Drink Package Advice Requested

Tarpeian Rock

We're looking forward so much to our first O cruise in March on Riviera. My wife and I aren't particularly big drinkers -- she might do a beer at lunch, we'd each likely have a cocktail or two before dinner, and no more than 2 glasses of wine each with dinner. In a port-intensive environment we're not likely to be aboard for lunch and therefore that gets self-limiting.

We'd pretty much written-off the drink packages, but: seeing postings that note the size of mixed drinks (small) and their cost (relatively high), and maybe assuming a "light pour" on wine, we're seeking O veterans' advice. Given our "drink profile," would the packages - especially the premium package - make sense for us? Since we haven't seen the O drink menu, hard to know if our modest (?) intake makes the math work. Thanks!

We're looking forward so much to our first O cruise in March on Riviera. My wife and I aren't particularly big drinkers -- she might do a beer at lunch, we'd each likely have a cocktail or two before dinner, and no more than 2 glasses of wine each with dinner. In a port-intensive environment we're not likely to be aboard for lunch and therefore that gets self-limiting.

We'd pretty much written-off the drink packages, but: seeing postings that note the size of mixed drinks (small) and their cost (relatively high), and maybe assuming a "light pour" on wine, we're seeking O veterans' advice. Given our "drink profile," would the packages - especially the premium package - make sense for us? Since we haven't seen the O drink menu, hard to know if our modest (?) intake makes the math work. Thanks!

Even given your light consumption, you will still save money if you buy the Deluxe Beverage Package (not a great deal of money, but you will save money).

I'm restricting my comments here to the Deluxe Package, because the House Select plan does not include service at the bars, and I'm presuming that you would like to have those pre-dinner cocktails in one of the Lounges.

Hi Jim and Stan,

I would like to come to same conclusion as you because we like ' drinking package', it is easy! However, I am not sure if this is a good deal. We had a similar package with Holland cruises this summer at a lower prices than Oceania ( $44.95). We had many drinks, lunch, dinner before dinner etc and it came out more expansive. Could you expand on your conclusion or I you prefer may I email you for details why you say that is good with Oceania. Thank you.

Two drinks before dinner: if Happy Hour then $10, Two glasses of wine $20. 10 day cruise $30x2x10=$600 +18% required tip=$710 Drink package $60x10x2 = $1200 (apparently the price just went up) So that leaves $500 for adj to the estimate, the occasional beer and maybe an additional drink here and there

Without the package you might be inclined to enjoy a beverage on your stateroom balcony from what you brought aboard and perhaps additionally purchase a bottle from the ship's cellar.

OTH if you go top end and drink the Perrier Jouet champagne, cognac, single malt whisky or after-dinner drinks most evenings the package would indeed be a savings. Certainly it would be more convenient and make for a more relaxing vacation not thinking about receipts and bills.

Hi Jim and Stan,

I would like to come to same conclusion as you because we like ' drinking package', it is easy! However, I am not sure if this is a good deal. We had a similar package with Holland cruises this summer at a lower prices than Oceania ( $44.95). We had many drinks, lunch, dinner before dinner etc and it came out more expansive. Could you expand on your conclusion or I you prefer may I email you for details why you say that is good with Oceania. Thank you.

On Oceania, mixed drinks generally cost from eight to twelve dollars apiece, and if one opts for a top shelf liquor, then it creeps up to from ten to fourteen dollars per cocktail. Wine by the glass runs from eight to twelve dollars per.

Factor in the 18% service charge, and you will find that it is very easy to exceed the daily cost of the Deluxe Package, unless one is willing to hold consumption down to three or four carefully chosen drinks per day.

OTH if you go top end and drink the Perrier Jouet champagne, cognac, single malt whisky or after-dinner drinks most evenings the package would indeed be a savings. Certainly it would be more convenient and make for a more relaxing vacation not thinking about receipts and bills.

