travel iron

madfisher

Could anyone please tell me if you are able to have a travel iron in your cabin on the Solstice. I seem to have seen something on this subject before but can't remember where it was.

Thanks,

Michael:eek:

They will be taken and you will not get it back until you get OFF the ship. If you pack it in your luggage, you will go to the knotty room to have them open your case and take it away. Bad person! So, leave it at home.

It happened to me on our last cruise.

Not good.

No suitcase the first night in time for dinner and no help from customer service.

Guy in the room next door suggested I go to security. Got suitcase from security at 11 pm.

Could anyone please tell me if you are able to have a travel iron in your cabin on the Solstice. I seem to have seen something on this subject before but can't remember where it was.

Thanks,

nope. no work arounds, no leeway, no loopholes.

bring Downey Wrinkle Release

That product may not be available outside the US. You can make your own. In a pump top plastic bottle put about 1 ounce (approx 30 ml) of liquid fabric softener. Once on board, add about 7 oz ((around 200 ml) of water. Spray on wrinkles. Pull gently on fabric to further loosen wrinkles. Be sure to test your fabric ahead of time to make sure it won't harm the garment

Thanks,

Sorry to tell you: Absolutely NO travel irons -- ever! Use downy release OR ask your cabin steward to borrow one for a little while and call housekeeping when you are done using it...They will also knock on the door to make sure the iron (and board) are gone.

Sorry to tell you: Absolutely NO travel irons -- ever! Use downy release OR ask your cabin steward to borrow one for a little while and call housekeeping when you are done using it...They will also knock on the door to make sure the iron (and board) are gone.

Celebrity does NOT offer this to any passenger. There are no irons or ironing boards on any of their ships, for lending or anything else. Sorry.

That product may not be available outside the US. You can make your own. In a pump top plastic bottle put about 1 ounce (approx 30 ml) of liquid fabric softener. Once on board, add about 7 oz ((around 200 ml) of water. Spray on wrinkles. Pull gently on fabric to further loosen wrinkles. Be sure to test your fabric ahead of time to make sure it won't harm the garment

This should be put into a handy ideas area. Great idea, thank you.

....A ceramic plate flat iron, intended for hair.

Knowing I cruised, and of the on-board iron rules, when I was trying to pick out a flat iron, my hairdresser pointed out one that had longer & wider plates. She showed me the settings she used for ironing cotton & synthetics. In addition to having bigger plates, it has a more extensive & sensitive temp control.

It certainly doesn't work for everything but does a great job on the front of shirts, and pants creases. Sometimes one person has to hold the fabric taut, while the other slides the gently closed 'jaws' up & down the area.

I am careful to clean any residue from hair products off the hot plates, before putting mine away. I also use a traveling "hot" case made by 'bagallini' (I think it was $10-13?) as a safety measure & to cushion it. (Like a pot holder for it)

To cool it or a curling iron down quickly after using, so it can be packed safely, wrap the plates in a cool wet washcloth or even a dry towel. Hold & release a couple of times. It absorbs the heat.

She did succeed in selling me the better flat iron - it was only $12. more and has certainly come in handy. Plus, we're not ones to get our noses out of joint if we have a few wrinkles - on our clothes or bodies!

....A ceramic plate flat iron, intended for hair.

Knowing I cruised, and of the on-board iron rules, when I was trying to pick out a flat iron, my hairdresser pointed out one that had longer & wider plates. She showed me the settings she used for ironing cotton & synthetics. In addition to having bigger plates, it has a more extensive & sensitive temp control.

It certainly doesn't work for everything but does a great job on the front of shirts, and pants creases. Sometimes one person has to hold the fabric taut, while the other slides the gently closed 'jaws' up & down the area.

I am careful to clean any residue from hair products off the hot plates, before putting mine away. I also use a traveling "hot" case made by 'bagallini' (I think it was $10-13?) as a safety measure & to cushion it. (Like a pot holder for it)

To cool it or a curling iron down quickly after using, so it can be packed safely, wrap the plates in a cool wet washcloth or even a dry towel. Hold & release a couple of times. It absorbs the heat.

She did succeed in selling me the better flat iron - it was only $12. more and has certainly come in handy. Plus, we're not ones to get our noses out of joint if we have a few wrinkles - on our clothes or bodies!

Great idea about using a flat iron! I travel with one of those anyway. I saw someone else had said that putting items in plastic dry cleaner bags also keeps wrinkles to a minimum. Does that really work? I am mostly concerned about my cotton shorts and shirts. Guess I'll iron everything before I take it for sure.

