Dehumidifier question

smellycruzer

From past experience, a rainy Alaska cruise can sometimes leave a lot of soggy clothing :( Rooms are too small to "line dry" wet clothing, and I was wondering if anyone else has ever tried a small room dehumidifier? I'm thinking something like this: http://www.target.com/p/eva-dry-electric-petite-dehumidifier-white-edv-1100/-/A-12934689

Has anybody else tried this before? Or have any tips for keeping your room dry?

I just can't stand having an overly moist room :confused::confused:

Honestly in all the cruises I have been on I cannot remember any room standing out that was damp/moist. I would not be surprised if the ships did not have some sort of humidifier all ready built into their system. Bathroom worked fine for me and so do the laundry room dryers.

From past experience, a rainy Alaska cruise can sometimes leave a lot of soggy clothing :( Rooms are too small to "line dry" wet clothing, and I was wondering if anyone else has ever tried a small room dehumidifier? I'm thinking something like this: http://www.target.com/p/eva-dry-electric-petite-dehumidifier-white-edv-1100/-/A-12934689

Perhaps you could use the laundry room to dry the clothes if they get overly wet?

Thanks for the input. The laundry room dryers work for most things, but I'm wondering how to remedy wet shoes, hats, coats, etc. The small drying line in the shower does not cut it.

Fingers crossed for sunny weather, but I want to plan for the worst :)

Thanks for the input. The laundry room dryers work for most things, but I'm wondering how to remedy wet shoes, hats, coats, etc. The small drying line in the shower does not cut it.

Fingers crossed for sunny weather, but I want to plan for the worst :)

For Alaska I would suggest waterproof tennis shoes, hats, and coats. That is what we did.

I've been in inside cabins on cruises to Alaska 4 times and this has never been an issue for us. I never even thought about anything like this. We never get so wet that we have lots of clothes needing to be dried.

Something like that will take up around 9 lbs of luggage capacity and a lot of space, tie up a valuable outlet and may pull more power than your cabin should.

If you really think it will be an issue, maybe bring a tub of damp rid, put it on the bottom shelf of the closet and put items in there with the door closed.

The ship's air conditioner system removes moisture. In my opinion an extra unit wouldn't help very much. There is also a possibility that a unit plugged in and running all day might be unplugged by the room steward for safety. Pack extra shoes instead of the equipment. Fold paper towels flat into your suitcases, so they can be used on board to stuff any damp shoes.

Take some big clips along as that works better than folding over a clothes line. If you have a balcony and it is not raining, clip the wet items to the balcony chair backs and they often dry faster than if inside the cabin.

You didn't mention whether you sail in a balcony cabin or something without outside access, but, honestly, we've had enough wet gear drying in our inside cabin at times that there's barely room to move and have never had an issue. The funny thing is that we were considering bringing a travel humidifier, which sounds crazy on a cruise ship, but the AC really dries out our cabin. That's one benefit of wet laundry lying about...it pumps some moisture into the air.

Worst case turn up the heater in the room and leave for a few hours. :) Might be worth it to just by covers for your shoes and hat.

I was going to suggest this as well. I have only traveled in the Caribbean where there is always humidity. We never had a problem as the ships air conditioner removed the humidity. On a cold itinerary there isn't humidly by it's probably more damp. The ships uses a forced air heating system which is basically dry air that comes out of the same vent that the cold air comes out of when the air conditioner is being used. If the OP adds a dehumidifier they will probably wake up with a nose bleed and very dry skin. I say this because in a previous house we lived in, was heated the same way. We had to add a humidifier into the heating system because the kids would get nose bleeds in the middle of the night due to lack of moisture in the air. A dehumidifier will not dry wet clothing or shoes but the heat from the ships heating system will. So crank up the heat.

Archived