Has anyone else completely avoided having your picture taken by the photographers?

reedl

I have been on 8 cruises so far and have successfully avoided having my pictures taken on all 8 cruises. Or at least a picture of just me or me and a few people. It is almost a challenge to now go on a cruise and not have my picture taken now. In fact I kind of enjoy the challenge.

Of course I was on TV since the wife and I won the "Love and Marriage" game show. So there! In fact people were stopping us and saying "I saw you on TV!"

But no pictures (that I know of)

Of course even if they took a picture of me, I would never buy them anyways

We have only had a few photos taken over the last 10 years, or so. About the only time we have them taken any more is if we are in a new/different port and we will stop and have a gangway photo taken. Usually use the photo coupons. :) Another exception would be Captain's Table Dinners.

These days it is quite easy to avoid having your photo taken (lets the Witness Protection folks happy :D). I remember when it was almost impossible to politely refuse to have your photo taken. Now, the photographers are much more accommodating.

Ray in NH

Generally, I find it easier and less time consuming to just smile and let them snap at places where I'm already sitting e.g. Dinner. Other than that I just keep walking.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We have only had a few photos taken over the last 10 years, or so. About the only time we have them taken any more is if we are in a new/different port and we will stop and have a gangway photo taken. Usually use the photo coupons. :)

These days it is quite easy to avoid having your photo taken (lets the Witness Protection folks happy :D). I remember when it was almost impossible to politely refuse to have your photo taken. Now, the photographers are much more accommodating.

Ray in NH

these days it's almost impossible to not have your picture taken repeatedly. The only real question is whether it will show up online and whether you'll be tagged.

I avoid the pics when getting off at a port. However, we generally get them taken on formal night, sometimes at dinner and occasionally at embarkation. We seldom purchase a pic. DH and I are never both looking good in a pic.

I have to admit I hate the pictures getting off the ship. Really, do I need a picture with a pirate? If she is hot I will stop to take a picture :cool: but usually just say no and move on. And as somebody said, pictures at dinner is really annoying. I'll usually take them to be nice as I know they are just doing their job and trying to make some money....but please...who really wants a picture at the dinner table? Think I'll do some funny poses or make faces this time just to entertain myself.

I do enjoy the formal night pictures. We don't always buy them but if nothing else it's fun to pose and it kills some time while waiting for the doors to open at dinner. And if one turns out real good then it will be nice to have since we don't do it enough at home.

The first few cruises we had to buy just about every picture but now we are old pros and can find better ways to spend the money.

Generally, I find it easier and less time consuming to just smile and let them snap at places where I'm already sitting e.g. Dinner. Other than that I just keep walking.

Actually, at dinner is where I really dislike the intrusion into "our time". Also the Dining Rooms are seldom a very good/photogenic background.

Ray in NH

I have been on 8 cruises so far and have successfully avoided having my pictures taken on all 8 cruises. Or at least a picture of just me or me and a few people. It is almost a challenge to now go on a cruise and not have my picture taken now. In fact I kind of enjoy the challenge.

Of course I was on TV since the wife and I won the "Love and Marriage" game show. So there! In fact people were stopping us and saying "I saw you on TV!"

We avoid picutures now. I guess we do get the initial picture taken which is to help identify you for your pictures. :rolleyes:

I just tell them nicely that it will cost them $50 for the privilege of taking my picture. That usually makes them move along pretty quickly. It annoys a bit when they block the walkways and a create a mini traffic jam trying to get people to take pictures with them.

Do you have a warrant out for your arrest? LOL

LOL guess I'm a minority. Cruised 17 times and still get my pic take at every opportunity. I buy embarkation & every port pic on all my cruises. I scrapbook all my trips and i use the embarkation & port pics as section dividers in my books. Always buy at least one from formal night as well.

I've found the RCI photographers will respect a "No, I'd rather not." I couldn't dissuade the ones on NCL though. They took a disembark picture of me at every port, wearing my Explorer of the Seas Sun Hat! I still wonder if they stuck those photos in the gallery for the other passengers to comment on.

As for the formal pictures, we always have some taken. Since I started cruising with my DD when she was 8, it makes a nice visual history of the last 11 years ... she's become taller ... and I've become grayer. ;)

Nope, in fact, sometimes we are the opposite. When I travel with a group, we love playing head games with the photographers by mixing and matching our groups. We also ask strangers to come in and join our pictures, many actually love joining in because we are often having so much fun doing it.

This usually confuses the photographers who come from Eastern Europe, or at least it has in my experience

I keep walking and say no which usually is enough to deter them. When they come around at dinner, I again say no and they respect that. I have never bought a picture from them or wanted to buy one but then they don't have one to sell anyway.

The one time I had a severe problem with the photographers was on our first carnival cruise. The photographers would not take no for an answer and several times I almost came to physical blows to get my point across. Several times I was ready to put their camera where the sun does not shine!

Not long back from IOS cruise to West Med.

We dont like our pictures taken, and were only asked once when we embarked, once in the MDR and once outside the ship on the quay. A polite "No Thanks" was all that was needed, and the photographers were certainly not pushy.

As a further note, the quality of the photos we saw in the gallery bit left a lot to desired. My wife is a professional photographer and noted such faults as out of focus subjects, photos not sharp, busy backgounds, harsh lighting, subject placings and poses a mess, as if the subject was not prepared for the photo being taken.

We have been on a few cruises but this was the only one where we noticed the photos were pretty garbage.

I did for a while and then I figured why turn down professional photographers wanting to take your picture, or a friends picture etc. You might get a good picture out of the deal and it's really no skin off my check.
My sentiments exactly Rev.:)

What's the point in getting no pictures taken?

And of course the pictures aren't the same quality as a real photographer...the guys holding the camera are another time of the day your waiter or an artist in the theater...normaly they have the camera in "Auto" mode...

Archived