If revenue is the issue, what wine policy makes sense?

arewethereyet

I would be quite willing to pay $15 per bottle 'corkage' for a reasonable quantity of bottles carried on board. If I then wanted to drink this wine in the MDR I would have no problem paying a further corkage ($18 ?) as there would be a service provided in the MDR compared to just 'balcony sipping'.

This formula would bring the price of the wines I like to drink (not available on HAL) to the price level of a good restaurant, and HAL would take a good cut with all the corkages.

I would be quite willing to pay $15 per bottle 'corkage' for a reasonable quantity of bottles carried on board. If I then wanted to drink this wine in the MDR I would have no problem paying a further corkage ($18 ?) as there would be a service provided in the MDR compared to just 'balcony sipping'.

This formula would bring the price of the wines I like to drink (not available on HAL) to the price level of a good restaurant, and HAL would take a good cut with all the corkages.

FYI--the corkage fee is now $20. Princess' is $15. And, at present, they do allow you to bring wine on and pay it for each bottle, consumed anywhere, including your cabin. Princess is starting to look better....and their loyalty program is superior.

I am well aware of what the corkage rate is and what it was. There's enough threads going at the moment to make everyone aware of the rates.

I was simply stating, in conjunction with the thread's title, what I considered to be good for HAL and good for me.

The minds that are HAL apparently feel this new policy is best, and that's the way it is going to be.

Because some are unhappy won't change anything. You knew this change was coming sooner or later.

The minds that are HAL apparently feel this new policy is best, and that's the way it is going to be.

Because some are unhappy won't change anything. You knew this change was coming sooner or later.

You have been on each thread insisting there's no point in doing anything. But you know what? - Change would never happen in this world without people standing up and fighting for it. Apathy never gets you anywhere.

Yes, we knew this change was coming. I was posting about it a week ago and had several people actually bash me for spreading rumors. Of course, the most aggressive poster has slinked away with his tail between his legs. I knew I would not be able to bring on wine for my 2014 cruise. However, a cruiseline with decency and class would have some sort of grace or faze in period. When this was implemented on Princess, there were at least 5 months before it was enforced.

HAL has proven that it cannot be trusted nor do they care about their customers. I accept the change---just not how it was done. With NO days notice. Someone on my next rollcall was on a ship---when they put up a sign about it on Friday. How insane is that??? I cannot sail on a cruiseline that is unscrupulous!!

For Neptune Suite Holders:

Those pax have already paid a premium

2 bottles per each pax at embarkation

1 bottle per each pax at ports.

For all other veranda suites:

1 bottle per each pax at embarkation

1 bottle per cabin in ports

Inside cabins should be allowed 1 bottle per each pax at embarkation. It would be quite difficult for those pax to argue how they enjoy a glass of wine on their balcony while leaving port.

HAL sets up a wine allowance table outside of the ship at each port so as to not hamper everyone's ability to get on and off at the ship at every port. You present your room card along with your wine and you receive an allowance receipt that you present to security while boarding.

It will never happen but I think it would be fair.

This is ludicrous. Why should what cabin you stay in reflect what wine you are allowed. There's nothing fair or equal about that. Pretty soon we'll be heading back to 1st, 2nd and steerage.

You have been on each thread insisting there's no point in doing anything. But you know what? - Change would never happen in this world without people standing up and fighting for it. Apathy never gets you anywhere.

totally agree startwin. Typhoon1 - apathy lost you the war of 1812:D sorry couldn't resist - Canadians are not apathetic by trade and we believe in principles. There's a principle involved here and yes - we will fight.

We might lose - but when we go with our wallets at least HAL will know why they are losing a customer base. We're actually doing the company a favour - if they don't kow why clients aren't happy - they can't fix it. Many people just walk. Most good companies welcome complaints so they can either (a) fix it or (b) find a better way to do it.

If HAL wants to duck - so be it - we've learned a lot. and it speaks to the character of the corporation IMO

Suggestions:

1. Revamp the present wine list to include more approachable selections along with commensurate price adjustments.

2. Revise the policy to include one gratis bottle per passenger per port.

3. Charge a corkage fee per bottle for those bottles above the gratis limit.

4. When making significant changes to any policy which may affect a passenger's cruise experience, the company should provide enough lead time to allow for informed decision-making.

None of this is particularly hard and none of this should be that hard to implement.

I like this idea. Should accomodate all and should not offend anyone.

there would not be the need to bring wine on board and they should have a better selection under $40. HAL has been our preferred line and we no longer sail on NCL and Princess as they have too many restrictions. If HAL is trying to emulate them, then we will be choosing a different line even if it costs a bit more. We always felt that HAL had the most reasonable policies but now they are getting just like all the lower class ships.

there would not be the need to bring wine on board and they should have a better selection under $40. HAL has been our preferred line and we no longer sail on NCL and Princess as they have too many restrictions. If HAL is trying to emulate them, then we will be choosing a different line even if it costs a bit more. We always felt that HAL had the most reasonable policies but now they are getting just like all the lower class ships.

Absolutely right!

My daughter got off the Zuiderdam last week. She reported the table next to her waited in vain throughout dinner for the wine waiter to bring their bottle of wine, purchased the previous evening, and left without having any at all.

We never had this happening to us and if it would the diningroom stewards

would not be happy because i don't order until my wine is there and poored,:D

For those of us "Low Class" cruisers that enjoy Princess as well as HAL - there are many people who sail on other cruise lines (Seabourn, Silversea, Crystal, etc.) that view HAL as being a "Low Class" cruise line.....

We never had this happening to us and if it would the diningroom stewards

would not be happy because i don't order until my wine is there and poored,:D

Excellent strategy, if it actually works :D. We must try this in December.

