Alternative Take on Dress Codes

I couldn't agree more. As long as a person is nice and pleasent to chat with, and they don't stink to high heaven , Their clothing really does not matter to me.

I thought you were going to agree that Bengals fans are awesome.

Lord knows we've suffered for decades, but any true, hardcore fan that has been there for all the bad times deserves any good times we are slowly seeing.

ETA: I moved to Florida over a decade ago and spent Sunday after Sunday after Sunday being the lone Bengals fan in the sports bar... heckled mercilessly (usually good natured and I don't let sports taunts get to me) week after week. About 5 years ago I got the NFL package (finally had a house where I could get the line of sight needed) and I have friends/family come over every week. My two uncles moved down here for a while and I had some Bengal buddies, but they have since moved away and I'm the lone wolf again. Now they are mostly Fins fans joining me. Good thing I have a spare TV.

Those outfits can stay on the college campus thank you. No need to see that stuff on Royal or, God forbid, Celebrity or HAL.:eek:

The Toronto International Film Festival is showing a restored copy of The Big Chill in honour of its 30th anniversary. In honour if Animal House's 35th, reintroduction of toga parties on cruises sounds appropriate. Hey at least the threads coming out of those cruises will be a lot more interesting than these Dress Code threads.;)

Oh yes , those outfits are best left to the young . *LOL*

Dear God Animal House is 35 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where the heck did the time go ?

It does say that under the "What to Pack" section on the website. Of course, it also says that you will "need" some casual shorts and a couple t-shirts or a cover-up for getting to and from the pool area. So, if you go to and from the pool area, be sure you're dressed appropriate...or else....;)

Otherwise it's double secret probation....;)

It does say that under the "What to Pack" section on the website. Of course, it also says that you will "need" some casual shorts and a couple t-shirts or a cover-up for getting to and from the pool area. So, if you go to and from the pool area, be sure you're dressed appropriate...or else....;)

And make sure you don't use your RCI robe as a cover up outside of your cabin. The fashipn police nixed that many threads ago.

Since you're new to RCCL, you'll see all sorts of different modes of dress on their "formal nite". I saw a few tuxes and gowns, no more than a handful. There were a few more suits and dresses. But, the vast majority were for men, khaki pants and polo/button shirts and women in pants suits. And yes, there were some who were in shorts.

This is exactly what one should expect to see in a cross-section of passengers. Each person has freedom of choice to decide how he or she would like to dress, and everyone should afford each person that right. How boring would life be if we were all mindless lemmings?

Since you're new to RCCL, you'll see all sorts of different modes of dress on their "formal nite". I saw a few tuxes and gowns, no more than a handful. There were a few more suits and dresses. But, the vast majority were for men, khaki pants and polo/button shirts and women in pants suits. And yes, there were some who were in shorts.

I've have never seen a formal night on RCCL where the vast majority of men were in khaki pants nor the vast majority of women in pants suits (I actually see very few pants suits ever).

I would estimate most the ones I've been on average about 15/70/15 for men for tux / suit or "coat & tie" / more casual.

Most of these dress code thread all start the same way. "I tried to do a search but couldn't find the answer".

There's usually at least 2 or three of these threads going at the same time.

If you don't want to go along with the suggested dress, then why come on here to stir up the pot just to get justification or and "ok" from other cruisers to not go along with what is suggested. Sounds like your minds are all made up on what you're going to wear anyway, so why ask?

Ok, I'm putting my soapbox away now.

I have enjoyed this thread for the last week or two. We will be boarding Oasis this Saturday so collectively I ask, "Will it still be active when we come back?" :p

Probably not, but there will be at least 10 more by the time you return. All with the same people commenting the same way. :)

Enjoy your cruise!!

May I ask what your husband does wear for formal night. We would like to do the whole formal thing as we have never cruised before and it just seems to be part of the whole experience. The problem is we are flying and my husband really does not fancy packing a suit due to the weight and creasing problems.

My husband isn't going along on my next cruise (RCCL) - just my sisters and I, so he doesn't have to deal with forma nights!

My husband and I have cruised with another line (Oceania) which doesn't have formal nights - resort casual is required in dining rooms. But no ball caps or sports shoes. (Don't know what they would think of cowboy hats!) He wears khaki pants / slacks, long sleeve dress shirts, dress shoes. Previously he has brought a navy blazer just in case he was feeling chilled. No tie, no suit though. But I think for our Asian trip in March 2014, he will leave the blazer at home. Not worth packing it when there are so many other things to pack - we will be leaving cold Canadian weather, facing brisk temperatures in China and very hot weather in Bangkok.

I guess I am just bemused that so many respondents on CC don't seem to agree with the spirit of the dress code - lots of talk of how far off can individuals veer away from the actual language of RCCL's policy - but most seem to buy into the concept of formal nights. And then there are the others who say that it doesn't matter what others do, I won't let it spoil my holiday. Or I am having too good a time to worry about what other people do.

What astonished me is that on my upcoming 12 night cruise, if he were coming he would have to wear a suit or jacket on four or more evenings!

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

(Source: RCCL What to Pack page - http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do )

I asked my husband about this topic and his only comment - he would wear a suit when he had to but he would be (mildly) annoyed if there were others who didn't go to the bother of squeezing a suit into overcrowded suitcases, since he did. Maybe childish, but.... As I say, he isn't going on my upcoming RCCL cruise (looking forward to a great itinerary with my sisters!)

