Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

G'day Cooleries!

Well as usual Vienna waited until the Christmas Market in Rathausplatz was over .... waited until all the traders cleared their stalls out on Christmas day .... and then dumped a load of snow as they clear up the wooden stalls ..... Christmas Atmosphere at it's most elusive ....

http://webcam.anw.at/

We had a late order delivered from Ocado with stuff missing etc so in order to give wifey a bit of Austria I used some of the chicken thighs I had over bought for the tandoori I'm marinating and did some chicken thighs in breadcrumbs sort of schnitzel style. All a bit mucky because I didn't know I was going to do it and it was done at the last minute ....

B47C2C4E-2B22-4B73-9DD7-5D1DBD7F9D96.jpg

I'd also like to pay tribute to the really happy camel who has won Jeff's "selfy of the year ..." award .... :D

1B30CC76-35CC-4B9E-BD6A-CE802A798F16.jpg

.... and because this swan needs to learn to focus his iphone better .... this was in second place ....

52521BDE-99CC-4860-8247-C3E12C9C66FB.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Hi JP+Chris! Great to hear from you ..... good to hear all is well ... :) Don't go into that Pompypoo - they have all the plumbing on the outside! Enjoy your lunch and the next carafe .... Jeff

jpalbny: Hi all... We're in a cozy cafe near Pompidou with a carafe of wine. Waiting for some nice lunch plates! It's been great so far! More later.

Glad to get JP's update and look forward to many more details from your adventures in Paris. Initially' date=' I was not sure when Jeff referred to "Pompypoo", but then I got it figured out. Below is one of my visuals from that famed location in Paris, plus one on the Musee D'Orsay that I personally like a little more for its collection and being a re-cycled old rail station.

Liked Jeff's cute "selfie" pictures. [i']Interesting!! [/i] Plus, the continued good food pictures. More to come from me shortly from visiting in Kansas.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 89,544 views for this posting.

Paris' Pompidou Center or Beaubourg Museum, opened in 1977, has mostly post 1918 art work, plus its unique duct-work and steel framing on outside.:

Dec2014AA11_zps75ca4b2a.jpg

The Musee D'Orsay covers the 1848-1914 period and is especially great for Impressionist art. It is a former railway station and hotel. It has a very good cafe in this museum that allows for doing lunch in this spectacular dining room to break up the visit, re-charge while seeing its great collection.:

Dec2014AA10_zps33098f3a.jpg

you quack me up.

we need labels on some of that food...

morning chilled persons!

hope all is well.

2014 almost fini.

resolutions anyone?

Appreciate this question from our south Florida friend on resolutions. BUT, if you don't make any such wishes, then you do not have to explain why you did not accomplish those goals. Mission Accomplished for me by not doing such resolutions!!

Below are some visuals from visiting on Friday the Dwight Eisenhower museum in Abilene, Kansas. Lots of history there from the 1940's and 1950's.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 190,839 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Nearby to where my wife's brother lives in Kansas is Abilene. That is where former President Dwight Eisenhower grew up, has his museum, was buried in 1969, etc. This center is located in the complex as a part of the home where "Ike" and his brothers grew up. All very successful. One of his brothers, Milton, was president of three universities, including Penn State and Johns Hopkins. Below is the exterior of the that home we toured and an interior view.:

Dec2014AA14_zps73e01070.jpg

Dec2014AA13_zpsea4079e9.jpg

Dec2014AA12_zps91e4edbe.jpg

The museum is packed with two decades, plus, of amazing history, including about the details of World War II and the huge role Eisenhower played as Supreme Allied Commander, doing D-Day, etc. Then, there were the 1950's while Ike was President for eight years. Lots of history during this period that Pulitzer Prize-winning author David Halberstam's book detailed so well. The Cold War, TV, Interstate highways started, space race, etc. Unlike some Presidential museums where there was not that much "real history" to document, this location is filled with so much substance and background from important periods of our nation's and world's background.:

Dec2014AA17_zps64d6594f.jpg

Dec2014AA15_zpscf072619.jpg

Dec2014AA16_zps9feb5616.jpg

Hi Terry,

Sorry to have confused you ... but to be honest ... I hate the Pompypoo Centre with a passion. I feel it is an architectural disgrace. It's what happens when elderly city elders want to leave their mark and wish to appear to be whacky. There isn't a saving grace about that building as it is equally soulless both inside and out and the exterior area is designed to catch the slightest breeze and make it into a whirlpool. Now a night time area where drug dealers congregate and dogs wee.

