Govt taxes and fees

notalandlover

I have always wondered about this charge. Does each county charge the same amount per passenger? Who gets the tax and the fee? How is each one set? Thanks in advance.

it really depends. Each country can set fees for entering (or leaving) the country in the form of fees, levies or taxes. The US actually has quite high fees ($40ish) for entering the country by air, which is why US airports close to the Canadian border have become so popular for Canadians travelling to US destinations

I think it is set by each country, charged to the line, who then passes it on to the passengers. It is unlikely to be the same for each country. I know the Bahamas, Bermuda and Mexico all charge departing air passengers - their own amounts - so it is likely they would also want to squeeze a bit out of every cruise passenger as well.

I have always wondered about this charge. Does each county charge the same amount per passenger? Who gets the tax and the fee? How is each one set? Thanks in advance.

A lot of these fees and taxes pertain to the charges that the ship has to pay for dock space & time , line handlers and other misc charges . Each country & port also charges by the passenger for government services.

It is my understanding that most of the fees and taxes are levied based on the size or capacity of the ship regardless of the number of passengers aboard at any given time. The Alaska tax (if it is still in effect) is an exception to this.

I believe the cruise line can apportion these costs to its passengers in any manner it chooses (per capita, percentage of base fare, etc.). Depending on the occupancy on any given cruise, they might collect slightly more or slightly less from passengers than they actually pay out. That's just the way it goes.

Trying to understand how all this works is about as much fun as deciphering all those taxes on your phone bill! :-)

A lot of these fees and taxes pertain to the charges that the ship has to pay for dock space & time , line handlers and other misc charges . Each country & port also charges by the passenger for government services.

Overall in North America, Alaska cruises seem to have the highest fees and taxes. i also recall a 'one day cruise?' that had higher fees and taxes than the cruise itself.:eek:

john

Good question!!!!!!! And I wish I could get the answer, too. I asked our TA exactly who gets what on these "taxes and fees" and she said, "Hmmmm. I don't know......call the line". I did. They wanted to know my reservation # and the name of the agent I booked the cruise through. I gave them the info, and a couple of days later I got an e-mail that said, "Sorry....we are unable to divulge that information". What's up with that!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Good question!!!!!!! And I wish I could get the answer, too. I asked our TA exactly who gets what on these "taxes and fees" and she said, "Hmmmm. I don't know......call the line". I did. They wanted to know my reservation # and the name of the agent I booked the cruise through. I gave them the info, and a couple of days later I got an e-mail that said, "Sorry....we are unable to divulge that information". What's up with that!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

That's probably because it differs for each port. Not only that, but not all piers in every port are owned by the municipality. For example, here in Key West, we have 3 piers. One is city owned, one is Navy owned, and one is owned by a resort (Westin). I know the fee at the Westin pier is $12 per person. But even then, I have no idea, nor does the cruise line, how much goes to the city in taxes.

Archived