Suggestions:

2. Revise the policy to include one gratis bottle per passenger per port.

3. Charge a corkage fee per bottle for those bottles above the gratis limit.

Excellent suggestions.

Some have suggested that corkage fees will require more wine steward staffing. Why not split the corkage fee into two: a boarding fee for all bottles brought on board, (eg. $ 5 to 8 each), and then an additional actual corkage fee per bottle in the dining room or lounges (eg.$ 8 to 10). That why they get some revenue on all bottles over one. And compensation for the lost sales in the public area. And no expectation of a wine steward opening every bottle in your stateroom because of the charge.

For those of us "Low Class" cruisers that enjoy Princess as well as HAL - there are many people who sail on other cruise lines (Seabourn, Silversea, Crystal, etc.) that view HAL as being a "Low Class" cruise line.....

I agree. We are Elite with Princess and have just been on both Princess and Celebrity this year and cannot find any difference at all between HAL and those two cruise lines. In fact on our recent Princess cruise, only 6 weeks ago, we had the best food ever. It was even better than our cruises on Oceania and Azamara and our waiting staff plus our cabin steward were also top class. That was on the lovely little Ocean Princess which is our favourite ship. It may be "Low Class" in some people's minds but I am certainly not a "Low Class" person and I am insulted at that description of one of our favourite cruise lines.

Yes, there are loads of people who sail on the top class cruise lines who do turn their noses up at anything below Cunard, Seabourne, Silverseas and Crystal which is their right as they are paying top dollar. We are paying far less on HAL for our 22 day cruise in October than we paid for our 16 day cruise on Princess back in June so if Princess is considered "Low Class" then what is HAL with their cheaper prices.

Jennie

I agree. We are Elite with Princess and have just been on both Princess and Celebrity this year and cannot find any difference at all between HAL and those two cruise lines. In fact on our recent Princess cruise, only 6 weeks ago, we had the best food ever. It was even better than our cruises on Oceania and Azamara and our waiting staff plus our cabin steward were also top class. That was on the lovely little Ocean Princess which is our favourite ship. It may be "Low Class" in some people's minds but I am certainly not a "Low Class" person and I am insulted at that description of one of our favourite cruise lines.

Yes, there are loads of people who sail on the top class cruise lines who do turn their noses up at anything below Cunard, Seabourne, Silverseas and Crystal which is their right as they are paying top dollar. We are paying far less on HAL for our 22 day cruise in October than we paid for our 16 day cruise on Princess back in June so if Princess is considered "Low Class" then what is HAL with their cheaper prices.

Jennie

I think everything has something different that is important to them:

For me it is a bathtub, hot room service breakfast, and room service from mdr for dinner. A retractable roof over the pool and cabanas (with sun loungers, not a sofa) for rent that you can book in advance...

We are select on x, but you will not find any of the above on them.

X even has a place on the door hang tag for breakfast where there are for purchase items...

However, x does have a good wine list and sets the industry standard in beverage packages (all inclusive)...

Everyone is different when it comes to what they are looking for.

This is ludicrous. Why should what cabin you stay in reflect what wine you are allowed. There's nothing fair or equal about that. Pretty soon we'll be heading back to 1st, 2nd and steerage.

It's not ludicrous.

It's a business. Those pax that pay more should receive additional benefits. I suppose you want to pay a coach fare and fly in first class.

Yes, they should receive benefits for services/items they receive whilst onboard. I have no problem with that, however, I do have a problem with varying what people can bring onboard. That's my point. It's just seems to hint at elitism in my opinion.

HAL don't allow more or less baggage depending upon statetoom choice, for example. Well at least not yet. So why do it with wine? Makes no sense.

I've learned HAL has a terrible wine list

I've learned people don't want to pay

$30 for a $10 bottle they can buy at Publix

$50 for a $15 bottle they can buy at Publix

$80 for a $30 bottle they can buy at Publix

Yet people who bring wine, buy plenty of wine on the ship:confused:

what off the lousy wine list?

The guy who stopped at Publix isn't buying it.

So who's buying it?

Oh I know... Not enough people,that's why the policy has changed.

A very valid point

I've learned HAL has a terrible wine list

I've learned people don't want to pay

$30 for a $10 bottle they can buy at Publix

$50 for a $15 bottle they can buy at Publix

$80 for a $30 bottle they can buy at Publix

Yet people who bring wine, buy plenty of wine on the ship:confused:

what off the lousy wine list?

The guy who stopped at Publix isn't buying it.

So who's buying it?

Oh I know... Not enough people,that's why the policy has changed.

True to form, you have intentionally twisted what people have posted. You create a strawman time after time. There are no $10 Publix wines that HAL sells for $30. I would do flips to purchase wine at the multiples you quoted (maybe not $80 for a $30). The markup is not nearly so bad as you go up in price. But, the lower priced wines are ridiculously priced. You have a lot of snarky comments, but haven't taken the time to do a little research into pricing among cruise lines. HAL's pricing is out of line. What's so hard to understand?

It's not ludicrous.

It's a business. Those pax that pay more should receive additional benefits. I suppose you want to pay a coach fare and fly in first class.

It's a ludicrous wine policy. The people who pay more for cabins already get perks associated with those higher categories. The wine policy applies to everyone who boards, just like smoking, diapered babies in the pools, and other policies.

ML

True to form, you have intentionally twisted what people have posted. You create a strawman time after time. There are no $10 Publix wines that HAL sells for $30. I would do flips to purchase wine at the multiples you quoted (maybe not $80 for a $30). The markup is not nearly so bad as you go up in price. But, the lower priced wines are ridiculously priced. You have a lot of snarky comments, but haven't taken the time to do a little research into pricing among cruise lines. HAL's pricing is out of line. What's so hard to understand?

Read post # 30

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1888947&page=2

Archived