Dave's Live from Eurodam Trans-Atlantic, Aug. 27 - Sept. 12, 2013

RetiredMustang

Thurs., Sept. 5, 2013, Prins Christian Sund (Cont.)

We have arrived into Prins Christian Sund, sailing past several icebergs near the entrance:

Entering_Prins_Christian_Sund.JPG

Iceberg_1.JPG

Iceberg_2.JPG

Iceberg_3.JPG

It is foggy with a light rain. There appears to be some lifting of fog, but it will be a while, and I think above the fog is overcast. Hopefully, it will brighten some as the day progresses.

The sound and the cliffs are still impressive even in the mists and fogs. The human eye can make out more detail than cameras, but I will still take photos as we go. These may be in various (but not 50) shades of gray unless the skies brighten.

More later,

Dave

Our passage is being narrated by Ian the travel guide and Jon Sigurdsson from the Crows Nest. It is being broadcast on outside decks and on TV. When he is not narrating, Jon answers questions from people who are in the Crows Nest (I obtained his permission before posting his photo):

Jon_Sigurdsson_answers_questions.JPG

We continue passing dramatic cliffs:

Prins_Christian_Sund_cliffs_1.JPG

Prins_Christian_Sund_cliffs_2.JPG

And we passed an inlet where the Greenland main ice cap meets the Sound and calves off smaller icebergs:

Ice_cap_meets_sound.JPG

More later,

Dave

We lost internet signal soon after entering Prins Christian Sund, and only had it very sporadically after we left the sound into open seas Thursday evening. It appears to be working Friday morning, so I will post several posts through the day Friday to get caught up on the blog.

Dave

The rain and fog continued for some time, lifting a little, and then closing in again. The seas were not rough, though.

Even though we couldn’t often see the tops of the cliffs, there were still some things to see, such as another place where the ice cap meets the sound:

Another_part_of_ice_cape_meets_sound.JPG

And a great many waterfalls coming down from the melting snow and rain:

Waterfall_1.JPG

Waterfall_2.JPG

Later, the mountain tops started to appear:

Mountain_tops_breaking_though.JPG

Prins_Christian_Sund_mountains_1.JPG

More later,

Dave

We took a sharp turn, and went around an island, first to the southeast, and then to the northwest. The mountains were quite impressive:

Prins_Christian_Sund_mountains_2.JPG

Prins_Christian_Sund_mountains_3.JPG

Prins_Christian_Sund_mountains_4.JPG

The weather continued to improve. At about 3 p.m., we slowed near the village of Aappilittoq:

Aappilittoq_at_base_of_mountain.JPG

Aappilittoq.JPG

Jon Sigurdsson and crew members took two fast boats ashore to the village, to give them the donated clothing and toys the crew and passengers had collected, and to deliver pizza, sodas and brownies:

Jon_s_pizza_delivery.JPG

More later,

Dave

We then left the village, and took another path past islands to the open sea, passing many more mountains on the way:

Prins_Christian_Sund_mountains_5.JPG

Prins_Christian_Sund_mountains_6.JPG

Prins_Christian_Sund_mountains_7.JPG

Prins_Christian_Sund_mountains_8.JPG

The day got better as we went, until, just before we entered open seas, (of course) the sun came out.

More later,

Dave

The sun came out while we were having dinner, so we had pretty sailing while dining. Here are the menus:

5Sep13_dinner_menu.JPG

5Sep13_dessert_menu.JPG

For a change from beef, I had the Tagliatelle alla Conti:

Tagliatelle_alla_Conti.JPG

For dessert, it was still chocolate though – the croquant praline:

Chcoloate_croquant_praline.JPG

More later,

Dave

The weather continued to improve. At about 3 p.m., we slowed near the village of Aappilittoq:

Aappilittoq.JPG

Isn't that village the most forlorn little spot imaginable? I can't imagine life there, especially before modern communication methods.

Prins Christian Sund is one of those "many moods" places. No matter what the weather is like when you go through, you see a different side of its personality. It's always a lovely ride.

Thanks for the pics and the commentary. I felt a little bit like I was back there, too.

Dave said back in NYC Sept 12.

Here along the central east coast of Florida we are dying for rain. Way behind this summer in our totals. BUT don't want it in the form of hurricane. Surfing contest in Cocoa Bch has teensy waves but they look like they are having a good time. Saw a pic in newspaper of a booth with Costa Rican beer being sold!

Where in central east coast - we are in Viera. Looking forward to boarding the Eurodam on October 12.

Fri., Sept. 6, 2013, Nanortalik (Cont.)

We stopped outside the town of Nanortalik in the early morning, about 7 a.m. It was still overcast but the air was clear:

Nanortalik.JPG

panorama_of_Nanortalik.JPG

We took one of the earlier tenders ashore. We walked to the western end of town, and purchased tickets for the open-air museum. We saw several buildings holding exhibits, including one of some beautiful traditional Inuit clothing:

Traditional_costume_Nanortalik_museum.JPG

There was also a stone and platform on top, about 25 steps up a steep ladder, in that section of town. We climbed up and got some elevated views of the town, especially of the church:

Nanortalik_from_viewing_platform.JPG

Nanortalik_church1.JPG

More in the next post,

Dave

Fri., Sept. 6, 2013, Nanortalik (Cont.)

We could also see Eurodam from the platform:

Eurodam_off_Nanortalik.JPG

There was also an old-style dwelling in the museum compound:

Old-style_dwelling_Nanortalik_musuem.JPG

Afterwards, we walked around quite a bit, and admired the colorful houses, and their setting among the stones and lots of buttercups:

modern_Nanortalik_house_among_stones_and_buttercups.JPG

Nanortalik_houses.JPG

colorful_houses.JPG

We returned to the ship well before the last tender, which was a good thing, since it started raining about 10:30 or 11. The last tender was at 12:30, but I think most people came back well before then.

More later,

Dave

I am loving this wonderful review!! I didn't know what trip would be my next "want to do this" cruise. Now I know!! Even in the fog and rain, it is all beautiful. Thank you for the excellent pictures and review.

Boarding the Eurodam in 16 days! Can't wait!:)