My husband isn't going along on my next cruise (RCCL) - just my sisters and I, so he doesn't have to deal with forma nights!

My husband and I have cruised with another line (Oceania) which doesn't have formal nights - resort casual is required in dining rooms. But no ball caps or sports shoes. (Don't know what they would think of cowboy hats!) He wears khaki pants / slacks, long sleeve dress shirts, dress shoes. Previously he has brought a navy blazer just in case he was feeling chilled. No tie, no suit though. But I think for our Asian trip in March 2014, he will leave the blazer at home. Not worth packing it when there are so many other things to pack - we will be leaving cold Canadian weather, facing brisk temperatures in China and very hot weather in Bangkok.

I guess I am just bemused that so many respondents on CC don't seem to agree with the spirit of the dress code - lots of talk of how far off can individuals veer away from the actual language of RCCL's policy - but most seem to buy into the concept of formal nights. And then there are the others who say that it doesn't matter what others do, I won't let it spoil my holiday. Or I am having too good a time to worry about what other people do.

What astonished me is that on my upcoming 12 night cruise, if he were coming he would have to wear a suit or jacket on four or more evenings!

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

(Source: RCCL What to Pack page - http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do )

I asked my husband about this topic and his only comment - he would wear a suit when he had to but he would be (mildly) annoyed if there were others who didn't go to the bother of squeezing a suit into overcrowded suitcases, since he did. Maybe childish, but.... As I say, he isn't going on my upcoming RCCL cruise (looking forward to a great itinerary with my sisters!)

Hence the reason why RCL will continue to relax the dress suggestions. There is simply too much revenue to be lost.

It's also interesting that the higher-end cruise lines do not host "formal nights". I guess people that already have money don't have to pretend like they do... :cool:

I would estimate most the ones I've been on average about 15/70/15 for men for tux / suit or "coat & tie" / more casual.

We were on the Jewel last October out of Boston, and the demographic skewed heavily towards people retirement age.

I think the estimate was 30/60/10. I was really surprised at the number of men in tuxes, often with ties and cumberbunds/vests other than standard black. There were two or three gentlemen wearing kilts with dinner jackets.

I have enjoyed this thread for the last week or two. We will be boarding Oasis this Saturday so collectively I ask, "Will it still be active when we come back?" :p

Too bad we're on the same side of this discussion, otherwise we could continue the debate onboard!

Hence the reason why RCL will continue to relax the dress suggestions. There is simply too much revenue to be lost.

It's also interesting that the higher-end cruise lines do not host "formal nights". I guess people that already have money don't have to pretend like they do... :cool:

Or, since they are charging those higher fares up front, they don't need to have "Vanderbilt" nights (to borrow from that earlier post that wrankled some feathers) in order to sell lots of overpriced photos and generate that additional revenue.

Too bad we're on the same side of this discussion, otherwise we could continue the debate onboard!

The best laugh I have had all day. I almost needed to clean my Ipad.

Maybe by Saturday I will change my mind and we can debate at the M&M and roll it into the cabin crawl.:D You know so we don't feel like we are missing out.

See you in a few days, or here later tonight.

Probably not, but there will be at least 10 more by the time you return. All with the same people commenting the same way. :)

Enjoy your cruise!!

You are right, and thanks for the good cruise wishes.

I can't wait to change my BlackBerry status to say "At Sea"

Or, since they are charging those higher fares up front, they don't need to have "Vanderbilt" nights (to borrow from that earlier post that wrankled some feathers) in order to sell lots of overpriced photos and generate that additional revenue.

Hmmm...

Lots of photos being sold proves that they are not overpriced. Simple economics -- supply and demand. If few were being sold, you would have an argument that they were overpriced.

Personally, I hope the cruise lines continue to "generate additional revenue" (and profit!) any way they can, as I do not expect them to become charitable organizations anytime soon. No revenue, no profit, no cruising. They are in business to make money, after all.

We went on a cruise last June and my daughter bought a photo package for $179.00 for a 4 day cruise. The photos that they got were unlimited for that amount. It was her husbands birthday and they have a blended family and it was the first time they all got together at one time. They were in 100 photos that they got for the $179.00 which made the photos cost $1.79 ea. That wasn't a bad deal. I imagine that the cost of the photo package would be determined by the amount of days you were cruising, I don't know.

Hmmm...

Lots of photos being sold proves that they are not overpriced. Simple economics -- supply and demand. If few were being sold, you would have an argument that they were overpriced.

Personally, I hope the cruise lines continue to "generate additional revenue" (and profit!) any way they can, as I do not expect them to become charitable organizations anytime soon. No revenue, no profit, no cruising. They are in business to make money, after all.

Or, as P.T. Barnum is credited to have said, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Just because people buy something doesn't mean it's not overpriced. People pack Disney World and theme park tickets are $100.00 per day, per person. Yeah, that's reasonable. :rolleyes:

Nice try with the logic though.

Things are worth whatever people are willing to pay for them!!

I think the photos are overpriced, but obviously enough people think they are worth it and are buying them for the cruise line to keep the prices where they are.

Archived