Water from the bars??

sez809

Hi.

Will I be able to get iced water (sans fee!!) from the bars on board the Aurora, when we travel next month? Or, will I have to hunt it down from elsewhere?

I am happy to take my own water for the cabin, but am thinking about drinks on deck. I will be buying a soft drinks card (or two) for the family, but do enjoy an iced water (soda or otherwise) as an alternative!

Thank you for your help.

Sarah

You are likely to be disappointed. A 330ml bottle on board is £1.45 and we ended up buyng a 2l bottle ashore for one euro and bringing it back. A better deal methinks.

They also did an amazing offer. Buy 6 bottles for the price of 5 and save 45% - I would like to see the maths please. Obviously a load of rubbish.

You can ask for tap water in a glass of ice which is free, I find the ships tap water is fine. I fill up old bottles with it and put it in the room fridge.

Two of the outside bars on Oceana had dual ice/water machines. We filled our bottles every day. Maybe the same for you.

Do they not have signs anymore asking you NOT to fill you own water bottles from these machines? They always did, something to do with hygiene!

Lou

Don't know whether it's the same, but on Fred Olsen, we used to fill our own water bottles from the push tap in the gym? It's not unhygienic as you just press and hold your water bottle to collect the stream.

Yes, P&O ships do still request that you do not refill bottles from their supply, in fact on Arcadia it was set up so that it would have been impossible to do just that. I have to drink between 2 and 3 litres of water daily for medicinal reasons and I made myself ill using the ship's tap water on Azura so will never do that again. Are you aware just where it is stored? If you knew (as I now do), you wouldn't even think of filling your bottles from the ship's taps and crew on Arcadia told me they are not allowed to use the tap water for drinking.

You can buy six one-litre bottles for the price of five and its well worth it because its not that expensive and saves buying from shops ashore and lugging bottles aboard.

Hope that helps!

You can ask for tap water in a glass of ice which is free, I find the ships tap water is fine. I fill up old bottles with it and put it in the room fridge.

Thank you! I might give this a go. However, we are planning on carrying on several bottles of water, which I hope to replenish at each port.

Thanks for all the replies.

... and crew on Arcadia told me they are not allowed to use the tap water for drinking.

Interesting....the officers on Arcadia more often than not drink tap water with lunch & dinner. Is that because it's too good for the rest of the crew? :rolleyes:

VP

Tap water on a ship is possibly the most germ free in the world, its from a desalination plant (germ free) and is stored in ultra-violet (germ killing) controlled tank. I cant see how anyone could catch anything from it.

We also asked at any of the bars for a large glass of ice to take back to the cabin in the afternoon.

Kept our ice bucket topped up until the cabin boy filled it early evening for us.

I hadn't realised P&O were that Passe! :D

Are you aware just where it is stored? If you knew (as I now do), you wouldn't even think of filling your bottles from the ship's taps and crew on Arcadia told me they are not allowed to use the tap water for drinking.

Absolute rubbish. I suppose these crew also worked in the bars so could sell you bottled water.

Fresh water is made daily from desalination and is perfectly safe to drink in fact its safer to drink than any bottled water.

Bottled water has been in plastic bottles for who knows how long often stored in direct sunlight at the factories before it is shipped to distribution centres then to shops then put in a fridge and sold as natural spring water.

I am always astounded seeing people carrying dozens of bottles of water from the supermarket, including our neighbours. We have installed a small filter just under our sink. It was £36 and we get lovely water, no cholorine smell, and no other nasties.

I am always astounded seeing people carrying dozens of bottles of water from the supermarket, including our neighbours. We have installed a small filter just under our sink. It was £36 and we get lovely water, no cholorine smell, and no other nasties.

I happily drink tap water at home (our fridge filters & chills it for us!), and will do so on board. I just like to have some bottles as "back up", which doesnt make sense, I know, but thats just me!

Thanks again for all the further information!

Absolute rubbish. I suppose these crew also worked in the bars so could sell you bottled water.

Actually no, it was a hairdresser in The Retreat.

Anyway, nobody has to believe me but if you drink as much of the ship's tapwater as I have to then maybe you too would be as ill as I was. At home, I always drink tapwater and refill bottles when I go out for the day, no problems whatsoever.

You have been warned!

Anyway, nobody has to believe me but if you drink as much of the ship's tapwater as I have to then maybe you too would be as ill as I was. At home, I always drink tapwater and refill bottles when I go out for the day, no problems whatsoever.

You have been warned!

Trusting technical advice from a hairdresser? :rolleyes:

If a person has to drink 2 to 3 litres of water per day for medical reasons then for some people it is to help keep the sodium level in the blood correct.

If that is the reason to drink so much water then it is worth knowing that the food on cruise ships generally contains rather more salt than food cooked at home.

VP

You have been warned!

Oh well it must be true if a hairdresser from The Retreat says so I mean they are qualified in mmmmm oh yes hairdressing.

I prefer to believe my husband who is a Marine Engineering Officer who is qualified in mmmmmmmmmmmmm oh yes Marine Engineering including the production of fresh water by desalination and has 26 years experience.

But thanks for the warning.

Trusting technical advice from a hairdresser? :rolleyes:

If a person has to drink 2 to 3 litres of water per day for medical reasons then for some people it is to help keep the sodium level in the blood correct.

If that is the reason to drink so much water then it is worth knowing that the food on cruise ships generally contains rather more salt than food cooked at home.

VP

I certainly did not post on here to be belittled by so many, simply to relate my own experience of being ill from drinking the tapwater on Azura and repeating what I had been told on Arcadia by a crew member in the hope that others would not be ill too. I was trying to be helpful.

And the reason I have to drink so much water is that I had colon cancer.

Just out if interest, how can you say it was the water that made you sick and not something you ate, a bug or other cause?

The only problem we had with the tap in our cabin was that the cold tap never came out cold. In fact until we reported it, I burned myself on the "cold" water unless I let it run a while.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived