Fanny pack while in port - advice needed

cruising mickey

Only bring ashore what you will need. I always leave my passport in the safe on the ship.

Will you be going in the water. If so, you will need something waterproof. We do a lot of touring in big cities around the world. I have gotten used to wearing cargo pants. As they say, there are 6 pockets for a pickpocket to guess between.

Wallets are a great target for pickpockets, so I would not consider that at all. I'm not a big fan of fanny packs but they are somewhat safer than a wallet in the pocket. You might also consider something like this, which is not as noticeable.

Wallets are a great target for pickpockets, so I would not consider that at all. I'm not a big fan of fanny packs but they are somewhat safer than a wallet in the pocket. You might also consider something like this, which is not as noticeable.

Great idea....I'll definitely order one.

Thanks;)

Just don't bring anything you don't need ashore! If your fannypack is in the back, it's certainly not secure!

Put wallets in your FRONT pocket...much safer than the rear pocket! If your wallet is too big, clean it out!

In my opinion a fanny pack marks you as both a tourist and not one who is particularly savvy as well. A smart cross body bag is a better choice, and traveling light is the best choice. Use an under clothing money wallet for your ID, credit card, and cash (keeping a small amount in a zippered, deep, or snapped pocket for incidental purchases) and you're all set.

There's an ad I've been hearing on the radio which lists things you should never do, culminating with something related to their business. It's a funny list, like "Never play poker with a guy named Lucky." At one point they say, "Never wear a fanny pack. No really. NEVER wear a fanny pack." :D

I have to agree. They are far from fashionable, aren't secure, and just scream TOURIST!

i love clothes that have safe pockets for travelling, usually snap closed type. I also take only a copy of my passport (I had a shrunk & laminated copy, so it can get wet) and only take 1 c card and limit my cash. lets face it, we are tourists, and we do stand out, try not to be a moving target at the same time. When on a bus trip in Europe, we were told fanny pacs purses and back packs were stolen from bathrooms - people put them on the floor, and others scoop and run & catch you with your pantsdown, and not able to run after them.

i love clothes that have safe pockets for travelling, usually snap closed type. I also take only a copy of my passport (I had a shrunk & laminated copy, so it can get wet) and only take 1 c card and limit my cash. lets face it, we are tourists, and we do stand out, try not to be a moving target at the same time. When on a bus trip in Europe, we were told fanny pacs purses and back packs were stolen from bathrooms - people put them on the floor, and others scoop and run & catch you with your pantsdown, and not able to run after them.

That happens in the US as well. I NEVER put my bag on a filthy bathroom floor. I just keep it on my person while using the rest room.

Great idea....I'll definitely order one.

Thanks;)

That Rick Steve's hidden waist wallet is what I also use for money and id and ship card.

I never take my passport ashore. I leave it in the cabin's safe.

My husband wears a shirt with flapover button pockets and carries his wallet and ship card in one of those shirt pockets, nothing but Kleenex in his pants pocket.

Edited by NMLady

I had a wallet stolen from a (front worn) fanny pack in the early 90's while walking in Tijuana, Mx. I wasn't naïve but some kid in a crowd still managed to get it from me AND re-zip the bag. I had a "strange feeling" and checked my bag and then replayed the whole thing in my mind. Believe it or not, I ran after the kid and got my wallet back. Shop keepers watched the entire thing play out down the whole block. Afterwards I realized how stupid that actually may have been, but I was pretty mad. I was 5ft and 87 pounds at the time, so they probably thought I was a kid.

I wear a very small cross body bag underneath my shirt. Its so low profile that I'm not even asked to remove it when I go on state side amusement park rides. It fits my ID, cash, smartphone. I don't take my passport ashore with me. I would recommend something along those lines. For ladies Baggallini makes the teeny bag.

Edited by Athankfulheart

FWIW, I agree that fanny packs are not at all secure and mark you as a tourist. As others here have said no reason to carry your passport off the ship, just a copy of the first page is sufficient. Take only one credit card and a few Euros or ( dollars). This is a great way to save money because if you don't have it, your can't spend it.

I just watched a TV program on pickpockets this week. One tip that was provided, for those who insist on carrying a wallet was this.

Before putting your wallet in your FRONT pocket, wrap a couple of wide elastic bands around it. These make it much more difficult for a thief to lift it from your pocket.

I have to laugh when I see posts about not wanting to look like a tourist.

Do you leave you camera on the ship?

Are you of the same ethnic/racial makeup as the locals?

Do you speak the same language as the locals?

Do you have the same accent as the locals?

Do you shop where and eat where the locals go?

Didn't think so. A fanny pack will not make any difference

I'd like to keep things (passport card, other ID, $$, etc.) in one centralized location rather than my wallet

The pickpockets would love you to do this. Passport, driving licence, credit cards, cash, the complete works - they'll have cleaned out your bank accounts while you're still trying to find a taxi to the nearest consulate. Leave as much as possible on the ship, and put the rest in separate pockets, preferably zipped, and certainly in front of you, not behind.

I have to laugh when I see posts about not wanting to look like a tourist.

Do you leave you camera on the ship?

Are you of the same ethnic/racial makeup as the locals?

Do you speak the same language as the locals?

Do you have the same accent as the locals?

Do you shop where and eat where the locals go?

Didn't think so. A fanny pack will not make any difference

My husband and I have been mistaken for locals several times in Europe. We try to not look like obvious tourists (have camera when visiting major places but just as often it's locked in a safe while we sit in a sidewalk cafe enjoying people watching. How do I know people think we are local? They've either started speaking in the language of whatever country we were in when in outside the tourist area restaurants and shops (not tourist shops, but places like grocery stores) or others who were obvious tourists have come up to us on the street asking for directions to this place or that.

I am a big fan of a cross-body bag...a lot more aesthetically appealing than a fanny pack and also keeps your items close to you. Have worn one on trips throughout Europe and Central America without any problems.

I wear a little pouch around my neck, under my shirt. As for not looking like a tourist...I've been to every continent but Antarctica, and lived overseas for a total of ten years, and IME the locals can tell tourists a mile away, even if the tourist is of the same racial background as most of the locals. They might start to speak to you in their language simply because that's the only language they speak!