New propulsion problem on Millennium

cruisestitch

An interesting thing....we are, of course, tied up. We seem to have taken the berth of another ship which ended up tendering. Repairs trump all, which is as it should be, but those poor folks can't be real happy with having to tender unexpectedly.

This also seems to be an unexpected opportunity for testing lifeboats. They have been raised and lowered all afternoon.

It ain't looking good for Juneau, folks.

Next decision point seems to be midnight tonight, our newest all aboard time

So it feels like "Groundhog Day"! You know, the movie with Bill Murray where the same day keeps happening over and over again!!

Anyway, I'm at a bar in Ketchikan using their internet and still awaiting word as to what happens next. I would think they would be trying hard to get the ship to Seward to get the next set of cruisers so going back to Vancouver would mean the ship will be out of commission for awhile.

Anyways, we'll hope for the best and see what develops.

Sonny

If the Millennium returned to Seward they would have to cross the Gulf of Alaska, which can be rough at times. If the ship is having any sort of mechanical issues at all, you don't want to be in the Gulf of Alaska.

As long as there aren't safety considerations that would prohibit it, they will do everything in their power to move the ship forward to Seward and not back-track to Vancouver. Logistically, it just makes more sense to get the passengers to their anticipated final port where they already have post-cruise and air arrangements than to take them back to their departure port. Sailing to Seward also allows them to get the next cruise's passengers as planned. Like I said, safety is the first concern, but if that's not a factor I think it's hugely within their best interests as well as the best interests of the passengers to sail to Seward.

I'm sure they're working as fast as possible for a resolution. Given the distance and difficulty of travel to Anchorage/Seward, they don't have long until decisions will have to be made for the next cruise as well as how to finish the current one. In addition to people getting ready to fly to Anchorage, they probably have quite a few people already in Alaska on pre-cruise tours or touring independently.

Just heard we aren't making Juneau either. Skagway wasn't commented on. We will be compensated but details of that will be discussed tomorrow (I figure after they know about skagway)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

;)

my wife is calling it Groundhog Day so we can do the excursions we didn't get to do the first time and get it right.

waiting for info from bridge. Hopefully about 8am local time.

Love your post!! hope the problem is fixed soon!

We get on on friday...my sister and her family are already in Denali...with so many issues with the last cruise and now this one, I cannot imagine we are going to have a smooth sailing...this sucks for so many people...I feel angry at Celebrity that with all these engine problems that they did not truly fix them at the last major dry dock or before...if these "Meripods" were so bad, why didn't Rolls Royce replace them or something...truly I am expecting the worst and am confident that are plans will not go as planned!!

Truly, while this isn't the same trip we had planned, we are having a wonderful trip.

Missed ports happen. Not just for mechanical issues, but due to rough seas, medical emergencies, strikes.

It's still a wonderful floating hotel with delicious food and drink, good entertainment and comfortable beds. And it's getting cheaper by the minute!

We are safe, warm, well-fed and very very blessed.

Please don't come aboard angry. This glass is more than half full, not half empty.

Truly, while this isn't the same trip we had planned, we are having a wonderful trip.

Missed ports happen. Not just for mechanical issues, but due to rough seas, medical emergencies, strikes.

It's still a wonderful floating hotel with delicious food and drink, good entertainment and comfortable beds. And it's getting cheaper by the minute!

We are safe, warm, well-fed and very very blessed.

Please don't come aboard angry. This glass is more than half full, not half empty.

Thank you for this...it does make me feel better!!

The captain just announced that they have still not identified the root cause of the problem. Juneau is cancelled with another update in the morning including information on compensation.

The kids are sad as they were looking forward to whale watching but the food and service are first rate.

The captain just announced that they have still not identified the root cause of the problem. Juneau is cancelled with another update in the morning including information on compensation.

The kids are sad as they were looking forward to whale watching but the food and service are first rate.

Yss I agree. Service and food have been first rate here at Ketchikan's premier resort hotel.