Just in case JP has some spare time ... and for your next visit .... You posted pictures of Musee d’Orsay, which many people go to for the art! A great passion of mine is 19th C French art, and in our early days I wanted wifey to acquire and share my passion and as a result of my coaxing and telling her all the whacky stories and background of some of the artists and their art, she acquired a love for Monet where many people start. Many people go to Musee d’Orsay to see Monet but most are unaware of The Marmottan-Monet Museum on Rue Louis-Boilly. It is a Paris secret Gem. It houses in fact the largest collection of Monet in the World and seems totally unknown to most visitors. Perhaps because it is so small and intimate and is full with very few visitors, so perhaps there is a reticence to publicise the place.

The Marmottan-Monet Museum

Not too many people go to this museum, which now has the largest collection of Monet art in the world. There are more than 150 pieces of Monet art here. Paul Marmottan had a 19th century townhouse and he had one of the largest collections of Empire style furniture in France. He donated his house and collection to the Académie des Beaux-Arts in the 1930s. The second floor has a lot of impressionist art with many paintings from Berthe Morrisot. Later Michel Monet, Claude’s son, died in a car accident and his will left his collection of his father’s paintings to the museum. The Monets are housed in a modern basement gallery and many of them are very large format, especially the ones with the water lilies. Some of the paintings are very abstract and showed Monet was ahead of his time. There are many benches to rest and admire the large paintings. Since there are few people in this museum, one has time and peace to contemplate all the paintings. The bookstore has many good Monet memorabilia and the posters are very inexpensive. Near the museum is a large and very delightful park.

The secret of this gem, is to arrive first thing before it opens and queue. You must be first. Once you've paid and inside don't follow the arrows but run the opposite way downstairs (rather than up) to the basement where all the largest works are. If there are people from the "far east" with their bleedin' cameras - they will follow you as they always follow whoever is "in front" so be quick and lose them.

This was where I took my wife for her first dose of Monet. I wanted her to have these pictures to herself for a while. I explained to her that Monet was pretty blind when he painted these pictures, and to really appreciate them through his eyes you need to stand way way back (that's why you have to be there alone) and really screw your eyes up. Then everything becomes crystal clear.

Then all is revealed exactly as Monet saw his own paintings as he painted them.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
spelling

Terry,

As you are interested, I though you may be interested to hear that my very small ancient Hampshire village has an link with Dwight.

On a business trip to NY some years ago I was on a bus that had one of those pauses because it was "ahead of time". So, as I was at the front of the bus, I broke the rules and spoke to the driver. He, was a typical NY'er and totally disinterested in me until hearing my Brit accent and asked me where I came from and I told him the name of our small village. To my astonishment, he knew my village really well as he was stationed at Middle Wallop during the war. He told me that one night Dwight made a secret visit to Middle Wallop to visit his people stationed there. He took them to the pub in my village and stayed overnight in the pub. To my surprise, no one seems to know of this visit in my village, I guess it remained a secret. I believe the story as this chap knew my pub and village really well and it seemed so bizarre a story it is probably true.

By the way, please reassure me about the dog.

To me, the expression on his face looks like a dog who knows he is about to become chow at any moment.

:D

Dec2014AA6_zps9a18a6db.jpg

Hi Terry, Sorry to have confused you ... but to be honest ... I hate the Pompypoo Centre with a passion. I feel it is an architectural disgrace. It's what happens when elderly city elders want to leave their mark and wish to appear to be whacky.

A great passion of mine is 19th C French art, and in our early days I wanted wifey to acquire and share my passion. Many people go to Musee d’Orsay to see Monet but most are unaware of The Marmottan-Monet Museum on Rue Louis-Boilly. It is a Paris secret Gem. It houses in fact the largest collection of Monet and seems totally unknown to most visitors.

