New propulsion problem on Millennium

cruisestitch

For those interested in the technical side of azymuth thrusters, please find attached some info from the manufacturer of the propulsion system on Celebrity Millennium.

Please bear in mind that Millennium was one of the first passenger ships ever to be equipped with the thrusters designed by Rolls Royce, and that since then, improvements have been incoroprated both in the factory delivered thrusters, as on Millennium herself.

http://www.rolls-royce.com/marine/products/propulsors/

I am absolutely certain that the Celebrity Millennium Bridge Crew made the correct assesment and decision to divert hack to the departure airport.

Safety ALWAYS comes first onboard Celebrity vessels.

Best regards,

Despegue

For those interested in the technical side of azymuth thrusters, please find attached some info from the manufacturer of the propulsion system on Celebrity Millennium.

Please bear in mind that Millennium was one of the first passenger ships ever to be equipped with the thrusters designed by Rolls Royce, and that since then, improvements have been incoroprated both in the factory delivered thrusters, as on Millennium herself.

http://www.rolls-royce.com/marine/products/propulsors/

I am absolutely certain that the Celebrity Millennium Bridge Crew made the correct assesment and decision to divert hack to the departure airport.

Safety ALWAYS comes first onboard Celebrity vessels.

Best regards,

Despegue

What's the technical term or description of what happened last week?

It'll be interesting to learn if the replacement part installed last week is the culprit this week or a different part has failed this time around.

"I am absolutely certain that the Celebrity Millennium Bridge Crew made the correct assessment and decision to divert back to the departure airport." (did you mean last port?) wrote Despegue.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is also absolutely certain that one could have learned a fine vocabulary of Greek, English, South Asian (among others) swear words on the Bridge and in the Engine Control room.

Is this the same pod which was repaired in Seward?

Hope the trouble can be located and fixed quickly - and all the pax have patience in their disappointment.

"I am absolutely certain that the Celebrity Millennium Bridge Crew made the correct assessment and decision to divert back to the departure airport." (did you mean last port?) wrote Despegue.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is also absolutely certain that one could have learned a fine vocabulary of Greek, English, South Asian (among others) swear words on the Bridge and in the Engine Control room.

Hope the trouble can be located and fixed quickly - and all the pax have patience in their disappointment.

Hahahaha! Yes, I am absolutely sure of that!

And yes, obviously meant Port...I am clearly suffering from jetlag

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm not sure "repaired" is the correct word. ;)

I look forward to extensive reports on the Alaska board from our new Kechikan experts.

;)

I'm not sure "repaired" is the correct word. ;)

I look forward to extensive reports on the Alaska board from our new Kechikan experts.

my wife is calling it Groundhog Day so we can do the excursions we didn't get to do the first time and get it right.

waiting for info from bridge. Hopefully about 8am local time.

History of Millenium Class vessels: The initial problems were do to Celebrity buying their engines for the Millennium class ships from a French Manufacturer :o. Thus ,Millie was the 1st of the class & the other ships in the class have had similar problems:(

The good news is that we did a b2b2b on Millie for 35 days & had no problems :). Apparently some thing in those engines wears out more frequently & must be checked & changed regularly ,to avoid these engine failure delays;)

We wish all the best to those sailing the Alaska waters on Millennium & may the engine problems get fixed quickly:)

Hi all,

Due to a mechanical problem in one of Celebrity Millennium's two propulsion units, the ship returned to Ketchikan last night. The ship is capable of sailing without the affected unit; however, in an abundance of caution, the Captain decided the safer and more prudent action was to return to port to evaluate of the issue. The safety of our guests and crew is always our highest priority. While in Ketchikan, our technical teams will make a full inspection of the unit, and assess the need for any necessary repairs. Unfortunately, the ship"s scheduled visit to Icy Strait Point today will not be possible. We sincerely apologize for this unexpected change to our guests' vacation, and will share additional updates as soon as they become available.

Hi all,

Due to a mechanical problem in one of Celebrity Millennium's two propulsion units, the ship returned to Ketchikan last night. The ship is capable of sailing without the affected unit; however, in an abundance of caution, the Captain decided the safer and more prudent action was to return to port to evaluate of the issue. The safety of our guests and crew is always our highest priority. While in Ketchikan, our technical teams will make a full inspection of the unit, and assess the need for any necessary repairs. Unfortunately, the ship"s scheduled visit to Icy Strait Point today will not be possible. We sincerely apologize for this unexpected change to our guests' vacation, and will share additional updates as soon as they become available.

