Random thoughts from the O penthouse

cruz chic

I have been lurking for months and have learned a lot. thank you.

What are the cheap cabins and how is the service different?

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Don't be afraid to stop lurking and start posting.

Just a few random thoughts. Dinner was good last night. Service was very good except for the wine steward. It makes me nuts when they are standing with a napkin over their arm but will not come over to the table. One of my dining companions filled my wine glass for me.

The horror!

Not necessarily so. Sailed solo on Zaandam in 2012 in a "D" category cabin. Cabin service excellent.

Sailed Neptune Suite in 2013 on Zudiderdam. Cabin service was just so-so. I'm not really impressed the the suites on the Vista ships. Much prefer them on S" class. Just because you pay more for your cabin doesn't mean better service.

We normally travel in OVs, and I can't say we have had oceanview service anywhere CLOSE to the service we have had in a suite. I did have very good cabin stewards for an HH to Alaska one time, but not even close to the service we've gotten in a suite. Good thing we are okay with "okay" service, 'cuz suites are usually out of our reach ;)

Hi Lorene

Loved the title of the thread, soooo casual and offhand, (yes, well, I am in the Penthouse, it's very rough but someone has to do it, ho hum...). :D

Seriously, enjoy it and keep those fingers away from elevators!!

ML

I can't agree that being in a suite means better service. We had our first suite last year and I have to say that our room stewards were at the bottom of our list of "things to remember." Not that they were bad, they cleaned the room and left a towel animal, but that was about it. Nothing special, and nothing compared to stewards on our other cruises. This was the first time we did not tip our room stewards any extra.

I can't agree that being in a suite means better service. We had our first suite last year and I have to say that our room stewards were at the bottom of our list of "things to remember." Not that they were bad, they cleaned the room and left a towel animal, but that was about it. Nothing special, and nothing compared to stewards on our other cruises. This was the first time we did not tip our room stewards any extra.

What extras did your cabin stewards do for you on the other cruise lines?

What extras did your cabin stewards do for you on the other cruise lines?

It wasn't WHAT they did it was HOW they did it. They were friendly, engaging. Went out of their way to greet us and make us feel welcome. And this was just a year before, so just as overworked at last year. One thing I didn't like last year was that they would knock and announce "Housekeeping" as they were opening the door.

Am on this exact cruise in a few weeks and would love to know about your afternoon/evening in Tracy Arms... am a little concerned about the amount of daylight hours this late in the season.

The Oosterdam is one of our favorite ships and it is doubly nice to experience it through the eyes of a penthouse resident!

Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Service seems back to normal today which is good. .
It's a raining, cloudy day today. Was awake at 5:30 today. I wish I'd sleep later.
I walked into town and looked around. Pretty much junk and*
2 years ago cow princess suggested I do the Tracy Rm catamaran. I think she was worried because I'm a hard marker. I was blown away with that trip. Again, she advised me well. I took a whale watching tour today. It was amazing. The weather wasn't great but you know you are seeing something amazing when the captain of the small craft is gasping and taking pics. We saw a baby whale breach and at least 12 to 13 whales.
The service is back to normal here. Very good. I think the food on the O is as good as its been for years. I heard one lady saying the food isn't good. I think it's been stellar.
I filled out one of those pre comment cards about the wine service. I don't want to get people in trouble but what an uproar. The cellar master came to my table to apologize tonight. It's a different world in the penthouse. I get addressed by name all the time. I'd love to have these digs all the time. I'm very happy I got with this upgrade and thankful for cow princess for encouraging me. It's money that I wondered if I should spend because I could lose my job here shortly. If I do I do. This has been the harshest few months I ever remember in the last several years and it's been worth every dime. I came from a family growing up where my parents didn't have 2 nickels to rub together. Some days my life exceeds everything I've ever dreamed about. I've gone to school for years because I never wanted to struggle like my parents did. It's nice to get this little chunk of heaven.
I've been grossed out by some of my fellow pax. I'm a germiphobic and I was getting some ice cream today in the lido. There was a bowl of chocolate chips. Some dude comes along a takes a scoop and puts it in in his hand. Really, that's just nasty.
I sure hope I m not making too many spelling errors here. By this time I've had a few glasses of wine so that*doesn't help
Let me know if you have questions.

[quote name='puli']Am on this exact cruise in a few weeks and would love to know about your afternoon/evening in Tracy Arms... am a little concerned about the amount of daylight hours this late in the season.

The Oosterdam is one of our favorite ships and it is doubly nice to experience it through the eyes of a penthouse resident!

Thanks for sharing!!!!![/QUOTE]

What specifically did you want to know? I would say the sun goes down around 8 ish. Not really sure as it has been cloudy for the last couple days.

[quote name='CowPrincess']We normally travel in OVs, and I can't say we have had oceanview service anywhere CLOSE to the service we have had in a suite. I did have very good cabin stewards for an HH to Alaska one time, but not even close to the service we've gotten in a suite. Good thing we are okay with "okay" service, 'cuz suites are usually out of our reach ;)[/QUOTE]

It's a different world. I've never had this level of attention in my almost 300 days with Hal

[quote name='lorekauf']What specifically did you want to know? I would say the sun goes down around 8 ish. Not really sure as it has been cloudy for the last couple days.[/QUOTE]

I was told in September (when we will be cruising) there will only be 12 hours of sun with it setting a little after 6 . Am hoping that is wrong and that you are correct about it setting @ 8 ish. Then perhaps for us it would not be too dark for most of the return Tracy Arms journey.

[quote name='TiogaCruiser']It's already Wednesday and am sorry to see your special week passing so quickly. Have you yet had ( or do you plan to) have dinner in your suite?[/QUOTE]

It's going too fast. I'd like to but no one likes me;). I've not made any connections on this cruise. I find sometimes you gel with people, sometimes not. I do tend to be a little cold.

[quote name='puli']I was told in September (when we will be cruising) there will only be 12 hours of sun with it setting a little after 6 . Am hoping that is wrong and that you are correct about it setting @ 8 ish. Then perhaps for us it would not be too dark for most of the return Tracy Arms journey.[/QUOTE]

No, I think you'll be ok. I know in Calgary it seems to happen quickly. I was driving to work at 5:55 a few weeks ago with the sun in my eyes. Last week it was dark. It seems like I've lost this summer.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Lorene,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Glad you are having a good cruise and sounds like getting around with your repaired knee seems to be going good. You sound relaxed and enjoying the cruise. Just got on and saw this thread (late) and like someone else said the week is probably going by very fast. Enjoy the rest of the cruise.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Rick & joyce[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived