power strips & extension cords

I started comparing the specs of the Belkin product with others and found the Tripp-Lite Traveler 100Bt to be a lot better and the price was comparable.

The Belkin's rotatable plug is a plus but the Tripp-Lite has a retractable plug.

We have sometimes brought a power strip and never had issues with it in checked luggage. I haven't reviewed that list in years but just did. I was surprised to see clothing steamers as prohibited. I've brought one on the last 5-6 cruises (and loaned it to my sister for one) and never had an issue w/it. Hmmmmm :rolleyes:

caught my attention too. Not sure I can manage without my travel steamer.

I just want to point out if you're concerned about multiple devices, Oasis had these in the cabins in June (I'm specifically pointing out the multiple outlets on the desk)...

P1040885.JPG

I believe someone posted a picture of these on Allure also.

As far as different voltages, this was available in the bathroom ceiling (near the mirror)...

DSC_0862.JPG

Obviously it's for shavers only, but since we were talking about power, I wanted to mention it.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know what they have on Brillance?

Does RCL provide power strips if you ask at front desk?

Thanks for any info.

Brilliance has 2 US (120V) type and 1 Euro (240V) type outlets at the desk in the stateroom.

Our room attendants the past few cruises have told us surge protector strips are not a problem. Its the older strips that don't protect the guests items that are plugged in...for example docking in port and switching power sources sometimes causes a surge...apparently many guests have filed complaints their items have been damaged when in fact that didn't have power strips with surge protectors. Not sure if this is correct or not but we only use surge protectors.

Re: Brillance, the special needs dept. emailed me this week that the outlets are at the vanity and are 110V which they have been on all the RCL ships. If you need an extension cord it's best to email the special needs dept. and ask for a confirmation. When the cabin steward seemed confused as to my request I produced a copy of my email with my request and RCL response. On the Vision 12/2012 they stated they were running low on the cords. It's best to use their cord, if something should happen it's their responsibility and they cannot blame you or your cord.

It really is not necessary.

Very easy to manage without it...

Maybe for you, but I have two iPhones, an iPad, Digital SLR Camera battery charger, Pebble Watch, Additional camera charged via USB, AA battery charger (for flash on SLR camera), and a Kindle.

So three plugs is most certainly not going to do it for me.

Won't work for me. I need to charge an iPad and it needs the 2.1 amps.

Hmmmm....actually...I have no trouble charging my ASUS Transformer Android tablet with it...it just takes longer.

As others have mentioned...charging with a USB is always slower anyway, so simply taking advantage of the regular AC outlets with a regular device power supply provides the great protection along with faster charging.

In the case of my tablet...starting from 25% power left...it takes 1 hour 34 minutes via USB and only 22 minutes via the regular charger.

Charging via USB is used here only a last resort (like if I forgot my regular tablet charger.

Sorry to hear the iPad has higher power requirements. A bit surprised since my Android tablet gets 10 hours of life just like the iPad. Perhaps the battery composition is different.

In any case, lovin' the $10 Belkin unit from Walmart. I've charged a GPS, Canon Camera, and Android tablet all at the same time (and fast) and with the knowledge all the units have power protection.

Does anyone know how the staff takes to a surge protector on explorer of the seas? My husband wants to take his computer and the last thing I want before the cruise is for them to take that from him. This makes me nervous

Does anyone know how the staff takes to a surge protector on explorer of the seas? My husband wants to take his computer and the last thing I want before the cruise is for them to take that from him. This makes me nervous

I've taken surge protector units on 3 previous cruises without the slightest issue....and used them with my laptop and tablet regularly onboard in the cabin and a few other locations. No problems.

Jut got off Explorer and had the Belkin unit plugged in the entire time, no problems. Same thing on Explorer last April.

Hmmmm....actually...I have no trouble charging my ASUS Transformer Android tablet with it...it just takes longer.
The iPad will not even charge if the output power is not 2.1 amps.

As others have mentioned...charging with a USB is always slower anyway, so simply taking advantage of the regular AC outlets with a regular device power supply provides the great protection along with faster charging.
USB supplies 5 volts to the client device. The only difference is the amps that are also supplied. A wall charger will either supply 1 amp, or in the case of many computer USB ports, .5 amps. OTOH with the iPad you need 2.1 amps to even go into charge mode.
In any case, lovin' the $10 Belkin unit from Walmart. I've charged a GPS, Canon Camera, and Android tablet all at the same time (and fast) and with the knowledge all the units have power protection.
I just purchased two of the higher powered ones from Amazon at 4:30 pm on Friday. The total cost was $43 so it was more expensive than the cheaper ones from Wal-Mart, but since it will save me lots of time over the life of the unit, it is worth it for me. They were just delivered via the USPS on Saturday by 11:30am. I am Prime and they were supposed to be delivered on Wednesday, but love the quicker delivery!

The iPad will not even charge if the output power is not 2.1 amps.

I guess I don't get the whole USB charging thing, and feel sorry for iPad users then if that's requiring spending more money to support it.

My Android tablet charges fine with the $10 unit....and so do 2 phones I have...but I'd only use USB as a last resort....since just plugging in a standard charger into the standard plug on the Belkin charges things up exponentially faster.

For those who insist on USB charging...by all means...go spend 2X to 4X the money on another unit.

For those cruisers who use any devices with a regular charger for a phone, tablet, camera, laptop, etc....save your money and get the $10 Walmart Belkin unit. The surge protection is outstanding and with the rotatable plug, its very useful on any ship.

I completed the Special Needs form for my mother and it stated an extension cord will be provided for her CPAP machine, I was actually completing the form after TA advised RCL that we would have a scooter onboard, it was nice to see they asked about CPAP and offered distilled water and cord if needed. In addition the scooter rental advised I bring an extension cord for charging if more length is needed to reach outlet than the scooter cord provides.

Archived