Alternative Take on Dress Codes

Yes! Usually in the piece I put in the overheads. Not divulging how or what I use to so.

How do you get alcohol on a plane in your carry on? I suppose you could divide it into 3 3 oz bottles. An X-ray proof shield above a false bottom?

Certainly not Rumrunners, or Ziploc bags. Only thing I can think of is having a relative working the scanner.

I can understand your not wanting to share your secret, but I sure hope none of the bad guys know it.

Obviously, you don't understand the concept of a formal occasion. It's a social thing. If all you care about is yourself, then you are right - it doesn't matter what anyone else is doing.

Still didn't answer my question - what would be missed? Instead, you hypocritically hurled an insult.

I think what mcd is trying to convey is that if you have a special event, that date holds more importance than some arbitrary date that rotates randomly according to the CD's mood. It's not that he simply cannot understand the concept of a formal occasion.

I believe mcd's contention is analogous to the argument that all couples should do something romantic on Valentine's Day. I personally don't take heed to it, and I instead surprise my gf "just because" on several dates throughout the year. She actually scoffs at the fact most men need to be told to be romantic on a specific date, whereas others will do it on the regular.

He knew exactly what I was conveying. But since he really didn't have an answer for it, he went for a potshot.

Still didn't answer my question - what would be missed? Instead, you hypocritically hurled an insult.

He knew exactly what I was conveying. But since he really didn't have an answer for it, he went for a potshot.

I told you, but you didn't understand, which is why I said that you obviously don't understand the concept. It is not necessarily an insult; just a comment. Dressing up just because you want to is not quite the same as going to a dress-up occasion, where all (or most) of the people are also dressed up. You don't seem to get that. Or you do and you're being disingenuous - one or the other.

I think what mcd is trying to convey is that if you have a special event, that date holds more importance than some arbitrary date that rotates randomly according to the CD's mood. It's not that he simply cannot understand the concept of a formal occasion.

I believe mcd's contention is analogous to the argument that all couples should do something romantic on Valentine's Day. I personally don't take heed to it, and I instead surprise my gf "just because" on several dates throughout the year. She actually scoffs at the fact most men need to be told to be romantic on a specific date, whereas others will do it on the regular.

Of course, you can dress up any day that you want, and you can surprise your gf "just because." But a dress-up occasion (or a Valentine's Ball) is not just a way to tell people they need to do something on a specific date. It is a social event. If you're not into that kind of social event, that is fine, but it doesn't have to be your thing to understand why someone else might miss it.

That was the point I was trying to make, and mcd's only response is to call it an insult and a pot-shot, that I suggested he didn't seem to understand. :rolleyes:

I told you, but you didn't understand, which is why I said that you obviously don't understand the concept. It is not necessarily an insult; just a comment. Dressing up just because you want to is not quite the same as going to a dress-up occasion, where all (or most) of the people are also dressed up. You don't seem to get that. Or you do and you're being disingenuous - one or the other.

Exactly. Not too difficult to understand, unless you don't want to.

OMG....you poor misguided souls. :D My 2 cents worth.....

Do you really think the the cruise lines care what you wear.....anywhere on the ship?

I'll get set afire, but yes, I'm an old guy who has been cruising since the 80's. I think the first cruise was with my whole family, a reunion of sorts, on the Skyward (NCL). It was soooo big....400 passengers!! Yup, smaller ships, less people, BUT better service, and food!! It was exquisite....first class!

I don't remember the cost, but do remember we all saved for an awfully long time to afford our special week. We were hard working people, raising families. My kids weren't even teens yet, but they dressed in their finest for dinner every night....and enjoyed doing so. Everybody was dressed up in the MDR, and looked great.

The food WAS much better then. The dining room staff treated the kids (and us) like we were special.......and, we were......we were living way over our heads for a whole week. It was nice being treated like that. We were eating food that we didn't eat at home.....things that had names we had never heard of.....a 5 star meal every evening....breakfast, and lunch too, if desired, along with a midnight buffet!! Somebody was catering to our every wish....making us part of a special group......cruisers!

