Partial Canal Transit

We are thinking about a partial transit for the canal next year. I've read a lot of reviews about the excursions after clearing the Gatun locks, but I'm wondering if you elect to pass on the excursions, is the ship pretty quiet for the return trip back to Cristobol. Meaning, I'll get a great vantage point for the return back through the locks? I don't want to miss out on the experience, but it seems the initial trip through is a mob scene, so does the return trip provide good/great viewing opportunities?

We are thinking about a partial transit for the canal next year. I've read a lot of reviews about the excursions after clearing the Gatun locks, but I'm wondering if you elect to pass on the excursions, is the ship pretty quiet for the return trip back to Cristobol. Meaning, I'll get a great vantage point for the return back through the locks? I don't want to miss out on the experience, but it seems the initial trip through is a mob scene, so does the return trip provide good/great viewing opportunities?

We remained on the ship on our Zuiderdam partial transit last year. As we went back through the Gatun locks, we got to stand at the forepeak of the bow without much of a problem. Because of rain starting up, we ended up being the ONLY people out on deck by the time we cleared the final lock. Got some great views!

I would say most stay on the ship and there are very good opportunities to watch the ship go though the locks and down to the Atlantic side.

The return lockage through Gatun Locks and the accompanying sail to Colon is pleasant enough. The ship will be less crowded and the prime viewing spots will certainly be easier to access. The down side (you had the "up" in the morning... sorry old elevator/canal joke... ups and downs;):)) is you are retracing your steps. The Canal is over 50 miles long and you will have only traveled on about 8 miles of it. Granted, on a partial transit cruise you are not going to see the entire Canal, but if you elect to take the tour that goes through the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut you get to see a large portion of the Canal. The Pacific Locks operate the same way all the other locks do, but when you see the operation from a smaller vessel it gives you a completely different perspective. A great comparison on your Panamax ship in the morning and then from your smaller vessel later in the day. I think there is more eye candy on this portion of the Canal.... passing under two impressive bridges along with the passage through Gaillard Cut. The creation of the "Cut," a man made fjord, digging through the continental divide would be a fantastic feat today, let alone a hundred years ago. As you pass through Gaillard Cut just imagine what went on there... over a hundred steam shovels at work, 200 spoil trains daily... and they're still digging! On this excursion you can also see some of the construction for the expansion of the Canal that is on going.

If your passage through Gatun Locks satisfies your Canal thirst, there are some other unique excursions available as well. Perhaps a visit to the Embera Indians, or a tour that takes through the Casco Antiguo and modern Panama City. Panama City is such a contrast to what you will see with Colon and the Atlantic side.

Lots to see, either centered around the Canal or other cultural/historical excursions... Panama gives you an alternative to many of the other Caribbean stops that have the sun, sea and sand. Whatever you final decision is I am sure it will be a great experience!

The partial transit canals is a great introduction to the locks. It is quite mobbed that morning.

Full transits do not give you a chance to take a tour.

So you might consider taking a tour on the partial transit.

We have done a few partial and many full transits.

On some of the partials, many people got off the ship -- but our more recent one in 2010 -- very few people took tours and as a result the ship was loaded with people out on the bow. Can't predict what your cruise will be like.

Full transits do not give you a chance to take a tour.

Sure they do. At least ours did. We traveled on Veendam last year from Valparaiso to NYC and did a full transit. We were docked for a full day until the ship started the transit the next morning. We had time to go to a remote Embera village, as well go to the locks visitors center afterwards and watch a ship going through, as well as visit the museum.

With that said, if someone is doing a partial transit I would recommend that they stay on the ship for the experience.

HAL originally was one of the first cruise lines to offer a full day at the Canal in addition to the transit. However as I looked at their schedule recently it "seemed" to me that they weren't offering this option nearly as much as they had in the past. Just an observation, buy at least the ones I was looking at were just transits without a stop in Panama.

