Major changes to RCCL Visa program

bobinfl

I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. I saw some discussions on the thread and it seemed I read you can use discounts from the card and apply them to a cruise where you are using a crown and anchor or balcony discount.

But when I read this:

A Reward Redemption for a Cruise Discount may not be combined with a Reward Redemption for a Cruise Vacation. Discounts are not combinable with promotional coupons and/or other Crown & Anchor Society, Captain’s Club or Le Club Voyage discounts and benefits. Discounts are not applicable on new ships during their first 13 months in operation, also known as, their ‘Inaugural Season”. Discounts may not be used to cover cruise deposits.

I take it mean we can't do that. It's pulled from the terms and conditions. Maybe I misread some of the posts. I wanted to save up for a Quantum cruise in 2015 but it appears I can't use my reward points for that with the 13 month rule. Can you apply reward point OBC towards a ship in their inaugural season (first 13 months)?

Thanks in advance...

I was browsing through the Visa Signature Website: https://usa.visa.com/visasignature/index.jsp

And found this offer!

Receive exclusive savings up to $600

Offer valid 5/1/2013 - 10/31/2013

Make your next Royal Caribbean dream vacation a reality with exclusive savings valued up to $600 when you pay with your Visa® card.

Savings Include:

Up to $200 onboard spending credit.

Passport to Savings coupon book ($300 value).

*Savings of up to $200 per stateroom.

*Free Prepaid gratuities (up to a $326.20 value per couple).

*Complimentary dinner for two in a specialty restaurant.

*Complimentary Spa Treatment.

Bonus:

Book a Suite and receive an embroidered Royal Caribbean logo terrycloth robe.

Book a Balcony and receive a Royal Caribbean logo tote bag.

To redeem this offer, click the Redeem button and enter code RLVSO3 or call Holidays in Motion at 1-800-871-1777 and mention code RLVSO3.

TERMS & CONDITIONS

*Savings & Free Gratuities, Complimentary dinner for two and Complimentary spa treatment offer on select ships and sailing dates of seven nights or longer.

Offer applies to new individual bookings made through Holidays in Motion, Inc. only.

Optional insurance is available and recommended.

Rates vary by date including holiday sailings and blackout dates may be excluded.

Offer good only for voyages of seven nights or longer.

Some restrictions may apply.

Coupon has no cash value.

Offer is capacity controlled and cannot be combined with any other offer or discount.

Offer subject to change, and is based on individual merchant’s terms and conditions.

Void where prohibited or restricted by law.

Offer valid only when you pay with your Visa card.

Any taxes are the sole responsibility of the purchaser.

I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. I saw some discussions on the thread and it seemed I read you can use discounts from the card and apply them to a cruise where you are using a crown and anchor or balcony discount.

But when I read this:

A Reward Redemption for a Cruise Discount may not be combined with a Reward Redemption for a Cruise Vacation. Discounts are not combinable with promotional coupons and/or other Crown & Anchor Society, Captain’s Club or Le Club Voyage discounts and benefits. Discounts are not applicable on new ships during their first 13 months in operation, also known as, their ‘Inaugural Season”. Discounts may not be used to cover cruise deposits.

I take it mean we can't do that. It's pulled from the terms and conditions. Maybe I misread some of the posts. I wanted to save up for a Quantum cruise in 2015 but it appears I can't use my reward points for that with the 13 month rule. Can you apply reward point OBC towards a ship in their inaugural season (first 13 months)?

Thanks in advance...

You can redeem points for OBC and combine that with any benefit from C&A which includes balcony discount or C&A Savings Certificate.

You won't be able to redeem points to use towards a free cruise on Quantum during her first 13 months, but you can redeem points for OBC and use that on Quantum.

You can redeem points for OBC and combine that with any benefit from C&A which includes balcony discount or C&A Savings Certificate.

You won't be able to redeem points to use towards a free cruise on Quantum during her first 13 months, but you can redeem points for OBC and use that on Quantum.

Same goes with the cruise discount? We did that recently...I used my C&A saving certificate along with a cruise discount (15,000 points). We won't be able to do that anymore?

It's nice to nice we can do the OBC though.

Same goes with the cruise discount? We did that recently...I used my C&A saving certificate along with a cruise discount (15,000 points). We won't be able to do that anymore?

