First post, first cruise

vernb13

Hi everyone! I am planning a first cruise for myself and my husband for our 10 year anniversary in February! Leaving the kids with Mamaw and heading to the Bahamas! Because it is our anniversary and we didn't really have a "honeymoon" should we splurge and get a suite? Husband says "go cheap, interior room" but I want a balcony or something. Opinions from cruise veterans?

I love a balcony but I do admit I sleep better in a interior cabin. Why? no morning light to wake me up. :D It really comes down to how much you want to spend. Look at your budget for your vacation. That will make the decision for you.

Hi everyone! I am planning a first cruise for myself and my husband for our 10 year anniversary in February! Leaving the kids with Mamaw and heading to the Bahamas! Because it is our anniversary and we didn't really have a "honeymoon" should we splurge and get a suite? Husband says "go cheap, interior room" but I want a balcony or something. Opinions from cruise veterans?

Yes, you should splurge for a balcony. It's wonderful to have a private little sanctuary to enjoy the sea air and relax while you're cruising the seas or anchored at port.

Jonathan

I love a balcony but I do admit I sleep better in a interior cabin. Why? no morning light to wake me up. :D It really comes down to how much you want to spend. Look at your budget for your vacation. That will make the decision for you.

See, this is why I can't stand interior cabins...I'm very much an "up with the morning light" kind of person, so all of the darkness throws me off.

My first cruise was an ocean view (the ship didn't have any balconies), my second was in a balcony room and I never looked back, have done balconies ever since. I love sitting on the balcony watching the water. But if you feel that the money would be better spent on specialty restaurants, drinks, shore excursions, etc. a interior cabin might be for you.

I'm a balcony person. Our first cruise celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary and we had room service breakfast on our balcony - which was really special. We also find it gives us a little extra room and we love to sit on the balcony and watch the water go by or read a book.

I'm claustrophobic, so I would never get an interior room. However, a compromise between interior and suite could be either an Ocean view (has a window but no balcony) or a balcony room.

However, if you are the type that uses the room just for sleeping and changing, then an interior might be sufficient and you can spend your money on a special anniversary dinner in the specialty restaurant, excursions, etc.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your first cruise - but be warned - cruising is addictive! :D

I would get an outdoor cabin. It doesn't have to be a balcony. That is a personal choice based on budget and even itinerary.

First start by deciding what itinerary you would like to sail and then see what cruise lines sail there.

Keith

Of course it all depends on your budget. We've been in the lowest level inside cabins all the way to min suites (no full suites :().

After about the first 10 or so cruises, we started getting a balcony, loved it. A few years later went on a short 4 night close to home and decided to go cheap and get an inside. The moment we walked in my husband wanted to take a sledge hammer to the wall to let in some light. We vow never to go without a balcony again.

We have had ocean view cabins, but you really can't see much from the windows. Sometimes the bed is directly under the window, lots of times the windows have obstructed views.

What is a cruise without being able to see and hear the ocean? Sure, you can go up on deck, but then you have to get dressed and can't hang out in your jammies on the balcony with a cup of coffee in the morning :) Or a glass of wine in the evening. Or read a book in the afternoon.

We love hanging out on our balcony!

If you make this a trip of a lifetime-- then splruge and get your balcony.

If you want your DH to see that cruiseing is affordable and you can do it cheaply-- then go do the inside.

MOST first time cruisers will not have time to use the balcony-- they are out and about focusing on EVERYTHING.

A big difference from a suite to an interior. My personal opinion is book a balcony cabin, no need for the suite if you want a balcony.

Choices can depend on many things. "Itinerary" : balconys nice in warm weather area. "Budget": Inside cabins, then obstructed view cabins, and some ships have obstructed view balconies. Suites ARE VERY expensive and probably would not add that much pleasure to your celebration. Maybe best to compromise.

There is a forum for honeymooners here on Cruise Critic. Check it out.

Best Wishes and Good luck on whatever you choose. Let us know how it all works out.