Appreciate knowing that Jeff is so super smart to love Monet and that great period of Impressionistic art. The "Pompypoo Centre" is not a personal favorite of mine, but I don't have it in the "hate" category.

That "19th C French art" art style and era is a big, big personal favorite of mine, also. Yes, I have visited the Marmottan-Monet Museum and it is a real gem!! Fortunately, it was not too crowded when we visited there in 1998. Below is some more of my photo proof on another Paris museum with very good Monet art. Plus, here is more on Paris art, the d'Orsay, Musée de l'Orangerie, etc.

And, really love the Rodin Museum!! Another great "gem" in Paris.

Enjoyed Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 89,544 views for this posting.

From April 2007, here are my wife and me at the Musée de l'Orangerie with its gallery of impressionist and post-impressionist paintings located in the west corner of the Tuileries Gardens next to the Place de la Concorde in Paris. This museum is most famous for being the permanent home for eight Water Lilies murals by Claude Monet.:

Dec2014AA19_zps44a3e489.jpg

Within the d'Orsay Museum, this dining area is a favorite location to rest, relax and soak up the great atmosphere of this historic location.:

Dec2014AA18_zpsd6941ad8.jpg

For this art period, another personal favorite is the Rodin museum. It has a nice scale in both the interior exhibit area as an old mansion, plus the gardens with the outdoor sculpture. It is at Varenne Metro stop next to Hotel des Invaldes, has third largest private garden in Paris, was originally built in 1730 and Rodin used as his studio from 1908 until his death in 1917.:

Dec2014AA20_zpsdf9b9a8b.jpg

Dec2014AA22_zpsfec19544.jpg

Dec2014AA23_zps3e9ab0d4.jpg

Dec2014AA21_zpsa3ce86bd.jpg

Terry, As you are interested, I though you may be interested to hear that my very small ancient Hampshire village has an link with Dwight. To my astonishment, he knew my village really well as he was stationed at Middle Wallop during the war. He told me that one night Dwight made a secret visit to Middle Wallop to visit his people stationed there. He took them to the pub in my village and stayed overnight in the pub.

By the way, please reassure me about the dog. To me, the expression on his face looks like a dog who knows he is about to become chow at any moment. :D

Great, interesting story on Eisenhower and your village in the UK. Appreciate this sharing.

On the dog??? No worries!!! Here's another, later picture as "evidence". Mallory is age 15, a little slow in movements, but doing just fine, enjoying life.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 166,918 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Yes, here's an update, after-Christmas picture of Mallory. Plus, my wife on right with her sister-in-law, Tilly, and the 92-year-old Kansas family mother, Lady! Family fun during the holidays!!:

Dec2014AA25_zpsfb7a75c5.jpg

Dec2014AA24_zpse4fa3d6f.jpg

Rodin. Is The Thinker really thinking or is he actually contemplating his immediate problem of life without a roll of toilet tissue handy as I have always speculated. Just asking ....:D

Great question, Jeff!!! Don't worry, I won't post any bathroom pictures from Paris, Europe, Kansas and/or Australia.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 25,931 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

:D

The one common common seam throughout my pointless existence is that I am proud to say that I have always been called a disruptive influence.

Rodin, I guess is not telling us either way. I prefer my version.

My wife originally misunderstood me. I asked her to look at Manet, which many people confuse with Monet. I was asking her to look at " A Bar at the Folies-Bergère" which is an image and reflection that is in fact impossible. But she liked Monet instead. I never really got Monet except his paintings of winter and snow he made in his early days a really fine eye for cold light before all that over sized Lilly stuff that young girls and ladies seem to like so much. He was wonderful at slush and snow.

:)

The one common common seam throughout my pointless existence is that I am proud to say that I have always been called a disruptive influence.

My wife originally misunderstood me. I asked her to look at Manet, which many people confuse with Monet. I was asking her to look at " A Bar at the Folies-Bergère" which is an image and reflection that is in fact impossible. But she liked Monet instead. I never really got Monet except his paintings of winter and snow he made in his early days a really fine eye for cold light before all that over sized Lilly stuff that young girls and ladies seem to like so much. He was wonderful at slush and snow.

