a number of cruise lines. This is simply another branch on a decision tree when determining which of the two or three shortlisted ships/cruise lines to select for a specific cruise.

I have no idea what it will do to HAL's business but HAL's clients certainly appear loyal to a fault.

HAL's new policy is very similar to that of competing lines so I suspect that it will not have much impact on prospective new customers.

HAL's customers have remained loyal throughout all of the downgrades over the past few years. There will be lots of crying and knashing of teeth but I suspect very few will vote with their feet. HAL have no doubt figured this out.

200 posts a day "Just slap a luggage tag on all the cases you want"

We always bring a glass of wine from our cabin to the dining room,pool, crows nest etc.

We ask the bartender for the bar glasses so we can walk around the ship acting like we purchased the wine.

Yes they finally read enough and made their decision.

Edited by Wakepatrol

mariner....that is EXACTLY what HAL will say.

For us, it really is not such a big deal. We frequent a number of cruise lines. This is simply another branch on a decision tree when determining which of the two or three shortlisted ships/cruise lines to select for a specific cruise.

I have no idea what it will do to HAL's business but HAL's clients certainly appear loyal to a fault.

HAL's new policy is very similar to that of competing lines so I suspect that it will not have much impact on prospective new customers.

HAL's customers have remained loyal throughout all of the downgrades over the past few years. There will be lots of crying and knashing of teeth but I suspect very few will vote with their feet. HAL have no doubt figured this out.

If they expanded the offerings and made the beverage package compare to other premium lines, most would be happy, the only problem would be that they did this with no warning, after clients had given money in good faith and under the old policy.

Unfortunately, we are sailing in about three weeks within Europe, so little time to compalin. Interestingly, one of our ports of call includes an overnight in Bordeaux. As of the information today we have just cancelled our two vineyard excursions there. On our South America circumnavigation we so much enjoyed the Peruvian, Chilean and Argentine vineyard tours, tastings and purchased the products for quiet times back in our cabin.

Why would you cancel your vineyard tours? Can you not still go, taste and make notes of what you enjoyed? Or could you not still go, buy the wine and use WineBags to bring them home or pay to have wine shipped (assuming you live in areas where it is legal to do so)? Denying yourself the experience at the vineyards/tasting rooms has nothing to do with the newly implemented HAL policy and is a drastic measure. It's rather a cutting-off-your-nose-to-spite-your-face move. It rather sets you up to have a bad time from the beginning, rather than accepting the policy change and trying to make the best of it.

Why take a winery excursion if you can't bring a bottle back to consume? No one wants to (or is able to, either legally or physically) bring wine home on a cross-country flight.

Patently wrong. You can bring wine home with you on a cross-county flight. I have done it successfully many times, not only cross-country but trans-Pacific. And as I mentioned in a previous post, it is not only possible, but encouraged for you to make notes of what you liked in the tasting rooms at vineyards, either by photographing the bottle or making notes in a notebook. The vineyards want you to be able to remember what you like. so you can then find the wines in their local cellars, or ask to have them carried by local importers.

The change in policy says nothing about buying wine to bring home with you, and certainly does not preclude vineyard tours or tasting room visits.

Edited by ellieanne

Having fully paid for our 24 day September cruise, am extremely disappointed that HAL changes it's policy to come into effect immediately.

We have very recently booked a 34 day cruise for next year, so it's extremely disappointing that we will not be able to take on board a bottle of decent Australian wine at the ports we visit.

[quote name=vancpl;39303661

What HAL’s arbitrary policy change has done is to punish those of us who are to sail shortly' date=' thereby gaining a breach of trust and forcing many, including us, despite our lengthy loyalty to HAL, to begin to look elsewhere in the future.[/quote]

Agree.

Seriously. I don't take anything from HAL or anyone. For him to say that is just wrong. If you did my job, you wouldn't take it lightly.

I think you know that that member probably had NO idea, what you do. I am sure you understand that not everyone knows you. A little over the top. I have no idea what you do, so why would someone new?

Edited by surfergirle