E-reader or print books?

NCnewbie

I just got the nook HD for the holiday last year and love it. I was even going to download a movie or two (since I still have tons of storage even with 40 plus unread books!)...

I'm definitely bringing it with me, but mostly because I like to read before I go to sleep and having a couple good movies on there might be a good thing too

I have both an iPad and a Kindle Fire, neither of which are great for reading outdoors. So I did bring 2 real books. But as someone else said, I spent far more time people watching than reading, and the only time I did read was when I was in my cabin before going to bed - so for my next cruise, I might do one real book and one on my iPad.

I have a Nook HD which is a great little tablet, good for games and Netflix and such, and of course is also a reader. But it has the backlit screen and while it's ok indoors or in dim light it doesn't work so well in the sun or other bright light.

For the best pure reading I much prefer the e-ink display. Much easier on the eyes and works great in sunlight. My relatively ancient first generation Nook still works great and the newer model basic Nooks are super too.

You can link all your devices to one B&N account. I have over 200 books shared among all our devices. Easy to side-load library books too.

Still have to resist the urge to bring a back-up paperback or two. Once I forgot my charger and the ship's library came to my rescue.

• 4 weeks later...

My vote is for a lightweight paperback or two/three..... depending on how much you read.

The paperbacks do not take up a lot of luggage space and if they get wet from pool water, beach sand or whatever, no biggie. You can also donate them to the ship's library when you are finished. Pay-it-forward. :)

I'm bringing both- I love my Kindle Fire (my husband has an ipad III and I don't think it is worth the cost!). I have a first generation Kindle Fire, so this year I am getting the Windows tablet and giving my kindle to my niece. As many on this post have mentioned, Kindle Fires and Ipads don't read well in sunlight, so I am bringing a paperback or two for lounging in the sun. I can't wait to be on that deck!

My vote is for the Kindle Fire for a number of reasons. The same book on Amazon is less expensive than Barnes & Noble. I also found 3 sites where books were from free to $2.99!

We are going on a 31 day cruise, and I have 70 books backed up to read.

I was a hard over book reader because the earlier readers were just that.

My Kindle fire has wifi so I can check my e-mails, bank balances, etc.

I also have an app to download instrument approach charts for when I fly.

Any books that they leave on chairs I consider part of a free lending library that is available for the taking. The loose the chair and I get a book to read. LOL!!

DON

But most chair hogs read such trash. I can never find anything worthwhile.

Thank goodness most ships have good libraries. I am not fond on my Kindle.

I love to read...but, like many other people, I think I'll be a little too distracted to actually read. Instead, I really like audio books.

I have a membership to audible.com and I think that Amazon Prime offers audio books. I just download them to my ipod, sit back, close my eyes and 'read'.

If you have iTunes, look for podcasts like the New Yorker fiction podcast, Escapepod or podcastle for short horror/fantasy stories. They're free and really entertaining.

We think its a matter of the right tool for the job. You can certainly use a laptop, Kindle Fire, iPad, and even some Smart Phones as an e-reader..but all those devices are not the best tool for the job because they can be difficult to use in bright sunlight, they can be a bit too valuable to leave laying around, and some of those devices are a bit hefty. For just plain reading we love the simple and relatively inexpensive Kindle or Kindle Touch with its nifty e-ink system. This device is very easy to read in direct light, is very lightweight, and will hold thousands of books. My Kindle has really been beaten-up because I take it on beaches, all over ships, toss it in luggage on all our trips, etc. But it cost me less then $100 and still will work for several weeks (as opposed to only hours on most other devices) on a single charge. If it breaks or gets lost I can replace it for less then $100 and all its books are backed-up on my laptop.

Hank

I tried audiobooks but found that you have to concentrate while you listen. We tried an audiobook once when driving to a cruise (5 hours) didn't work. I do like to listen to the 30 minute audio classics especially the old Dragnets or your FBI on XM while driving to work in the morning.

I have a simple Nook, and a Nook HD, and love them both!

Barnes & Noble allow you to have five devices on your account at one time. I enjoy using the simple Nook for basic reading because of the reasons listed in previous posts (easier to see in an e-ink format). That is the version I'd pack on a cruise.

That said, I will kick it old school, and bring an actual book or a couple of magazines from time to time. :)

i love the feel of a new paperback and always buy at least 3 for any trips and then swap them with others when i've finished. I read a lot, but then I have to because of my job. i started reading my town library's fiction section when i moved here 3 years ago, i started on A and now i'm at S.

I have an older kindle with the keyboard and it is great in sunlight. Reading the e-ink is just like reading the ink on paper. No glare - no problems. I usually leave my kindle in my pool bag and have never had any issues. I do read by the pool and I love to sit on the balcony and read. My battery lasts for 2-3 weeks if I'm reading, but I bring my charger with me - just in case!

E books are the way for me now. Used to take real books but had a problem where I finished reading all of the ones I brought and too close to disembarkation to borrow one from the library.

When to the store on board to buy one and a paperback book was $22.00. Needless to say, no reading after that.

I catch up on a years worth of reading when we cruise. I love sea days on the balcony for this reason alone. Although nothing beats the feal of a real book it is somewhat impractical to pack 10-15 books along for a longer cruise and I have bit the bullet and gone to a Kobo. One book or 100 it still weighs but a few ounces and takes up far less space than the real thing.

I am an avid reader and it is not uncommon for me to read a few books while on a cruise! The kindle or nook is much more convenient because you can bring so many books in such a small package! I wouldn't worry about leaving it by the pool. Wrap it up in a sarong and put it where it won't get wet or too much sun and it will be fine! Happy reading!

When B&N had a sale recently, I bought a Nook Simple Touch just for cruising. It holds 1,000 books and more. For $79 you got the nook and a $20 B&N gift card. What a deal! The Simple Touch is light weight, easy to use, i can sideload any books or pdf files i need, and at that price, I won't worry if it walks. My books and knitting patterns are backed up on my computer, just in case.

I made a home screen with my contact information including cabin number in case the reader is lost. This is a good thing to do for any device.

Turns out I found it easier to read using the simple touch than my iPad or nook color. They are staying home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 4 months later...