As the years passed, the ships got bigger....more people, less attention, food quality diminished. The cycle will continue.....and the bottom line for the cruise line increases.....that's what is important to them......don't be conned by any other explanation. You are just a source of income.....just not as special anymore, because there are so many of us now....and we have accepted it.

Lower your expectations, and enjoy today's cruise for what it is, what it has become......

The food isn't as good, but the ships are great in themselves. The entertainment is still pretty good, and I'm still happy with a pot of coffee, and room service on the balcony in the morning.....if that goes, so will I.

How do you get alcohol on a plane in your carry on? I suppose you could divide it into 3 3 oz bottles. An X-ray proof shield above a false bottom?

Certainly not Rumrunners, or Ziploc bags. Only thing I can think of is having a relative working the scanner.

I can understand your not wanting to share your secret, but I sure hope none of the bad guys know it.

No......not even remotely close. Xray shield? False bottom? No and no, again!

Think "hide in plain sight", or repurpose common items you vacation with.

TSA couldn't catch a guy with a bomb in his shoe. They can't catch a cold. That organization is a waste of tax payer money.

(First post - be gentle!)

I don't think it matters what people wear so long as it's generally in line with expectation (ie, Royal Caribbean's simple policy of no bare feet, caps or bathing suits, no shorts at dinner). During non-formal nights, I'm quite happy to wear Jeans and a smart casual short-sleeve shirt and have never felt out of place there.

During the 'recommended' formal nights, I just go with a shirt and tie, and on the rare occasion where we don't really want to dress up we just go to the Windjammer Buffet Restaurant instead out of courtesy for those who are dressing up.

There are different people in the world - some that like to dress up to the nines and some that don't. And it's nothing to do with money - I'd wager a lot of silicon valley millionaires wouldn't dress up on a cruise either!

I've always found the service you receive from the waiting staff in the main dining rooms is more dependent on your attitude towards them rather than what you are wearing. I've had some amazing experiences and exchanges with the waiting staff because I was polite and grateful for their help and they definitely responded positively.

Ultimately I enjoy cruise holidays for the amazing ships and itineraries - I didn't go on holiday to wear a suit every night which is why I chose a cruise line that seems to cater for my preference. I'm sure I would be expected to dress far more formally every night on cruise lines like Cunard, which is why I choose not to cruise with them. Horses for courses I suppose.

(First post - be gentle!)

I don't think it matters what people wear so long as it's generally in line with expectation (ie, Royal Caribbean's simple policy of no bare feet, caps or bathing suits, no shorts at dinner). During non-formal nights, I'm quite happy to wear Jeans and a smart casual short-sleeve shirt and have never felt out of place there.

During the 'recommended' formal nights, I just go with a shirt and tie, and on the rare occasion where we don't really want to dress up we just go to the Windjammer Buffet Restaurant instead out of courtesy for those who are dressing up.

There are different people in the world - some that like to dress up to the nines and some that don't. And it's nothing to do with money - I'd wager a lot of silicon valley millionaires wouldn't dress up on a cruise either!

I've always found the service you receive from the waiting staff in the main dining rooms is more dependent on your attitude towards them rather than what you are wearing. I've had some amazing experiences and exchanges with the waiting staff because I was polite and grateful for their help and they definitely responded positively.

Ultimately I enjoy cruise holidays for the amazing ships and itineraries - I didn't go on holiday to wear a suit every night which is why I chose a cruise line that seems to cater for my preference. I'm sure I would be expected to dress far more formally every night on cruise lines like Cunard, which is why I choose not to cruise with them. Horses for courses I suppose.

IMHO you are correct. There will be others that will agree and disagree too.

After all this is CC, where the motto should be;

"I can't imagine why your standards would differ from mine."

Obviously, you don't understand the concept of a formal occasion. It's a social thing. If all you care about is yourself, then you are right - it doesn't matter what anyone else is doing.

Like.

You have pretty much summed up the entire argument.

There are those that understand this simple statement. There are those that do not understand, nor never will. Then there are those that understand it, but chose to ignore it because they want it their way.

Lower your expectations, and enjoy today's cruise for what it is, what it has become......

