Princess Cays

KCI

We will be on Princess Cays end of Dec. A little too cool for us to be swimming...what else is there to do beside the few excursions shown on the Princess site? Is there a lunch buffet as part of the day or do you have to purchase food? Any info appreciated. Thanks

We will be on Princess Cays end of Dec. A little too cool for us to be swimming...what else is there to do beside the few excursions shown on the Princess site? Is there a lunch buffet as part of the day or do you have to purchase food? Any info appreciated. Thanks

The only thing you have to purchase foodwise are soft drinks or beer. There are burgers, hot dogs, salads, etc. We never partake in this since the thought of anything having mayonnaise and being outdoors turns us off completely to everything else they have.

The only thing you have to purchase foodwise are soft drinks or beer. There are burgers, hot dogs, salads, etc. We never partake in this since the thought of anything having mayonnaise and being outdoors turns us off completely to everything else they have.

I was going to buy you lunch on Princess Cay next February. Guess that's out... :rolleyes:

Lew

The water is too chilly to us when we are at Princess Cays (normally in January) but we've still enjoyed our beach stops there on sunny days. :)

We normally eat a late breakfast before going over and then get something from the International Café or Grill when we return to the ship.

LuLu

~~~~

All food is brought in from the ship on the first tenders of the morning. It is grill food. The ship's kitchen staff grills the burgers, dogs, etc. There is also ice tea, cake, cookies, fruit. It's really not bad. Never had a problem. There are two dining pavilions one to the right and one to the left as you exit the tender. All the food is free. You eat at picnic tables with disposable ware. Also, to the left is a nice beach bar. Beer, drinks, canned soda. You can not use the soda sticker at the beach. There were local musicians playing there last January. There are lots of lounge chairs and plenty of shade or sun. I would say it will be comfortable in December. There is also a gift shop.

All purchases are with your cruise card only. However, just adjacent to the rear of the beach is a gate where you can leave the Princess property and shop at some local vendor's stands. This will require cash or another method of payment. No cruise cards there.

Interesting fact is that mayonnaise outdoors poses very little health hazard. I was surprised to learn this, but the acid in the mayo does not allow bacteria to grow. So, that potato salad at a picnic or barbecue is completely safe to eat, even after 4 hours.

Here is just one of many links regarding mayo:

http://homecooking.about.com/od/howtocookwithcondiments/a/mayospoilage.htm

We ate buffet food at Princess Cays and it was fine, just no big deal, buffet food never is.

Interesting fact is that mayonnaise outdoors poses very little health hazard. I was surprised to learn this, but the acid in the mayo does not allow bacteria to grow. So, that potato salad at a picnic or barbecue is completely safe to eat, even after 4 hours.

Here is just one of many links regarding mayo:

http://homecooking.about.com/od/howtocookwithcondiments/a/mayospoilage.htm

We ate buffet food at Princess Cays and it was fine, just no big deal, buffet food never is.

ok Mayo is good. Flies are not. :eek:

There is water gear you can reserve a time for (in the excursions). Catamarans, sea kayaks, peddle trikes, etc. If you bring a photo ID you can go through the fence (near first aid hut I think) to see the local vendors and/or take a long walk on the roads. Take a look at the island on Google maps, satellite view, and you will see the roads.

If you leave the Princess Cays area to shop at the local vendors' shops, you will need to have a photo ID to get out and back in.

I'm pretty fussy about flies and can't say I've seen a lot of them on Princess Cays. They do spray for bugs there, so maybe that helps. I just think the BBQ smells so much better than it tastes. We stick to the chicken breast, cookies, but bread and lots of fruit and enjoy our days there very much.

ok Mayo is good. Flies are not. :eek:

Yuck. If I would have seen flies, I definitely would not have eaten any of the food there.

I'll hunt down a fly in my house until its life is over. I rarely eat outside on our patio at home since flies seen to think they are welcome.

Spiders don't stand much of a chance with me, either.

Yuck. If I would have seen flies, I definitely would not have eaten any of the food there.

I'll hunt down a fly in my house until its life is over. I rarely eat outside on our patio at home since flies seen to think they are welcome.

Spiders don't stand much of a chance with me, either.

Same here. I am definitely not an outdoors eater. I have a very large patio and lots of furniture. My BBQ has never been used and I've never eaten one thing out there. It's all for show.

I have a very large patio and lots of furniture. My BBQ has never been used and I've never eaten one thing out there. It's all for show.

Well…we're just going to have to fire up that grill when the entire roll call stops over after we disembark the Royal TA. I have a feeling a great time will be had by all!!

Thanks in advance for your hospitality, Pia…

Lew

Well…we're just going to have to fire up that grill when the entire roll call stops over after we disembark the Royal TA. I have a feeling a great time will be had by all!!

Thanks in advance for your hospitality, Pia…

Lew

You are more than welcome. However, after being away for five weeks, ain't gonna' be nothing to eat in that house other than peanut butter, Bumble Bee and coffee. Always coffee. :D These are my staples.

Did not have any issues with flies. Find yourself a lounge chair early, the right side (facing Princess Cays) was definitely less crowded when we were there. If you want a clam shell book it in advance!! Other than that sit back have a few cold drinks and enjoy yourself. The food in our opinion was pretty decent, fish was fresh.

Archived