Not sure if the comments by UK Jeff on "my pointless existence" . . . or . . . "always been called a disruptive influence" are correct. From this side of the Atlantic Ocean, I sense much more being there with Jeff and his skills, talents, smarts. We're enjoying the varied comments, tips and insights.

Yes, Manet versus Monet!! Can get a little confusing, at times. In general, I like most all of the art from this period with most of these varied artists. Below are a few more samples of my eye-candy photos from Paris and nearby on these many famed artists. Great fun to soak up that super greatness in and from France.

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting is now at 45,000 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

As I re-call my art history, this Édouard Manet at the d'Orsay is the super star that create a sensation in the art world. Called "Olympia" it was first exhibited at the 1865 Paris Salon. Her confrontational gaze caused shock and astonishment. The French government acquired the painting in 1890 after a public subscription organized by Claude Monet. Manet lived 1832-1883, was one of the first 19th-century artists to paint modern life and is considered a pivotal figure in the transition from Realism to Impressionism.:

Dec2014AA28_zps6055e722.jpg

Here are two of my views from visiting Giverny, 50 miles northwest of Paris, in early April 1995. It is best known as the location of Claude Monet's garden and home. Monet lived in the house with its famous pink crushed brick façade from 1883 until his death in 1926. The famed pond/bridge is separated by a roadway from the main house and garden area.:

Dec2014AA27_zps38fa8b8a.jpg

Dec2014AA26_zpsb597e175.jpg

Love all of the Vincent van Gogh's at the d'Orsay, plus Pierre-Auguste Renoir, etc. Second is Renoir's "Dance at Le Moulin de la Galette" (Bal du moulin de la Galette) from 1876. Lots of superstar visuals at this great Paris museum.:

Dec2014AA30_zpsb6cb34bf.jpg

Dec2014AA29_zps194d87dd.jpg

Dec2014AA31_zps12bb3fcc.jpg

UKCruiseJeff: I asked her to look at Manet' date=' which many people confuse with Monet. I was asking her to look at [b']"A Bar at the Folies-Bergère"[/b] which is an image and reflection that is in fact impossible.

And don't forget a few other great artists from that period, including some more examples shown below. Like lots of the sculpture options in Paris and at other great locations in Europe, including London. See below!!

Is Jeff correct that this image and reflection are impossible? But, it's "Impressionism"??!!

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 22,438 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

The Little Fourteen-Year-Old Dancer sculpture from around 1881 by Edgar Degas of a young student of the Paris Opera Ballet dance school can be seen at the d'Orsay, plus at other locations around the world.:

Dec2014AA32_zpsde5eecf8.jpg

Yes, some of Claude Monet's works are too large to fit in our living room at home. Will let it stay at the Musée de l'Orangerie in Paris. This is the "Water Lilies - Setting Sun" done 1920–1926.:

Dec2014AA33_zpsaf769289.jpg

England has some great art museums, too. Here is that Édouard Manet superstar called "A Bar at the Folies-Bergère" from 1882 that is located at the Courtauld Gallery, London. We had the chance to visit this gem of a museum in 2006 after doing our first cruise in the Greek Isles and Turkish Coast.:

Dec2014AA34_zps87d3baed.jpg

Came by for a "drool" -- really curious as to what is on the plate. Did you make your own naan? Also, are those samosas or ??? Love to visit this site -- but it makes me very hungry:)

Hi,

Tandoori chicken (marinaded fir a couple of days .... ) and home made naans.

Spicey and lovely .....

Jeff

Terry,

Lovely to see your keen interest in art ... and in particular expressionism ....

I guess it's a particular passion because of the interest in how such a thing could evolve at the time. This was evolved during a period of great conservatism in French art, the leading movement being the polarised opposite if such a thing is possible ..... neoclassicism ie David et al. It was all about the Greeks and God etc. Can you imagine how these artist were received at that time? It must have been like sacrilege ... a profanity against all that was sacred. I believe the first was really Renoir painting at a creek .... and then the others all started painting at the same creek. La Grenouillere by Pierre Auguste Renoir I think was one of the first confident example. I know opinion varies but I think this is considered to be one of the first expressionist paintings ...