While I prefer a balcony my ultimate decision comes down to price/value. On some ships the cost differential between oceanview and balcony is small enough to make balcony an easy choice. Some ports though (Charleston, SC and Jacksonville, FL come to mind) have smaller ships w/ less balcony cabins so price can be a bit much.

I'd go with at least an oceanview.

I am getting ready to go on my first cruise and we booked a balcony room. I am super happy with the choice! I will tell you though that of you are booking with carnival book it as an "early saver". I wish someone had told me to do that. You can get the price adjusted up until 3 days before you sail. I booked at a "friends and family" rate which was cheaper at the time. Now, although I'm still super excited for the cruise, I'm watching the prices fall and can't do anything about it. So just remember "early saver" if you are booking on carnival... Even if its more expensive at the time of booking, trust me, you'll be happy you did! Enjoy!!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Our first cruise was on a ship with no balconies -- we had an ocean view with windows -- no portholes.

We learned our lesson -- carefully checked ships for balconies although there weren't a lot in the 80's.

We always book a balcony or a verandah -- love being able to get out whenever I want to.

Happy 10th anniversary.

You know your finances and what you can afford. With that said, I love having a balcony and I don't know how I did my first two cruises in an interior. But I get motion sickness so being able to see the movement is very important to my inner ear.

Even without the "romance" factor, there s nothing like having a relaxing cup of coffee and juice in the mornings on the balcony. There is nothing like a glass of wine late at night on your balcony, listening to the ship glide through the water. If you can afford it, treat yourself to a balcony. It brings a smile to my face just knowing that I have my own little piece of peace and serenity on the ship. I love the balcony and think it's worth every dollar.

The good thing is that you haven't cruised yet so you can do an interior. once you book a balcony there's no going back me and my wife try to cruise as often as we can and will NOT go unless we have a balcony. It's not that big or that awesome but what we find is that it allows you to stay in the room and relax while still really enjoying the vacation in an interior room in think I would feel that I always have to be outside on deck.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

AH0Y SHIPMATES

Nobody is telling you anything wrong , but a lot depends on where you are sailing from and how long is your cruise.

I've cruised a bit and found that an outside cabin with full sized window unobstructed view suits me and my wallet best.

First cruise you will spend very little time in your room so a balcony is (to me) not worth the extra money , nor is the suite. Inside cabin is like living in a closet. With the outside cabin, open the curtain when you go to bed and let the rising sun wake you in the AM (about 0630) this time of year. You can see the weather and dress for it if going ashore. Keep reading this thread and you will get good tips to ponder. good luck and Bon Voyage. On a personal note; spend lots. I'm a carnival shares owner. LOL

Well, for us, we have never had an interior cabin. We did start with an ocean view cabin. Then we moved on up to the veranda and, like others, we have never looked back. And, as others have mentioned, you don't have to have a suite as the trend now is to offer more rooms with verandas. No, they are not large but they are more than comfortable for a couple of "honeymooners". Room service breakfast, wine in the evening...reading in the afternoon or napping in the chairs.....great.....and so romantic! In an interior cabin, I think I would feel I was missing too much. I know that a lot of people say that it is just a room and you don't spend very much time there, but I think you would if you enjoyed being there. So for us, it is verandas always. And, you don't have to compete for the best deck chairs or views. Now, as others have said, it is your budget, not mine, but since you asked, this is how we feel. Have a truly life changing trip....we hope you enjoy every minute no matter what you choose.

We always get an ocean view cabin cause my wife gets claustrophobic. We only use our cabin to dress and sleep in, BUT for my next cruise into warmer waters, I want to get a balcony. I think it would be very enjoyable to spend time there, i.e. breakfast or drinks after a hard day touring.

John

Remembering my first cruise, it was an oceanview cabin and I have to say finances depending, at least get an oceanview for some daylight.

If you splash on the fist one, it's harder to go back but there are so many new and exciting things to do on a cruise that you may not spend that much time in the cabin - think do you spend a lot of time in your hotel room when you are in a resort?

We do balconies and suites and although I love some of the perks with a suite I am very happy in a balcony or an oceanview

Archived