Calf's Liver on Veendam...

sail7seas

On our recent cruise, we read the evening's menu and saw calf's liver. DH and I love it and never have it at home. It's hard to find a butcher shop/grocery that even carries it anymore.

We were going with our friends to Pinnacle that night and missed it but it's been on my mind since. :o

Did anyone on the August 17 Veendam cruise order it? Was it with sauteed onion and was it delicious? :)

Can't help it but need my curiousity satisfied.[/b]

On our recent cruise, we read the evening's menu and saw calf's liver. DH and I love it and never have it at home. It's hard to find a butcher shop/grocery that even carries it anymore.

We were going with our friends to Pinnacle that night and missed it but it's been on my mind since. :o

Did anyone on the August 17 Veendam cruise order it? Was it with sauteed onion and was it delicious? :)

Glad to see another liver fan. I order it too when I see it on HAL ships and it does get different treatment on different ships, but is always very, very good. That is a very tough dish to execute well so it is fun to see how each ship creates a different take.

Oh lord....I can't even stand the look or smell of liver. :eek: Seems to me I've seen it on the menu but maybe not. If it has been luckily nobody at our tables have ever ordered it. Beyond yuck. :o:rolleyes::D Next thing will be Lima beans.....gross! :D

Oh lord....I can't even stand the look or smell of liver. :eek: Seems to me I've seen it on the menu but maybe not. If it has been luckily nobody at our tables have ever ordered it. Beyond yuck. :o:rolleyes:Next thing will be Lima beans.....gross! :D

The OP's question does not deserve your post:eek:.He/she did not ask if someone hates the liver dish:rolleyes:.

Oh lord....I can't even stand the look or smell of liver. :eek: Seems to me I've seen it on the menu but maybe not. If it has been luckily nobody at our tables have ever ordered it. Beyond yuck. :o:rolleyes::D Next thing will be Lima beans.....gross! :D

lol

I eat it once a decade and enjoy it. But, once every 10 years satisfies me. And, while I still suffer from some of the emotional trauma of being forced to eat lima beans in the grade school cafeteria, I have learned to love my limas - just not people who force kids to eat "good" foods. ;)

Collard greens, anyone?

We had it on our last Maasdam cruise. It did come with sauteed onions and was in some kind of sauce, but we ordered it without the sauce and it was very good. My favorite childhood dinner was calf's liver with sauteed onions, potato and spinach.

The OP's question does not deserve your post:eek:.He/she did not ask if someone hates the liver dish:rolleyes:.

He's joking:D But I agree...one thing I swore I would never cook when I finally left home and that was liver...we were made to eat it as kids and I hated it...the only food I truly despised:eek: Dh loves any kind of liver and friends take pity on him and invite him over when they do chicken livers or beef liver!!

Sail...sorry you didn't get your liver, maybe next time!

lol

I eat it once a decade and enjoy it. But, once every 10 years satisfies me. And, while I still suffer from some of the emotional trauma of being forced to eat lima beans in the grade school cafeteria, I have learned to love my limas - just not people who force kids to eat "good" foods. ;)

Collard greens, anyone?

I was forced to eat frozen lima beans as a child..the great big yucky ones...half cooked....awful..but the smaller baby limas are actually good...I have learned to like them as an adult! And if collard greens are cooked properly they are great:D

Judy...We had it on our Veendam cruise to/from Bermuda! Same as you, I love liver and never have it at home. Yes...sautéed onions and bacon! It was wonderful.

+1 You took the words right out of my mouth, both for liver AND lima beans! I had to go outside when my Mom made liver at home, and I couldn't sit at the table for dinner either!

We did the Voyage Of The Vikings cruise that ended August 17. Calf's liver was on the menu for that cruise. My wife ordered it; and she said it was sauteed with onions and was delicious.

We grow lima beans in our home garden in copious quantities. They are sweet, tender and delicious. Can't understand why they got so badly maligned. They make a beautiful Italian tuna cold salad, as well as superb hot with a sour cream bacon sauce. Thrifty, easy to grow and store when dried. Nutrient and fiber dense, they are close to a perfect food and fair to the environment.

I was forced to eat frozen lima beans as a child..the great big yucky ones...half cooked....awful..but the smaller baby limas are actually good...I have learned to like them as an adult! And if collard greens are cooked properly they are great:D

I'm addicted to collard greens that I cook myself. They are always perfect, never bitter, and I sort through and throw out all the stems. As a child, I would have had to be sedated to eat them. I have learned to love all green leafies - can't get enough.

Oh, something to look for on the menus in December. I don't recall ever seeing liver on any dinner menu on HAL, but I love it. My mouth is watering at the thought. Nothing better than liver cooked correctly, nothing worse than when it's done badly! Same with lima beans, frozen, mushy, overcooked limas are an abomination; fresh, out of the garden, a delight.

My favorite was one my mom made, liver stroganoff. MMMMMMMMMMM

I like liver and lima beans - not together though. :)

Thinking about it,I may have had liver on the February cruise but not sure. Wherever it was that I had it, it was great!

We had it on our last Maasdam cruise. It did come with sauteed onions and was in some kind of sauce, but we ordered it without the sauce and it was very good. My favorite childhood dinner was calf's liver with sauteed onions, potato and spinach.

Doesn't anyone have liver with bacon? :confused: :eek: It's a great combo.

Oops, I spoke to soon:

Judy...We had it on our Veendam cruise to/from Bermuda! Same as you, I love liver and never have it at home. Yes...sautéed onions and bacon! It was wonderful.

I am one of the world's pickiest eaters, but I love calves liver.........when done well. My mother seasoned and floured it, cooked with onions and butter. She served it with mashed potatoes and cream corn. I loved it. I'll have to look for it on my next cruise.

I also had to eat lima beans as a child, but I really like them. I don't know anyone else who does.

My parents both liked Lima beans. Some of it I think came from them being kids during the Depression and living on farms. You ate what was available when it was available. My father was the liver eater though not my mother. My father was more the farm boy born and raised and no part of any animal or crop or whatever was wasted. Me? Never liked liver but my father at least understood that....Lima beans I had to eat but swallowed them whole like pills. Sorry if I offended anybody. :o

Yes, love it. We use lambs liver though, not calf liver.

That I what I grew up on too (in South Africa), but I will eat other kinds as well. My mother would only cook lamb; one day Italian neighbors invited us over for a barbeque and they grilled pork liver - she was aghast! But ate it and realized it was fine. :)

I just checked my cruise photos...I had liver, onions and bacon on Ryndam on February 5. ;) It was not the Veendam.

Archived