The food isn't as good, but the ships are great in themselves. The entertainment is still pretty good, and I'm still happy with a pot of coffee, and room service on the balcony in the morning.....if that goes, so will I.

No need to lower my expectations. RCI is meeting my needs. When they no longer do then I'll look elsewhere.

Maybe the issue is that dinner , which almost all people on the ship partake in and mostly in the MDR, is being used as a "social thing" that a fair amount of people do not care to participate in. Perhaps the cruise lines should invent some other social event for people to play dress up at that doesn't impact those who don't care to play?

I just throw that out as a thought. It does not directly impact me as I don't like the MDR on formal night or any other night for that matter. But there are others who do look forward to their meals in there.

Perhaps the cruise lines should invent some other social event for people to play dress up at that doesn't impact those who don't care to play?

Though I don't particularly care for the wording of your post, I think you are on to something here. Have a "Captain's Party" or some other such thing in one of the lounges and have formal wear mandatory. No one will miss out on food they have already paid for (the MDR), and those who wish to bring out their finest can do so. Everybody wins.

All in all an interesting idea.

Have a "Captain's Party" or some other such thing in one of the lounges and have formal wear mandatory. No one will miss out on food they have already paid for (the MDR), and those who wish to bring out their finest can do so. Everybody wins.

Then of course you will have to have a casual party for the ones that don't wish to dress up. Would the captain be expected to wear shorts to that one?

Just leave things as they are, it works perfectly well for most people, except for just a few disgruntled, argumentative pot stirrers on CC.

Then of course you will have to have a casual party for the ones that don't wish to dress up. Would the captain be expected to wear shorts to that one?

Just leave things as they are, it works perfectly well for most people, except for just a few disgruntled, argumentative pot stirrers on CC.

True. I hadn't thought of that.

some one once posted on Cruise Critic (i don't remember the exact thread), but it was about 3 to 6 months ago..

this was the meat of it:

"if you plan not to follow the dress code---stay home"

go ahead and say it is only suggested, bla, bla, bla.

well i for one totally agreed, and still do, with that thread.

One of the things I'd like to see a cruise line try is a new ship with no dining room. I've often proposed this on the Carnival board specifically because I think Carnival food in the MDR is a notch below Golden Corral. Here's my proposal. A ship that gives you 2 options at dinner time. You can leave your flip flops and shorts on and head to the buffet or you can dress a little nicer and pick a specialty dining room that will charge extra. The cruise should be priced lower due to the savings that are seen due to the elimination of the MDR where a lot less food would be wasted. I see a ship with 6 or 7 specialty dining venues and the area that was reserved for the MDR could be a 3D IMAX theatre that would eliminate those monster TV's on deck, a win-win.

NCL has the right idea with two main diningrooms. One is more formal, where shorts are not allowed. The second one is casual where shorts are allowed. However, I have seen shorts worn in both MDRS.

I do like the idea of the IMAX or movie theater. Gotta have that.

some one once posted on Cruise Critic (i don't remember the exact thread), but it was about 3 to 6 months ago..

this was the meat of it:

I'm sure that if there actually were a dress code on RCL then most would follow it.

this was the meat of it:

Unfortunately for Royal, if people stayed home (or more likely spent their vacation $'s somewhere else) the company's profits would sink faster than the Titanic. From a business point of view Royal needs to entice people to want to follow the dress code, or the suggested dress guidelines, if this is a real issue at all for the company. I suspect it's only a real issue here at CC.

Maybe the issue is that dinner , which almost all people on the ship partake in and mostly in the MDR, is being used as a "social thing" that a fair amount of people do not care to participate in. Perhaps the cruise lines should invent some other social event for people to play dress up at that doesn't impact those who don't care to play?

I just throw that out as a thought. It does not directly impact me as I don't like the MDR on formal night or any other night for that matter. But there are others who do look forward to their meals in there.

Sure. A formal event doesn't necessarily have to be dinner. I was just trying to explain to those who couldn't see the difference between having a formal event and just choosing to wear formal attire without a formal event.

this was the meat of it:

Have you ever heard the CEO of the company put forth such an opinion? I'd rather that the person telling my customers to go elsewhere be the ones to stay home.

Archived