Celebrity...thank you for the very timely post and keeping us informed!

BILL

Wonder what future compensation Celebrity will give to these stranded passengers ,for their inconvenience ?

Uneducated guess: If it repairs and moves on today with only missing one port, probably no official compensation. I have heard that Ketchican is not a repair/engineer hub/port, so if they can't get it fixed today it might have to skip over all stops just to make it to Seward. If that happens, I would expect similar offers to the passengers of the lost Southbound cruise.

Please note, uneducated guess.

Nothing new as of 8 am

My thanks to the Hosts for fixing the title of this thread. In my haste I mangled the word Millennium.

The oddest thing is that we have no new Daily Schedule. When are the activities which should keep disgruntled passengers happy and busy? It's very disconcerting, in an odd way, not to know what time and where trivia will be, and Bingo and etc

Cruise stich I agree about the daily news. I half expected a revised one when we got back from the show last nite or at least under the door over nite. And I guess the 8am update isn't happening.... To be honest since I boarded I've been a bit disappointed with the ship compared to almost the Royal Caribbean ships I've been on but that's for a different thread when I'm not typing on a phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

And yes, obviously meant Port...I am clearly suffering from jetlag

Given that Ketchican is not a major port & airport, I didn't know if you meant back tracking to Vancouver or going onward, slowly to Seward. ??? Thanks for clarifying and not jumping all over me.

On our Constellation sailing, we were fortunate to be able to take a bridge and engine room tour. The passages were decorated with elaborate schematics of engines and pods. We were kept moving so I didn't have as much time to study them as I would have liked. I certainly did gain an appreciation of the large, complex body of knowledge which goes into the operation of a modern cruise ship.

I can just imagine all those guys huddled in front of their monitors in the engine rm intently watching them (about 6 or 7 of them?) on the Millie.

------------------------

Thanks for the update cruisestitch. As for bingo, that is probably considered gambling, and not allowed in port.

History of Millenium Class vessels: The initial problems were do to Celebrity buying their engines for the Millennium class ships from a French Manufacturer :o. Thus ,Millie was the 1st of the class & the other ships in the class have had similar problems:(

The good news is that we did a b2b2b on Millie for 35 days & had no problems :). Apparently some thing in those engines wears out more frequently & must be checked & changed regularly ,to avoid these engine failure delays;)

We wish all the best to those sailing the Alaska waters on Millennium & may the engine problems get fixed quickly:)

This is absolutely incorrect.

Please do not start Xenophobic comments if you do not know what you are talking about.

The Azimuth pods are designed and constructed by Rolls Royce, and are called Mermaid pods. Rolls Royce is a British company.

There are currently NO french, nor American manufacturers of Cruise ship pods. You have either ABB/Kvaerner Masa with the Azipod design ( Swiss/ Finnish) or Rolls Royce.

The ship itself is constructed at Chantiers Atlantique in France, a shipyard famous for its quality and the shipyard where also Queen Mary 2 was built, as was the Normandie, SS France ( SS Norway), and many others.

Everyone onboard I've run into seems in good spirits and is taking the whole thing in stride. Even my inlaws who we're traveling with (who tend to be worriers) aren't particularly concerned. A few disappointed to miss a particularly unique whale watching experience, but are understanding.

Working toilets, working internet, espresso machine functional, no shortage of booze, what more can one ask for?

And on casual observation, it's pretty clear that nobody is on the verge of starving to death! :-)

Nothing new as of 8 am

My thanks to the Hosts for fixing the title of this thread. In my haste I mangled the word Millennium.

The oddest thing is that we have no new Daily Schedule. When are the activities which should keep disgruntled passengers happy and busy? It's very disconcerting, in an odd way, not to know what time and where trivia will be, and Bingo and etc

Thanks for the update. No worries on the thread title. I took care of it for you. Please keep us posted when time permits... but above all, have a wonderful Cruise !

Everyone onboard I've run into seems in good spirits and is taking the whole thing in stride. Even my inlaws who we're traveling with (who tend to be worriers) aren't particularly concerned. A few disappointed to miss a particularly unique whale watching experience, but are understanding.

Working toilets, working internet, espresso machine functional, no shortage of booze, what more can one ask for?

And on casual observation, it's pretty clear that nobody is on the verge of starving to death! :-)

Thank you for the update. Enjoy your Cruise !

Archived