It's nice to nice we can do the OBC though.

Sure you can, that has not changed. You can still combine redeeming Visa Points with balcony discount of C&A Savings Certificate.

Sure you can, that has not changed. You can still combine redeeming Visa Points with balcony discount of C&A Savings Certificate.

See that's where I'm confused:

Discounts are not combinable with promotional coupons and/or other Crown & Anchor Society, Captain’s Club or Le Club Voyage discounts and benefits.

This makes it sound like I can't do the cruise discount with the crown and anchor saving certificate or balcony discount. Am I reading it wrong?

Sorry for being a pain...you have been most helpful. That's the part that had me confused this whole time. I have 11,000 banked and I'll save them up if I can use it on a future cruise as a "cruise discount" (minus the Quantum).

See that's where I'm confused:

Discounts are not combinable with promotional coupons and/or other Crown & Anchor Society, Captain’s Club or Le Club Voyage discounts and benefits.

This makes it sound like I can't do the cruise discount with the crown and anchor saving certificate or balcony discount. Am I reading it wrong?

Sorry for being a pain...you have been most helpful. That's the part that had me confused this whole time. I have 11,000 banked and I'll save them up if I can use it on a future cruise as a "cruise discount" (minus the Quantum).

You are not being a pain. And I agree with you that the wording is confusing. You can redeem points for OBC and combine that with a balcony discount or C&A Savings Certificate. I think if you redeem points for $$$ off a cruise or a free companion fare, then you can not have your balcony discount or use a C&A Savings Certificate.

If you ever have any questions just call the Redemption Center,which is actually part of Crown & Anchor, at 1-888-305-4626 and they will be more than happy to help.

Edited by cruisenfever

You are not being a pain. And I agree with you that the wording is confusing.

If you ever have any questions just call the Redemption Center,which is actually part of Crown & Anchor, at 1-888-305-4626 and they will be more than happy to help.

Waiting for a bit of the dust to settle on these program changes and will call them with specific questions. However, you have been a great source of information!!

Waiting for a bit of the dust to settle on these program changes and will call them with specific questions. However, you have been a great source of information!!

Thanks for the kind words, but unfortunately, some of the info I'm getting is not quite right. :o Like you, I'm just waiting until January as we are perfectly happy with our current card.

We have looked into reward cards before...various "major" entertainment destinations as well as cruising.

But we have kept loyal to our credit card that gives back cash rewards (probably not the "BIG" one you are thinking of).

We have been with it forever, and on one of our cruises we cashed out over $2,400.00. We use it for everything and pay off the monthly statement when it comes in.

I think we only had to pay it in two installments one time years ago, and the $29.00 fee bothered me so much that we vowed if we cant afford it we wont buy it.

We accumulate extra points during promotions certain like stores gas.

We watch it grow.

For us it works well, and when we hear about the turmoil of combing this with that, and you cannot do double discounts, we just take the money.

We used to vary our vacations and go to land venues, but, now that we seem to become more and more addicted to cruising.....if the benefit is better we will look into a specific card.......but until that happens, we are staying with our card.

Sea Ya

Edited by Lionesss

You are not being a pain. And I agree with you that the wording is confusing. You can redeem points for OBC and combine that with a balcony discount or C&A Savings Certificate. I think if you redeem points for $$$ off a cruise or a free companion fare, then you can not have your balcony discount or use a C&A Savings Certificate.

Thank you Patti...I see you doing your best to answer everyone else's questions here too. I appreciate all the help! Happy cruising to you!

We have looked into reward cards before...various "major" entertainment destinations as well as cruising.

But we have kept loyal to our credit card that gives back cash rewards (probably not the "BIG" one you are thinking of).

We have been with it forever, and on one of our cruises we cashed out over $2,400.00. We use it for everything and pay off the monthly statement when it comes in.

I think we only had to pay it in two installments one time years ago, and the $29.00 fee bothered me so much that we vowed if we cant afford it we wont buy it.

We accumulate extra points during promotions certain like stores gas.

We watch it grow.

For us it works well, and when we hear about the turmoil of combing this with that, and you cannot do double discounts, we just take the money.