1-la-grenouillere-pierre-auguste-renoir.jpg

... and this is the same spot by Monet ... Bain à la Grenouillère.

Claude_Monet_La_Grenouill%C3%A9re.jpg

Can you imagine being there with those people on that day ..... sigh .... I'll do the food and bring the wine ...

I think it was at that very spot on those days and with those two paintings that expressionism was invented. But that it just my own personal invented theory and my many betters will disagree.

Today we take expressionism so much for granted. But can you imagine what it must have been like in Paris then? My favourite of all of them is the least known of them and that's Alfred Sisley. I particularly love his winter paintings.

Alfred Sisley Winter Paintings

It's funny that you keep picking by accident things that touch a personal nerve .... first Ike and my village and now I noticed your Degas Little Dancer.

I worked at a Reading newspaper for a while selling advertising with a chap who with me, started to plan a business together based on an idea I had but using his energy against my considerable ability in laziness. I was better at thinking and he was much better at doing. I left the paper rather quickly and he went on to become very successful with a version of the business we hatched together. He went on to buy one of those dancers and lent it to the Royal Academy. He then sold it and made a pile of cash from it. He still lives in Reading and hasn't really changed at all. He even looks the same. Unlike me.

:)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Terry, Lovely to see your keen interest in art ... and in particular expressionism ....

I guess it's a particular passion because of the interest in how such a thing could evolve at the time. This was evolved during a period of great conservatism in French art, the leading movement being the polarised opposite if such a thing is possible ..... neoclassicism ie David et al. It was all about the Greeks and God etc. Can you imagine how these artist were received at that time? It must have been like sacrilege ... a profanity against all that was sacred.

Today we take expressionism so much for granted. But can you imagine what it must have been like in Paris then? My favourite of all of them is the least known of them and that's Alfred Sisley. I particularly love his winter paintings.

It's funny that you keep picking by accident things that touch a personal nerve .... first Ike and my village and now I noticed your Degas Little Dancer.

YES, Jeff, art and architecture are two of my strongest personal interests. Have seen lots in visiting 22 different countries in Europe, plus places in South America, down under, etc. This also includes multiple times at the top-ranked museums in New York City, Washington, DC, Chicago, Cleveland, etc., etc.

Glad you offered so much more of the history in moving beyond the traditional "classics" and about how totally "RADICAL" was Impressionism at its time in Paris, etc. Glad you mentioned Alfred Sisley. Have seen and super enjoyed many of his fine works at top museums. Plus, also love many fine works by Camille Pissarro and Berthe Morisot, plus Americans Mary Cassatt and Childe Hassam.

Monet and Renoir are two of my personal top, top, best, best. Below is the famed Madame Georges Charpentier with her two children done by Renoir in 1878. It is at key location within the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art. It is fairly large at a size of 60 1/2 x 74 7/8 inches. Below is one of my pictures from a December 2003 visit there at the Met. That museum has a super great collection of art from this wonderful period in history.

And speaking of Degas' Little Dancer, I will be seeing one of those pieces live this afternoon in Columbus. At Ohio State University, they are finishing up a show featuring art owned by Columbus' only local billionaire, Les Wexner, founder and CEO of L Brands that runs Victoria's Secret, Bath & Body, etc. He has one of those Little Dancer art pieces in his collection at his home, plus lots of paintings, sculptures and drawings by Pablo Picasso. This program also has works by Alberto Giacometti, Jean Dubuffet, Willem de Kooning and Susan Rothenberg. Certain of that "newer" stuff does not do much for my eye and brain. Picasso's range and variety are wide. Some of it "floats my boat", while others leave me cold. Sorry, no pictures allowed. Won't be able to post any from this showing today.

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 90,093 views for this posting.

