Which side of ship?

CraftyDD

The above advice, can be pretty useless, since many ships are miles aways from any coastlines.

Inside passage, you will have views on both sides, as well as Puget Sound and Victoria.

I have never been on any round trip Seattle cruise that did "coastal sailing" with a major cruiseline.

I am inclined to agree with BQ, out of Seattle it really doesn't matter which side you choose as for the better part of a day in either direction you are not going to see anything but ocean. So once in the Inside Passage north of Vancouver Is. what you don't see on the way up you will see on the way down....this applies equally in Puget Sound except southbound you are going to be in the night hours and it has been my experience over the years the scenery in the pretty much the same either side.

Mea Culpa.

I didn't think about the distance that the ship travels off the coast. Unless the OP has a good pair of binoculars or likes to get up early enough to see the ship getting close to the shore prior to pulling into port, seeing the coast from the ship is unlikely. Thanks for chiming in and keeping me honest. :)

I want to be out on the open decks and not stuck with the view from one side. Our best cabin ever to Alaska was a balcony overlooking the bow of the ship. We could see both sides. Technically these cabins (on the Sapphire and Diamond Princess) are classified as deluxe ocean view cabins. They don't have any furniture and there are restrictions on the use of the balcony. For our cruise, however, the only restriction was that we keep the lights off or the curtains closed while sailing after dark.

My recommendation is not to worry about which side of the ship you will be on.

I pay more attention to its location on the deck.

Your best views will come from the open deck where you can easily walk from side to side to take in the views.

Keith

When you get to the glaciers -- you want to be on the outside decks for the best views -- especially the bow of the ship.

If you are booking a balcony or verandah cabin -- the majority of the time the captains have the port side of the ship facing inland when the ship is docked. We do like to sit out on our verandah and people watch when we are back on the ship. And it is great for arrivals and departures.

Otherwise -- while the ship moves from port to port -- you are "At Sea" and not seeing much.

Archived