We used to vary our vacations and go to land venues, but, now that we seem to become more and more addicted to cruising.....if the benefit is better we will look into a specific card.......but until that happens, we are staying with our card.

Sea Ya

What % of your purchase do you get back? If its not 2% you should try Capital One and use all your points for travel. With Capital One you get 2% for travel use. If you spend 100,000 you have 2000.00 to spend on your next cruise or any type of travel.

Does anyone know when the new rules are being implemented?

We usually use our points for onboard credit, but we'll never accumulate 25,000 in time for our next cruise.

The date on the new rules is August 2013 on the first page, but I hope they don't implement those new rules. The Royal Caribbean website still has the "old rules" with the 10,000 reward points for $100 onboard credit.

Does anyone know when the new rules are being implemented?

We usually use our points for onboard credit, but we'll never accumulate 25,000 in time for our next cruise.

The date on the new rules is August 2013 on the first page, but I hope they don't implement those new rules. The Royal Caribbean website still has the "old rules" with the 10,000 reward points for $100 onboard credit.

You can call the RCI Redemption Center at 1-888-305-4626.

Redeeming points for OBC has not changed and you can redeem points whenever you want to. You can combine these points with any C&A benefit.

Your points with BofA start to expire 60 months from the first transaction date, so it's first in is first out.

The new program listed on the RCI website has the current Terms & Conditions along with the current Rewards Choices http://www.royalcaribbean.com/dealsandmore/offer/visa.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=3&snav=5 for the Visa Signature that they are promoting. If you have a Visa Platinum Plus, the same T&C and Rewards Choices apply.

Edited by cruisenfever

Does anyone know why Azamara is offering 15,000 bonus points vs 10,000 for the RCI card?

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/special-offers/bank-of-america

One difference would be the $69 annual fee. However the bonus points would make up for it if you met the 10k spend a year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I just signed onto the cruise bible, CC, to read comments about the changes to the rccl VISA.

I have been looking to book a cruise in January and now that I've got my husband to see the rational in booking a balcony over a suite, I thought for the first time, I'd be using my points to get a free 5-7 cruise for 2 and just upgrade the difference to a balcony. I also was looking at Oasis or Allure.

How disappointing to look at the redemption page yesterday and realize I won't be able to do this! Thats irritating that they are now excluding Oasis and Allure from many options.

I should have booked over the summer when I started thinking of it. GRR

My question is regarding a post a few back ...that mentioned a $69 annual fee...this card never had a fee and I am not seeing in the info on line that it now will carry one. Is this correct?

Very disappointed with the new redemptions. We were planning on an Alaska cruise and upgrading to a JS with points. That option seems to be gone. We rarely have cruised peak season so it never made sense to use the inside to OV upgrade. Now if you read the conditions; the practice of applying an inside to OV, to a balcony seems to be specifically prohibited. Based on our cruise preferences I don't see any use of points that is more beneficial than a simple OBC.

Please disagree with me if you see a way to get more than 1% usage?

I'm going to look at the capital one card.

Very disappointed with the new redemptions. We were planning on an Alaska cruise and upgrading to a JS with points. That option seems to be gone. We rarely have cruised peak season so it never made sense to use the inside to OV upgrade. Now if you read the conditions; the practice of applying an inside to OV, to a balcony seems to be specifically prohibited. Based on our cruise preferences I don't see any use of points that is more beneficial than a simple OBC.

Please disagree with me if you see a way to get more than 1% usage?

I'm going to look at the capital one card.

If you use 15,000 for an upgrade from inside to OV the max value is $300 which is 2%. A free companion fare for 25,000 points has a max value of $500, a free 4 night cruise for 2 for 50,000 points has a max value of $1,000 both are also 2%. There are other scenarios like that where you can get 2% value for your points

My question is regarding a post a few back ...that mentioned a $69 annual fee...this card never had a fee and I am not seeing in the info on line that it now will carry one. Is this correct?

The new Visa Signature from RCI does not have any fee attached to it. The Celebrity Visa Signature Card Premium has the annual fee attached to it.

I just received my new Signature card in the mail! We have a cruise booked for May 2014 with a C & A certificate & $100 next cruise OBC. I know that the Visa OBC can be combined with C & A benefits, but will i able to get it with the next cruise OBC??

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app