Great idea about using a flat iron! I travel with one of those anyway. I saw someone else had said that putting items in plastic dry cleaner bags also keeps wrinkles to a minimum. Does that really work? I am mostly concerned about my cotton shorts and shirts. Guess I'll iron everything before I take it for sure.

Yes! The plastic bag trick does work! Start saving the bags now or use trash bags :) I too have used my hair flat iron (chi) on clothes :)

and to organize things, we really like the Travel-Pack It folders from Eagle Creek.

I was skeptical about them, so when I spotted some reduced due to a discontinued color (Sierra Trading Post or Amazon?) I tried one. We now have 2, of the two sizes! Things are ironed before they go in and packed very carefully according to instructions on included packing boards. Shirts, skirts, pants, lightweight jackets. On the ship you can leave things in the pack, which keeps them corralled, or put them on hangers.

That is when we use the flat iron, the crease down the front of the shirts, which is no more than the crease you often see from folded shirts from a laundry.

There are numerous You Tubes out there of how to pack the things and the clones from other companies. Also they are found at on-line places like Travel Pro. Shop around & be patient for sales. Now that we are retired, we don't have that many cleaner bags :p:D any more! YiPPEEE!!!

To help minimize wrinkles, I fold each individual piece in tissue paper. You'd be surprised how much it helps. It takes me longer to pack but worth it. I can get a 40 pack of tissue paper at Dollar Tree for $1.00. Then I use the tissue to line the drawers before I put my clothing in them.

I've never had to pack a suit before and that worries me. I've seen some of the videos but I notice they don't use the tissue. I will anyway and I did save the soft bag my computer monitor came in, so will use that for the suit also.

I travel with hanging bags and the dry cleaner bags work really well. You can ask for them from your local dry cleaner. Sometimes they will give them to you and sometimes will charge 25 cents a bag. I leave the bags on the clothes in the closet, which keeps the clothes from wrinkling and makes it possible to actually hang more in the closet. It is worth the money. Never have anything wrinkle. I also use Downy Wrinkle Spray, which works like a charm.

I've tried lots and lots of different packing ideas and a handful of my shirts always come out very wrinkled no matter what I do.

The best solution I've found is to not even think about it when I'm packing and when I'm unpacking I just put the items that are too wrinkled to wear in a pile and send them to the laundry for pressing only service. Saves a lot of time and fuss and the shirts end up looking great since they're freshly pressed.

I've tried lots and lots of different packing ideas and a handful of my shirts always come out very wrinkled no matter what I do.

The best solution I've found is to not even think about it when I'm packing and when I'm unpacking I just put the items that are too wrinkled to wear in a pile and send them to the laundry for pressing only service. Saves a lot of time and fuss and the shirts end up looking great since they're freshly pressed.

I don't bother ironing my husbands shirts that I know will crease badly, like you I just send them to be pressed right away using some of the free CC coupons :)

It begs the question.. Why are Celebrity so anal when it comes to irons? They expect us to be smartly dressed every night, and have 2 or more formal nights per cruise where we really need to dress up.

Do they think clothes iron themselves???

I think they have a little old bean counter sitting in a back room someplace figuring out ways to get more money out of us.:p Let's see, if we don't let them have irons, but have more formal nights, they will have to use the laundry services.:rolleyes: Hmmm We can sell those awful under the deck rooms if we make them special and charge more....:cool:

It begs the question.. Why are Celebrity so anal when it comes to irons? They expect us to be smartly dressed every night, and have 2 or more formal nights per cruise where we really need to dress up.

I truly can understand the irons but I cannot understand the rule regarding steamers. My curling iron gets much hotter than my steamer and my steamer has an auto shut off. :rolleyes: They can't possibly keep up with the number of pax they have with pressing requests. Or, is it because they want the added revenue? :mad:

They should have self-serve laundry with iron and ironing boards in there. It was nice to have that available on Azamara and the fact I could take my steamer on board was wonderful. I spend a lot of time ironing and getting things ready so they'll look nice, especially for dining.

If it wouldn't have been for the itinerary and the cruise tour, I would have gladly booked Azamara again. A big strike against X in my book. Sorry, loyal X cruisers.

There are two possibilities. That they really are a hazard. Or the revenue from pressing services. Some cruise lines have irons in self serve laundry rooms. Unfortunatly Celebrity does not. In any case they have the right to make the rules. So whatever the reason I follow them. Even though I may not think they are a hazard..... I sure would not want to be the one who brought an iron onboard and it turned out it was a hazard...

As far as clothes ironing themselves. My pique knit polos and my wrinkle resistant wool suit, after being hung up a few hours, the wrinkles do disappear. Same with non iron shirts and non iron pants. My other cotton shirts that wrinkle I hang in the bathroom and run the shower hot. The steaming makes them presentable.

Archived