From the NY Met museum website, they note on this painting: "In this commissioned portrait, as Marcel Proust observed, Renoir gave expression to 'the poetry of an elegant home and the beautiful dresses of our time.' In the Japanese-style sitting room of her Parisian townhouse—the décor and chic gown testifying to her stylish taste—Marguerite Charpentier sits beside her son, Paul. At age three, his locks are still uncut and, in keeping with current fashion, he is dressed identically to his sister Georgette, perched on the family dog. The well-connected publisher's wife, who hosted elite literary salons attended by such writers as Flaubert, the Goncourts, and Zola, used her influence to ensure that the painting enjoyed a choice spot at the Salon of 1879.":

Dec2014AA35_zps28615a2a.jpg

Hi all - a few details, thoughts, and pictures from Christmas in Paris. First off, it was a fantastic time and the city was bustling with a great energy. It was so fun to spend the Holiday in a different location! As we found the first time, everyone was so friendly and helpful. I can speak a moderate amount of French but have trouble understanding it when they speak back, but never a problem.

Since we've already visited Paris a few years back, and done all of the major sights then, we had lots of options for leisurely strolling, relaxing lunches, and generally soaking up the ambience rather than our usual MO which is running around like crazy people. Did I say that this was really fun?

We worked Wednesday, then drove to JFK in a nasty rain storm. We found a great parking space at their long-term lot, though, and since we were traveling only with a carryon, we were in the AF lounge at Terminal 1 within 30 minutes of parking. After dinner and wine in the lounge, we had more wine and food on the flight, so we slept well. We arrived at CDG a little after 11AM Christmas Morning. It was a bit of a walk then a train ride to the RER station at CDG, but we were on the train heading for Paris before Noon.

We took the train to CDG-Etoile (Arc de Triomphe) and walked to our hotel which was about 10 minutes away. Easy to find, and they had a room ready for us. After a refreshing shower and change of clothes, we were ready to head out exploring.

We walked from our hotel to Trocadéro Gardens and caught a nice view of the Eiffel Tower. The green grass, fountains going, sunlight, and crowds made us wonder whether it was summer!

Paris%2520for%2520CC-01.jpg

We headed over to the tower and were amazed at the lines. Luckily we hadn't planned on taking the elevator because the lines were insane. The lines for the stairs weren't as bad but it still took 45 minutes of waiting before we could start climbing! The view was pretty cool though; we passed the first floor and headed right to the second floor. This is the ice-skating rink on the first floor, from above:

Paris%2520for%2520CC-02.jpg

Beautiful scenery, and nice lighting. Sacre Coeur, and the Palais Chaillot with La Defense in the background:

Paris%2520for%2520CC-03.jpg

Paris%2520for%2520CC-04.jpg

The glass floor on the first floor is scary! Chris loves that kind of stuff. It makes me queasy.

Paris%2520for%2520CC-05.jpg

Love the intricacies of the structure from up close and personal:

Paris%2520for%2520CC-06.jpg

700 steps after a red-eye flight was a good workout... Time to head home for a bit and plan the rest of the day/evening!

JP and Chris,

Lovely pictures .... looks like you had a great time. A fair distance to go for a few days. :)

Your few words of French puts you in their very good books. They hate the presumption that everyone must speak English and are really stubborn about it. But if you make an attempt at French however poor, they really appreciate it. It is after all courtesy to try if you can.

Pleased you both had a good time ....

Jeff

Hi all - a few details, thoughts, and pictures from Christmas in Paris. First off, it was a fantastic time and the city was bustling with a great energy. It was so fun to spend the Holiday in a different location!

700 steps after a red-eye flight was a good workout... Time to head home for a bit and plan the rest of the day/evening!

Appreciate the super wonderful pictures by JP from Paris, about your Eiffel Tower adventures, etc. Great idea in doing the holiday weekend in one of our top, most favorite cities. Excellent sharing and reporting!! Give us more!! Never get tired of exciting Paris visuals and experiences.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 167,232 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Bonjour Terry!

Let us not in all these things French Impressionism forget American art. I'll say this only once. Edward Hopper .... Nighthawks! ;) I'll be completely honest ... I am besotted with this. I want it. It is so evocative.

nighthawks.jpg

Brits don't know about Edward. You can keep your Jasper Johns and all those others con-Artists ........ EDWARD!

