Has anyone else completely avoided having your picture taken by the photographers?

reedl

While it is true that they work for an independent contractor and don't do any other work on the ship, I think many of them are not professional photographers with many years of experience. They probably give them some kind of crash course on photography basics and then send them to the ships.

I think these folks are getting a little bit of a bad rap. When it is their job to take several quick photos to keep a line moving, of course they aren't always going to come out so well. You wait in line and then get about a minute to have 4 or 5 pictures taken.

I've seen their product when people sign up for the private sessions and have the time to set up good photos, and the results were quite impressive.

These days we don't take any photos that we haven't requested ourselves. No embarkation photos in the terminal anymore. No MDR pics anymore. DEFINITELY none of those horrible pirate photos at the Caribbean port stops...yuk. LOL

"No thank you" does the trick. We haven't posed for any photos in the past 5 years. Other than maybe a formal night, we don't have a desire to have a picture taken of us on the ship.

Actually, on any trip, there is only a handful that have us. Its mostly just the sights.

On our first cruise we got some and on the second we got less and after that we say no thank you... or I say " Im on witness protection plan, so I cant have my pix taken" they usually laugh, but some look at me like I have two heads....:D

I guess if you dont cruise a whole lot, you want the pix, but for folks that cruise quite often, it gets old fast...

I get a kick out of the Pirate and that eye liner moustache... lol

The one I really dislike though is the ones at dinner while we are all eating. We just say no thank you and he / she moves on. Again, if they dont leave I have a smart A$$ comment. I simply ask the photographer for more rolls...lol !!!

We are not drinkers, so our liquor bill is zero, but, you should see our photo

bill, LOL. We let them take as many pictures as they want, don't have to take a single one, but we do. We love looking thru all the photo albums.

We are not drinkers, so our liquor bill is zero, but, you should see our photo

bill, LOL. We let them take as many pictures as they want, you don't have to take a single one, but we do. We love looking thru all the photo albums that

we've created over the years. Nice memories.

We had always avoided having our picture taken on previous cruises but last cruise we decided to have our picture taken everytime they tried to take it. We were hoping that we would get a good one that we could buy but the one we really wanted to see never showed up. So we didn't buy any. We will try again next time. We thought if they want to waste their film we might as well try to get a good picture.

Just a FYI... The reason they take so many pictures is because they DON'T use film, it's all digital

I actually knew that but reverted to the "old days" for a minute I guess. LOL Thanks for pointing that out.

But even in pre-digital times they always took tons of pictures. And still today they print a lot of photos. Just think of all the waste created by this. This makes it pretty obvious that they make a pretty good profit if they can afford to develop so many pictures and then throw them away if people don't want them.

We did a family cruise with our daughter and grandchildren and bought the photo package. That was a great choice because we got some really memorable memories. If using this ploy you want to get your picture taken as much as possible.

Shak

But even in pre-digital times they always took tons of pictures. And still today they print a lot of photos. Just think of all the waste created by this. This makes it pretty obvious that they make a pretty good profit if they can afford to develop so many pictures and then throw them away if people don't want them.

If they weren't so expensive, they might sell more, make more money, and there would be less waste. Just a thought!!!

I have been on 8 cruises so far and have successfully avoided having my pictures taken on all 8 cruises. Or at least a picture of just me or me and a few people. It is almost a challenge to now go on a cruise and not have my picture taken now. In fact I kind of enjoy the challenge.

Of course I was on TV since the wife and I won the "Love and Marriage" game show. So there! In fact people were stopping us and saying "I saw you on TV!"

But no pictures (that I know of)

Of course even if they took a picture of me, I would never buy them anyways

We typically don't buy them either, but we found out a long time ago that it is not what they sell, but how many they take that gets them their commission. So now we let them take them ever though we won't buy them. We buy some on the longer cruises but we have been on Majesty so many times there is no way we buy any pictures when we are on her.

The unsold photos are recycled for a small return and not just thrown out. I am sure with the quantities of paper and ink that the cruise lines use they get very good pricing. Then add in the return on the tons of recycled paper and they are not losing on the unsold photos.

Even in the old days of film and developed photos, they recycled and recovered the silver out of the film and photos. I spent two summers at the commercial photo studio my dad worked at seperating film and photos for recovery.

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1 using Forums mobile app.

Archived