Cruising out of NYC and need Hotel/Parking Advice

luckyjtiger

Hi, we live in Florida and normally cruise out of one of the Florida ports which we are very familiar with. However, we decided to sail out of New York in September and we are looking for a hotel near the port that would allow us to leave one car parked for the week since one member of our family is driving in instead of flying. Any advice or help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,:)

Cruising out of New York is nothing like cruising out of Florida. No free parking, no port shuttles, and very expensive hotels and private transportation.

Could you provide more details? What airport are folks flying into? How many people? How many rooms and beds? What is your hotel budget? Is staying in Manhattan a priority?

Assuming you're cruising out of the Manhattan terminal, the nearest hotels to the port that will allow you to leave your car parked are probably the Secaucus hotels, across the river in New Jersey. The Embassy Suites has a park-and-cruise program (for a $75 fee) that allows the car to remain parked and provides one-way guest transport to the port. (You're responsible for getting yourself back to the hotel at the end of the cruise.)

The Hyatt Place nearby (also in Secaucus) reported to me that they often have cruise guests who leave their cars parked on the top level of the neighboring parking garage. Parking is free at this garage. This isn't a formal park-and-cruise program (it's a public garage) but it's apparently commonplace.

There's an easy and frequent bus to Port Authority (route #320) from both of these hotels, from which you can explore the rest of NYC.

For Brooklyn or Cape Liberty, there are a couple of hotels in Staten Island that offer park-and-cruise (at least for Cape Liberty -- and I'm sure you can get a cab to/from the Brooklyn port at a reasonable price, at least if you prebook it)

Cruising out of New York is nothing like cruising out of Florida. No free parking, no port shuttles, and very expensive hotels and private transportation.

Could you provide more details? What airport are folks flying into? How many people? How many rooms and beds? What is your hotel budget? Is staying in Manhattan a priority?

We would prefer to stay in New Jersey at a nice hotel that has a park in fly or park in cruise plan.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

You aren't going to get everything. Embassy Suites in Secaucus has a park/cruise package for the Manhattan Cruiseport, but they are expensive, they don't have an airport shuttle from EWR, and they only give you a ride one way to the port. You have to arrange to get back on your own and the person flying in would have to arrange transportation to the hotel.

I would look at stay123 or buyreservations for Country Inns Elizabeth for your date. The person flying in will be able to get to the hotel on an airport shuttle. You will be able to park for the duration of your cruise. Then you arrange a car service to take you in and out of Manhattan. Airport bus and train are also options.

You aren't going to get everything. Embassy Suites in Secaucus has a park/cruise package for the Manhattan Cruiseport, but they are expensive, they don't have an airport shuttle from EWR, and they only give you a ride one way to the port. You have to arrange to get back on your own and the person flying in would have to arrange transportation to the hotel.

I would look at stay123 or buyreservations for Country Inns Elizabeth for your date. The person flying in will be able to get to the hotel on an airport shuttle. You will be able to park for the duration of your cruise. Then you arrange a car service to take you in and out of Manhattan. Airport bus and train are also options.

I appreciate your quick reply. My sister thinks she wants to now drive and park at the cruise port using the Holland Tunnel. What do you recommend? Thanks, Jamie

So is this new scenario the same except for the car parking? You are still flying in and need to get to the hotel via an airport shuttle? That pretty much restricts you to the EWR hotels unless you are going to pay for transportation outside the area. The hotel recommendation stays the same. Country Inns is fine as is the Elizabeth Courtyard and Residence Inn. They are all on Glimcher Realty Way and an easy on easy off from the NJ Turnpike.

Take the Lincoln Tunnel.

So is this new scenario the same except for the car parking? You are still flying in and need to get to the hotel via an airport shuttle? That pretty much restricts you to the EWR hotels unless you are going to pay for transportation outside the area. The hotel recommendation stays the same. Country Inns is fine as is the Elizabeth Courtyard and Residence Inn. They are all on Glimcher Realty Way and an easy on easy off from the NJ Turnpike.

Take the Lincoln Tunnel.

My sister wants me to fly from Orlando, FL to her home in Charlotte, NC and then proceed to my parents home in Union Grove, NC (driving) to stay for the night and pick up my mother who is taking the cruise with us. Then we will drive to Willow Grove, PA to visit family. We plan on leaving Willow Grove, PA which is approximately 1 hr. and 45 minutes from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal Saturday morning at 7:30 - 8:00 am to drive to the Terminal and park our vehicle at the terminal.

