Why do you decorate your cabin door?

aideek2000

If a tackily decorated stateroom door is the most offensive thing one will see on a cruise ship, then consider yourself supremely blessed. But then, I drive around town every December to seek out the tackiest Christmas decorations because I try to find beauty and pleasure in everything, especially the joy of others.

Oh, and I hope one day I'm on a ship with margeecruiser, StevenStephen, and Walkenkeg. Y'all strike me as very delightful people. :D

Well, Hi

We are cruising on the Navigator this Sunday. It is the start of Mardi Gras in Galveston. There will be a parade at 11 am from Seawall to the Strand and I hope we get to see it. Needless to say, I will bring door decorations. I have a small-ish bunting/banner, a mask, feathers, beads and garland. I use magnets to attach these to the door. I got all this stuff at a party store for about $10. If they go missing, so what? I will also put up a small white board and our cruise scrapbook page with our picture.

We will be cruising with a bunch of friends, so they can find me for the Wine Party!

Have fun and Let The Good Times Roll, ya'll.

Margee

Guess I'm hoping then that BlueRiband doesnt cruise with me then as I plan on "being tacky". I've already designed up a sign to go on our door, not sure what my group will do if anything. Its gonna have our names as we are known locally, & some clipart/pictures to represent us, all on a 8.5x11 sheet.

Havent decided yet if I'll have vistaprint do it, or just do it myself on mag paper. Considering we simply decorate our 2 story house (not a mobilehome) & we put mailbox covers on our mailbox to match the holidays then I dont consider it tacky to do a simple thing on our cruisedoor.

People are entitled to their opinions, just as I'm entitled to do what I want to our door short of damaging it.

This will be our 5th cruise and we have never decorated our door but have had the cruise line decorate it for a special occasion. I love to see the decorated doors. After reading this thread, I think I will bring along a few of my Rescue/Foster/Adopt/Donate car magnets. Maybe I will find some fellow animal lovers!

I get the sentiment of an 'elegantly appointed ship' but really the halls are long boring places with door after door exactly the same excepting the number. Of course, I can find my cabin but it is just a bit more fun to have it personalized. I had photos of us on a previous trip and some of the birds and cats from home along with a magnetic tangram game. There were many times I would return to the cabin and find people looking at the photos or playing with the game to make some new image.

I guess I should not even mention to some about hanging a pirate flag from the balcony on the Caribbean cruise. You can photo your ship from the shore and point out your cabin easy to friends later. Aarrrrr.....

Later,

M

I don't and think most if the time it looks pretty tacky. (Usually because the ones doing it don't seem to understand subtle and understated.)

All cabins are numbered, so I don't understand why it would be difficult to find your cabin by looking for the number.

It's easy to try to open the wrong cabin door even with numbers because they all look alike.

I will be bringing something to decorate our cabin door for St. Patrick's Day in three weeks. We always decorate our cabin door on Christmas cruises as well. We generally don't decorate it except for holiday cruises.

I wish I had decorated our cabin door on our Carnival cruise a couple of years ago. We had a guy knocking on our door after midnight thinking it was his friend's cabin. Maybe a decoration would have made him realize he had the wrong cabin. It was a horrible feeling to be awakened that late at night since DH's mother was sailing in the cabin next to ours. We thought something had happened to her.

Whatever makes you happy. :)

The only reason I'd be bothered by someone else decorating their door is if we, as their neighbor, were disturbed by people standing in the hallway, perhaps blocking our way and fussing over the door because it was either so wonderful or so awful. :D ;)

We find our cabin just fine by making use of the numbers on every cabin. The are consecutive and it's easy to see how many more doors you need to pass by in order to get to yours. :)

• 1 month later...
Great minds. =) I ordered one for my next cruise already.

Wow! That is a great idea! Such a great idea in fact that I just ordered one for my summer cruise, too. I used Staples.com though. They are having a 50% off sale on signs :-)

Numbers all look alike?

Numbers don't look alike, but they are very easy to get confused.

"Mom and dad are in cabin 1756 and grandpa is in 1765...or err....was it the other way around?" :confused:

Also if you are traveling with a big group it's much easier to find the doors with balloons on them than to remember 50 different cabin numbers.

I'm surprised that some people are so vehemently against a simple door sign. I secretly suspect they lack the creativity to do anything other people would find nice.

I don't find a small sign (5" x 7" or smaller) offensive. The one's which IMHO shouldn't be allowed are the people with a dozen different magnets that cover half the door. I don't see creativity, I see a magnet factory throwing up. One smaller magnet, OK. Most than that, shouldn't be allowed. Completely unnecessary and tacky beyond belief.

Never have, never will. Door decorations degrade an elegantly appointed ship. The only thing worse are balcony signs. These make a ship look like a floating housing tenement where the residents have hung out their laundry over the railing. Double thumbs down.

LOL - maybe I need to try out more ships, but "elegant" is not a word I would use to describe the decor of any one of them. They're all over the top in their own ways.

Those who feel the need to maintain standards, whether it is in the place they live or where they vacation, probably need to come up with the funds to own a single family home and cruise on a private yacht. Communal living is never going to be comfortable for those who want others to conform to their standards.

LOL - maybe I need to try out more ships, but "elegant" is not a word I would use to describe the decor of any one of them. They're all over the top in their own ways.

Those who feel the need to maintain standards, whether it is in the place they live or where they vacation, probably need to come up with the funds to own a single family home and cruise on a private yacht. Communal living is never going to be comfortable for those who want others to conform to their standards.

You definitely need to try out more ships. By the way, there wasn't a single door sign/magnet, decoration on the very elegant Wind Surf on either of our cruises with them, with the exception of a welcome hanger on the knob the first day by the host of our group--they were all taken down by that evening by the occupants.

We did it last year because it was fun and apparently unique on that cruise. We got a ton of positive comments about our door. We got a large tropical scene from the dollar store and cut/taped it to cover our door, then taped a few pix of me and the DW. I can't figure how to post the pic we took on here or I would. We will be doing it again in September.

We did it last year because it was fun and apparently unique on that cruise. We got a ton of positive comments about our door. We got a large tropical scene from the dollar store and cut/taped it to cover our door, then taped a few pix of me and the DW. I can't figure how to post the pic we took on here or I would. We will be doing it again in September.

I'm surprised they allowed you to use tape. Most ships won't allow that as it tends to mar the finish/paint in the doors.

I do when cruising for Halloween, usually dollar store cutouts, held in place by magnets. At home I also use a clothesline to dry laundry, have dryer, but like line dried better, and I can assure you I do not live in anything closely resembling a tenement. At least the neighbors know I wear clean underwear. :cool:

Edited by uncleg
Punctuation

I do when cruising for Halloween, usually dollar store cutouts, held in place by magnets. At home I also use a clothesline to dry laundry, have dryer, but like line dried better, and I can assure you I do not live in anything closely resembling a tenement. At least the neighbors know I wear clean underwear. :cool:

I guess I must have missed something. I admit I haven't re-read the thread from the beginning but what the heck does hanging your laundry up at home have to do with decorating your cabin door?

I guess I must have missed something. I admit I haven't re-read the thread from the beginning but what the heck does hanging your laundry up at home have to do with decorating your cabin door?

Someone mentioned door signs making it look like tenements, were folks hung their clothing out on balconies, very judgmental. I figured they would really think I'm low rent..but I'm not. Just hit a nerve.