That's what, IMO, makes the Deluxe Beverage Package worthwhile. I may not drink like a fish on a cruise :eek: but when I do drink, I run towards the top shelf offerings. I prefer quality over quantity but that's my preference.

i agree as well

example :

french champagne 15$ , 2 glasses of wine, for lunch 20 $

a martini in a shaker 12 $, 1 champagne 15 $ and 1 wine 12 $ for dinner

and one special cognac - 25 $

and 18 % on it

despite the increase the package is still ok

however we cannot deny O is maybe one of the most expensive companies with drinks.

Thanks to all. I am conviced now, I understand that on Oceania drinks are expensive and with the package, there is no set limit on the maximum price for each drink. Plus the relax atmosphere and flexibility that the drinking package offers.

Even given your light consumption, you will still save money if you buy the Deluxe Beverage Package (not a great deal of money, but you will save money).

I'm restricting my comments here to the Deluxe Package, because the House Select plan does not include service at the bars, and I'm presuming that you would like to have those pre-dinner cocktails in one of the Lounges.

More help please. We are cruising 10 nights end of this month on Riviera.

Do we have to take package for full 10 nights or can we be selective - that is can we book the package for 9 nightd or can we start the package on day 2 when we have chance to checkout the prices. Many thanks Alan

More help please. We are cruising 10 nights end of this month on Riviera.

Do we have to take package for full 10 nights or can we be selective - that is can we book the package for 9 nightd or can we start the package on day 2 when we have chance to checkout the prices. Many thanks Alan

You may start the package whenever you wish, but once you start it you must purchase it for the remainder of the cruise.

Cenia

You may start the package whenever you wish, but once you start it you must purchase it for the remainder of the cruise.

Cenia

I'm not sure that is true, Cenia. There is certainly a window at the beginning of each cruise when packages may be set up, but I don't believe that one may begin "whenever they wish".

Starting on day six of a ten day cruise, would not fly, for example.

The Original Rule (you and I were both there!) was "All, or nothing at all". Oceania has relaxed that somewhat, but not entirely.

Our best to you and Glen! :D

I'm not sure that is true, Cenia. There is certainly a window at the beginning of each cruise when packages may be set up, but I don't believe that one may begin "whenever they wish".

Starting on day six of a ten day cruise, would not fly, for example.

The Original Rule (you and I were both there!) was "All, or nothing at all". Oceania has relaxed that somewhat, but not entirely.

Our best to you and Glen! :D

Jim,

I do know that the internet package has a finite time in which you can purchase, but I am not aware of the beverage package having such a time frame. The advantage of the beverage package does not begin until you purchase it; i.e. if you wait until day 6 of a 10 day cruise it will only be in effect for day 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 not retroactive to days 1-5.

Of course, you may be correct but I just don't remember there being a time limit.

Cenia

We were on the Regatta last year on a 2 week cruise and purchased the drink plan on day 7 for the rest of the cruise. You can purchase anytime you want to but it has to be from that point to the end of the cruise.

I was under the impression that you had to buy it by day3. :confused:

That was my impression also ... although I haven't paid that much attention since this is not something we would purchase.

Mura

For what it is worth....I am just back today from a 12 day cruise on Marina. In my opinion, the drinks and wine are way over priced because the drinks, even though good high end brands, are a small pour. The wines by the glass are also overpriced for the pour and the quality served. Perrier Jouet is no longer in the package.

The prestige package would solve the liquor problem, but the wine is still not good and I am not a wine snob.:eek:

If drinks are your primary interest, definitely go for the premium package!

as we are small drinkers, relatively. We seldom have wine with lunch but we always have two martinis each (doubles as their martinis are very small) and at least two glasses each at dinner. We feel that the drink package is not only more convenient, but at least breaks even. We don't like to have to run down just to have happy hour.

as we are small drinkers, relatively. We seldom have wine with lunch but we always have two martinis each (doubles as their martinis are very small) and at least two glasses each at dinner. We feel that the drink package is not only more convenient, but at least breaks even. We don't like to have to run down just to have happy hour.

I am glad to see this. We will be on our first Oceania cruise next month and have opted for the package. My husband enjoys a martini or good scotch. I am not thrilled that wine is only by the glass because of the apparent restriction in variety. However I am pleased to avoid the additional 18% gratuity. I think it will work out to our advantage overall.

Archived