Platinum Happy Hour???

teacherman

We are platinum and we were just on the Caribbean Princess. We were not invited to the happy hour! It was for Elite, and I assume Suite, passengers only.

Included Platinum filks, for sure. Sorry you missed it. We have enjoyed our early evening cocktails and appetizers on recent cruises as Platinum level sailors.

..and it appears that the posters above have not sailed on X since they switched from having a nightly Diamond reception to just giving out (highly restrictive) coupons for "free" drinks.

That's incorrect. celebrity only gives out free drink coupons (3 per day) on cruises with massive amounts of Elite onboard. People seemed to really like them and didn't find them too restrictive. The normal free drink party still continues on most cruises.

It was also for you. Sometimes the invite does not make it to the cabin.

It you do not get the invite next time, see the Captain's Circle host.

Our invite didn't make it to the cabin either. The room steward told us to ask the Captain's Circle host, she said it was his responsibility. By the time we received it on day 2 we had missed the Mojito and Guacamole with chips night, the one I was most looking forward to.

We have attended the Platinum and Elite happy hours on other cruises, but on this cruise we were enjoying Vines much more, with their sushi.

On other cruises, the signs in Skywalkers would say "Platinum and Elite Lounge". However, on this cruise on Caribbean Princess, the signs just said "Elite Lounge". We have gotten invites on other cruise, but not on this one. If we felt we were missing something, we would have looked into it. We just happened to notice the sign when we were in Skywalker's and wondered if there were too many Platinum's and Elite's onboard to invite them all.

It was also for you. Sometimes the invite does not make it to the cabin.

It you do not get the invite next time, see the Captain's Circle host.

Our invite didn't make it to the cabin either. The room steward told us to ask the Captain's Circle host, she said it was his responsibility. By the time we received it on day 2 we had missed the Mojito and Guacamole with chips night, the one I was most looking forward to.

Is the actual invitation required to attend the Happy Hour or can you just show your cruise card?

Thanks,

..and it appears that the posters above have not sailed on X since they switched from having a nightly Diamond reception to just giving out (highly restrictive) coupons for "free" drinks.

Just noticed your posting about the switch on X. Sorry to disagree with you. X does give out coupons. They only give them out if there is a extremely high number of Elites on board. Otherwise they have their evening Elite party from 5 - 7PM.

Even when coupons are provided, they do allow a selection of drinks, not just one type of drink. You would get 3 coupons per night per Elite member that can be used in almost any bar on ship.

So, 3 free drinks per night if you use coupons seems to be better than Princess' $3.95 + tip per drink.

Enjoy a drink on me.

So, 3 free drinks per night if you use coupons seems to be better than Princess' $3.95 + tip per drink.

Enjoy a drink on me.

Think $4.95 plus 15% tip these days for the special drink of the day in the

Platinum/Elite/Suite lounge.

Is the actual invitation required to attend the Happy Hour or can you just show your cruise card?

Thanks,

No need for the invitation (which is really a schedule of when it will be held and the daily featured drink and snack).

Cruise card is enough if they ask for it. I have never been asked.

I guess some times someone will be checking, but that would be the rare exception.

Think $4.95 plus 15% tip these days for the special drink of the day in the Platinum/Elite/Suite lounge.
That's been the case on my last few cruises. However, drink prices in general are much lower on Princess than on X. I can get a Long Island Iced Tea or a mixed drink for $5.50 or a martini for about $7.

My husband and I really enjoy the evening cocktail party. On our last two cruises, we did not receive an invitation until a couple days into the vacation....but I knew to ask around and track down my tasty appetizer and discount drink (which price keeps going up each cruise!)

My surprise was that the cabin steward was not aware of the nightly reception...but we were determined to find it. The next day, we told him about the availability...and his response was something like, "oh really? never heard of it..." It was at least another day before our invite showed up.

Each cruise that we have participated, someone did check cruise cards at the beginning of the week....but once they recognized your faces, there was just a genuine welcome without a double check.

My favorites are the port wine and stilton cheese, the Chairman of the Board, and the Mojito. I have a good time all week, and particularly enjoy getting to know others in the "lounge" as we run into the regulars.

Maddle

Does Princess still have the Platinum/Elite "happy hour" in Skywalkers each afternoon? We have not been on Princess in a few years, but are thinking about doing a cruise in January. I will admit we have been totally "spoiled" by Royal Caribbean with their Diamond receptions each evening.

They have it and we've loved it on most ships and had a wonderful time.

Our last cruise was on the Grand it seemed less special.The room is nice and the outside areas by it well done. However since they don't check on whether or not you actually belong other people wandered in and partook of the snacks. Also they didn't replenish or clean up the area as frequently as they should have. We stopped going after the first two nights.

Thanks,

It's not really an invitation, just a little card that's usually in your

cabin when you arrive -- which has the schedule for your cruise.

What drink/snack is on which night. There may be some nights

when it's not available, it the lounge is in use.

I have never brought more than a cruise card with me,

although one correspondent here has suggested lying about

being in a suite to gain entrance.

Also they didn't replenish or clean up the area as frequently as they should have. We stopped going after the first two nights.
I've experienced this several times, which is a shame. No plates, no napkins, no cheese left, no veggies, etc. just after 6:00pm and when I asked for something that they were out of (like a plate), it was though I'd asked them to do something nasty, like clean a toilet. :( On some ships, it's been a great experience (the Star and Diamond), on others, a poor experience (Island and Crown.)

Thanks,

The invitation isn't required to get in and in reality you can just walk in. I think the only problem would be if you ordered a drink and whipped out a card that wasn't platinum or elite. But even they I doubt they'd tell you to leave but I may be wrong.

I've experienced this several times, which is a shame. No plates, no napkins, no cheese left, no veggies, etc. just after 6:00pm and when I asked for something that they were out of (like a plate), it was though I'd asked them to do something nasty, like clean a toilet. :( On some ships, it's been a great experience (the Star and Diamond), on others, a poor experience (Island and Crown.)

I agree. It was wonderful on the Star and looked like the tail end of a feeding frenzy on the Grand.

That's been the case on my last few cruises. However, drink prices in general are much lower on Princess than on X. I can get a Long Island Iced Tea or a mixed drink for $5.50 or a martini for about $7.

I think the martinis are not only good but reasonable we can pay up to $15 for one here.

Archived