Donkeys to Oia

nenasmum

Please let your daughter ride the donkeys! It is one of the highlights of Med cruises for me.

I ride them up and down but I prefer the ride up because the donkeys take their time and I can enjoy the beautiful view. I have to hang on tight on the way down!

Going up on the donkeys at Fira is OK as they do not get up too much speed, but coming down they positively run and trips down are not for the faint hearted .

Also beware when they have a surfeit of spare donkeys up the top they just tether them in a single file and despatch them down on auto pilot, again a bit hairy when you are a pedestrian dodging the flyblown donkey landmines on the steps, and you look up to see 12 charging donkeys heading your way at full speed. Ah ............. the fun of magical Santorini .

We are thinking about catching the boat from Fira to Oia but my daughter is mad keen to try the donkeys. Are there donkeys going up from the port for Oia to Oia itself as there are with Fira? Jennie

I have heard that the aroma of donkey stays with you all day if you ride the donkeys up in the morning. So be prepared for an aromatic day!

I have heard that the aroma of donkey stays with you all day if you ride the donkeys up in the morning. So be prepared for an aromatic day!

Yuk, agreed. Personally would not do this in the morning. Actually wouldn't do it at all but I do understand the appeal for some folks. :D

We are thinking about catching the boat from Fira to Oia but my daughter is mad keen to try the donkeys. Are there donkeys going up from the port for Oia to Oia itself as there are with Fira? Jennie

Not sure where some people get their information from, but there IS a donkey trail from Ammoudi port (which is the name of the pier below Oia) to the top of the cliff where Oia is perched upon. And it was operational when we went (in July 2013). I would recommend riding donkeys up (as opposed to down), my son and hubby did so and enjoyed it a lot. Good luck!

Here is a photo of the trail, it's the zig zag in red stone, if you can see it. Still trying to upload the photo, please bear with me, lol

Not sure where some people get their information from, but there IS a donkey trail from Ammoudi port (which is the name of the pier below Oia) to the top of the cliff where Oia is perched upon. And it was operational when we went (in July 2013). I would recommend riding donkeys up (as opposed to down), my son and hubby did so and enjoyed it a lot. Good luck!

Here is a photo of the trail, it's the zig zag in red stone, if you can see it. Still trying to upload the photo, please bear with me, lol

Yes, these donky rides at Oia (from Ammoudi port) was also operational when I visited there at the begining of this August.

I didn't ride it but I saw the trail of donkeys coming up the hill ;)

Archived