Today ... it may be -5 for some of today but we still can have a Greek Taverna in chez-Jeff.

All welcome! :)

8AE6F09E-51D3-4A81-A8E8-02A850884B67.jpg

31080D35-742E-4BBF-80CB-E8072AE70AB1.jpg

A6C24208-80DE-4860-9845-9F332DF42B18.jpg

Yes, great point by Jeff on some wonderful artists from the USA. To follow-up on our earlier posts with Jeff on art and its great historic periods, below is a little update from visiting the exhibition in Columbus yesterday afternoon. Sorry that I could not take pictures there. All of that copyright legal stuff, etc.!!

The lead-off for entering was the Degas' Little Dancer. Wonderful, especially its history about how that piece shocked the "proper" people at that time in Paris. This exhibition had 15 paintings or drawings by Pablo Picasso, plus three of his sculpture pieces. Wonderful!! Personally, I love the earlier Picasso items much more versus his later, wilder periods. Picasso lived 1881 to 1973. Most of the fourteen items by Jean Dubuffet and two from Willem de Kooning items were a little more "out there" for my personal style/taste. BUT, really got to see and experience a Swiss artist, Alberto Giacometti. Super liked his works, approach!! He had 18 sculptures in this show. His father was a famed Impressionist painter. Had not followed or focused much on this artist and it was nice to gain a better appreciation for his work. He was born in 1901 and died in 1966. There were also four paintings by Susan Rothenberg in this program that featured the art in the 60,000 sq. ft. home that Wexner has NE of Columbus. Rothenberg was born 1945 and all four of her pieces in this show were of horses. Nice, but not as outstanding as with Picasso and Giacometti.

On American artists, more later. Don't forget that George Bellows was born here in Central Ohio. He's done some great work that is featured in many top museums.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 191,114 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From a Bing web image search, here are two visuals to give a little sample for some of the Pablo Picasso art that I was able to see yesterday here in Columbus, Ohio. First, shows the two local owners, Les and Abigail Wexner, in one of the museum display areas doing a preview of this art. At the left is the "Nude in a Black Armchair" (Nu au Fauteuil Noir). It was done in 1932 of his mistress Marie-Thérèse Walter when Picasso lived outside of Paris, in Boisgeloup. Wexner bought this Picasso in 1999 for $45.1 million. Second is his wife looking at more of the Picasso art works in this exhibition. Shown at left is the "Boy in Blue" done in 1905 by Picasso. Wexner made his money from founding Limited Bands that controls Victoria's Secret, Bath & Body, etc.:

Dec2014AA37_zps6e29a289.jpg

Dec2014AA38_zpsc4977f68.jpg

Yes, it's already 2015, in Australia and New Zealand. We super loved our time eleven months ago in both Sydney and Auckland, plus for so many different, excellent locations in these two wonderful countries. Loved the people, sights, history, nature, etc., there so much. Great trip. Below are three of the web visuals from a few hours ago as the new year was welcomed down under.

Happy New Year!!

Enjoyed Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 90,292 views for this posting.

From Sydney’s famed Harbour Bridge as 2015 becomes official down under with their celebrated fireworks show. What a great way to start the new year!!:

Dec2014AA36_zps8a0b947f.jpg

In Auckland, NZ, here is how the 2015 fireworks looked off of their downtown landmark tower:

Dec2014AA39_zpsc11047ef.jpg

This Sydney visual from a few hours ago shows their iconic Opera House in the foreground!:

Dec2014AA40_zps36d51568.jpg

We are Super lucky to live Down Under.

I used to kneel down and kiss the ground when I flew in.

These days the ground is sorta inaccessible but the feeling remains…

I was so tuckered out last night after a big day that I just sorta melted into my chair ( assisted by a nice dry riesling) and slept right through the early fireworks on tv.

2014 went ,and 2015 came as I dreamed of faraway places and sharing my 6* (sic) dining table with a service dog………what next.. service porkers , companion Pythons on the gangway.. where will it all end ???