Will this plan work since they would like to extend our vacation on the way back by visiting Lancaster PA, and family in VA?

Is the Terminal Parking easy to find? How bad is the traffic on a Saturday morning?

Thanks for your assistance, Jamie

Ok - so that's a radical change in your plans. I don't see any problem driving from Willow Grove to the Manhattan terminal on a Saturday morning. Traffic should be fine, but I would use the Lincoln Tunnel. You can listen to 1010 or 880 on the radio for the current traffic report.

I will leave it up to the New Yorkers to provide the details about the Cruiseport parking.

Ok - so that's a radical change in your plans. I don't see any problem driving from Willow Grove to the Manhattan terminal on a Saturday morning. Traffic should be fine, but I would use the Lincoln Tunnel. You can listen to 1010 or 880 on the radio for the current traffic report.

I will leave it up to the New Yorkers to provide the details about the Cruiseport parking.

I really appreciate all of your advice.

Thank you,

Jamie:)

Driving to the NY port is pretty easy. There is good signage.

Double your estimated travel time, just in case.

On any given day the only way to determine the best way to get into Manhatten is shadow traffic. The two best NYC traffic reports will be found on AM radio: 880 0r 1010 wins; they broadcast traffic on the 8's & 10's respectively. The best NJ traffic will be found on NJ 1010.5 FM

We usually take the GWB & come down the west side highway. The Lincoln Tunnel is closest to the pier. The Holland Tunnel would be my 2nd to last choice. Completely convoluted ways through Staten Island or over Tappan Zee would be my last choices.

Coming from Willow Grove, PA,the most direct route to the pier will be via the Lincoln Tunnel. Unless there is a serious traffic problem at both the Lincoln Tunnel and the Holland Tunnel, do not take the GWB, despite what the previous poster says she usually does, as this will take you miles out of your way.

Coming from Willow Grove, PA,the most direct route to the pier will be via the Lincoln Tunnel. Unless there is a serious traffic problem at both the Lincoln Tunnel and the Holland Tunnel, do not take the GWB, despite what the previous poster says she usually does, as this will take you miles out of your way.

I live about 10 miles directly west of the Lincoln tunnel, and car services always take us to the port via the GWB. If we are headed into midtown for the day, we use the tunnel (or Holland for downtown). The bridge just seems quicker. Always listen for traffic reports.

I live about 10 miles directly west of the Lincoln tunnel, and car services always take us to the port via the GWB. If we are headed into midtown for the day, we use the tunnel (or Holland for downtown). The bridge just seems quicker. Always listen for traffic reports.

Someone coming fro,m Willow Grove, PA is coming from south of the LIncoln Tunnel, as I am coming from Central NJ. Why should anyone drive additional miles going north and then reversing it by going south unless traffic dictates it? I can't account what your car service does, nor does it make any sense unless traffic is backed up into the Lincoln Tunnel.

You use the Lincoln or Holland Tunnels when driving into NY for the day, but then you say the bridge seems quicker? I don't get it.

We always stay at the Hilton Garden Inn located in Secaucus,NJ/meadowlands. Its reasonable and you can leave your car free of charge in a secured garage. Transportation to the pier is approx $70. There is also a bus stop out front that takes you to NYC which is about a 15 minute drive.

We are cruising on the NCL Breakaway on Dec 8th. We are coming in from Ontario and considering staying at the Super 8 in N Bergen NJ, parking the car at Port Imperial in the morning and taking the ferry across the Hudson and then walking to Pier 88. Does this plan seem reasonable?? Looking for suggestions....Thanks

We are cruising on the NCL Breakaway on Dec 8th. We are coming in from Ontario and considering staying at the Super 8 in N Bergen NJ, parking the car at Port Imperial in the morning and taking the ferry across the Hudson and then walking to Pier 88. Does this plan seem reasonable?? Looking for suggestions....Thanks

It wouldn't be my choice of hotel. Pretty much anything in the NY City metropolitan area that is part of a low-end motel chain like Super 8 or Red Roof Inns or Motel 6 wouldn't be on my radar.

This hotel is right on a busy, noisy highway, hard to find your way into and out of ,and if you read the reviews on some websites you'll find multiple complaints about inadequate parking facilities at this establishment.

You might want to check out the hotels in Secaucus, NJ, a more attractive location with shopping, restaurants, etc., and see what's in your price range. It's a short drive from Secaucus to Port Imperial, where you can park your car and take the ferry to NY.

Archived