I stayed on going back down and found it twice as fascinating as going up. The perspective is totally different. Going up is sort like wearing a hat with the brim pulled down low. Going down is like being on top of a mountain and seeing everything down below. Particularly the ships in the locks along side of yours, the trams guiding the ships, the infrastructure of the total operation. After all, this is the reason you picked this cruise, not to take a bus ride to Panama City

The Southern Caribbean Sunfarer is a great cruise, one of our all time favorites. We did it on the Rotterdam years ago and have always wanted to do it again and have visited the ports on it other than canal on other cruises because we loved them so much. The So Caribbean is just great and the partial canal transit a unique day and so interesting. Aruba, Curacao (one of our top 2-3 ports of all) and Costa Rica- what's not to like?

What other cruises are you considering if you don't do the Sunfarer?

We did this trip last March, we stayed on the ship, it was anchored awhile in the lake by the yacht club. The club is where the tenders take the people for the tours as that is where all the buses were lined up. I would say at least half got off. Keep in mind this is a VERY hot and humid place and many of the tours are without AC and 6 to 8 hours long, once you start the tour there is no turning back.

The Southern Caribbean Sunfarer is a great cruise, one of our all time favorites. We did it on the Rotterdam years ago and have always wanted to do it again and have visited the ports on it other than canal on other cruises because we loved them so much. The So Caribbean is just great and the partial canal transit a unique day and so interesting. Aruba, Curacao (one of our top 2-3 ports of all) and Costa Rica- what's not to like?

What other cruises are you considering if you don't do the Sunfarer?

We are booked on the Eurodam for Thanksgiving this year and we are starting to plan something for the same timeframe in 2014. So Far the Sunfarer is the leading candidate. I think the 11 day because we'd like to get to Columbia and we have not been to Costa Rica, so new ports to us. We also like Aruba and Curaçao and have been there many times. Part of our problem is being able to get away for an extended period of time as we are not as retired yet. So, the 11 day itinerary is great, and we live 2 hours from FLL making it very easy.

We are booked on the Eurodam for Thanksgiving this year and we are starting to plan something for the same timeframe in 2014. So Far the Sunfarer is the leading candidate. I think the 11 day because we'd like to get to Columbia and we have not been to Costa Rica, so new ports to us. We also like Aruba and Curaçao and have been there many times. Part of our problem is being able to get away for an extended period of time as we are not as retired yet. So, the 11 day itinerary is great, and we live 2 hours from FLL making it very easy.

Sounds perfect to me with the 11th day a plus. The partial canal day was not our #1 reason for taking the Sunfarer, but we both really were so glad we had that experience and thoroughly enjoyed the day. It just is a great itinerary.

... but if you elect to take the tour that goes through the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut you get to see a large portion of the Canal. The Pacific Locks operate the same way all the other locks do, but when you see the operation from a smaller vessel it gives you a completely different perspective. A great comparison on your Panamax ship in the morning and then from your smaller vessel later in the day. I think there is more eye candy on this portion of the Canal.... passing under two impressive bridges along with the passage through Gaillard Cut.

We did the excursion (from Gatun Lake) that goes all the way to the Pacific and BillB48 is

absolutely correct. It was the best experience!

To see the whole canal and the differing perspectives

can't be duplicated even on a full transit on a Panamax ship.

See photos:

LOCK VIEW FROM THE BACK OF THE SHIP:

ENGINESTART.jpg

VIEW FROM THE SMALLER "FERRY BOAT":

INTHELOCK.jpg

ANOTHER VIEW FROM THE FERRY:

YOU CAN TOUCH THE LOCK WALL!

WEATHER322.jpg

CANAL MORNING ON THE ZUIDERDAM:

312canal_7981507fc4_o.jpg

Sure they do. At least ours did.
Our west-bound didn't. The only people who got off were the photographers who took shots looking up at us from various points.

I stayed on going back down and found it twice as fascinating as going up.
I like going down better too!

Archived