That bump you's'all felt is the standard by which all the pod problems on them there M class ships start.

So let's hope the folks onboard now can fix the MerAzimaid pods and their "Electrical" problem regardless of whether Rolls or Some French firm did or did not make them with the help of some Scandinavians.

(BTW Rolls Royce were the ones that settled $$ with RCL and in the Millions.)

Luck to all.

Some good info here:http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2010/01/articles/worst-cruise-line-in-the-world/royal-caribbean-rolls-royce-settlement-for-65-million-ill-say-i-love-you/

This is one of the most refreshing threads I've seen related to a problem onboard a cruise. Thanks to everyone who has posted "live" and given us updates. No one is complaining or posting negative comments and we can all take a page from your book. I wish everyone safe travels and a wonderful rest of your cruise.

My husband and I, too, are on board Millie in Ketch-again. It's our first cruise experience, and this has not deterred us from planning more on Celebrity. It's quite disappointing to be missing ISP and Juneau and the whales and glaciers, but what can you do? Things could be far worse, and we're still enjoying ourselves. I'm currently in our stateroom resting while hubs is watching music trivia. Our bellies are content with gelato, and our afternoon canapés are already in the room. We've been on and off the ship but don't really feel the need to stay off for long at a time. This morning we got to see the salmon run, and that felt like a bonus to us since we hasn't seen them yesterday. It might sound weird to someone at home, but our only complaint is the daily schedule issues. This morning we just had to hope we were getting to breakfast in time since there were no hours posted, and when we handed in a luggage form to customer relations we got an activity schedule....but then they didn't stick to that one, so our day hasn't been too organized. That said, we're getting wonderful service and our co-cruisers have been lovely. We've had one man complain vehemently to us about the situation, going so far to say that he will sue the line. For the most part everyone is in good spirits. As for wifi, I've seen several local businesses offering it, though some require a small purchase. For those with Verizon, Alaskan ports are "extended 3G" without roaming charges. I had some issues getting connected today, but now there are no issues. Also, Verizon would send free messages to me alerting me if roaming charges if I turned off airplane mode while not in a service area. Not sure if all carriers do this, but it was helpful for me. As I've read on these message boards, any cruise beats a day at work....this one included!!!

The positive thoughts and live updates are so appreciated. Thank you so much.

I still feel sick to my stomach for what will happen next. Am I going to get a call saying my trip has been cancelled? I would almost rather fly there and have the same south bound cruise the last group had with compensation then have it canceled all together. This is the last trip my family can take for at least a year. I can't bare the thought of telling my 5 and 6 year old we aren't going to Alaska.

Sorry to be a downer, but I would be much more freaked out if it weren't for the positive thought and live updates. So I wanted to emphasize how valuable they are and give sincere thanks.

Forcing myself to have happy thoughts and optimism.

My parents are on with you (in case you meet some nice Chicago 70 somethings named Peg and Jack. I'm posting as they don't have smart phones, and now say the earliest they will depart is to board back tonight by midnight. They too, are disappointed as this was a big trip they saved for, and you can't make up for lost days...hopefully you all will have good news tonight for the rest of your trip. I'll keep watching here to help inform my parents, thanks all.

It would be nice if they at least gave you guys some free drinks or wifi for the inconvenience.

Am on current cruise definitely feel your pain but can't imagine next cruise happening unless a miracle fix occurs.

My only concern is getting to Seward for the land portion of my trip. As long as that happens and we are fairly compensated I am fine.

Hope delay in telling us is not that they haven't figured out yet how to move two thousand people off of Ketchikan by other means.

By the way usatoday.com and today's newspaper has an article on our voyage.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

We are not on this particular sailing but will be on the 30th. I just got off the phone with celebrity and was told that there will be no 100% compensation for this cruise, instead they will compensate the tours and excursions in Icy Striat since the ship is going strait to Juneau... Please keep us posted.

Archived