Naive Question FCC vs Actual OnBoard Booking

SFO Peter

Thanks Ruth- C. Good to know

How much do u normally buy on a given cruise ? FCD sound like a great deal to buy. Nothing to lose there.

I haven't bought any future cruise deposits since the new varied amounts were introduced. I did book a couple of future cruises on my last cruise, though. One used a FCD I already had and one was a new purchase. I think.

I have six cruises booked (5 on HAL), so I get confused as to how I booked each one. That's what paperwork is for.

I don't have any FCD on file at the moment.

It changed somewhat about a year ago. The Future Cruise Deposits still expire after 4 years, but now they are refundable.

If you don't use them, the money is returned to you, not kept by HAL.

That's great to know ... thanks, Ruth! You can tell we haven't bought any in a couple of years. We had a couple of them stockpiled:) Next cruise we plan to buy more ... it's such a great deal. We usually buy one or two cruises worth at a time.

• 1 month later...

I am going to have to learn from all of you experts! I know nothing about this either. If we like our Noordam cruise, I am already looking at a Europe HAL cruise for 2014. We want to go to Austria and the Czech Rep first, if the stars align and we can take that much time off. So, we just book a credit, and then apply it with the code after we get back? Many thanks! We have not been cruising with HAL for awhile because our kids were teens/ early twenties and it was a better fit on RCI.

I am going to have to learn from all of you experts! I know nothing about this either. If we like our Noordam cruise, I am already looking at a Europe HAL cruise for 2014. We want to go to Austria and the Czech Rep first, if the stars align and we can take that much time off. So, we just book a credit, and then apply it with the code after we get back? Many thanks! We have not been cruising with HAL for awhile because our kids were teens/ early twenties and it was a better fit on RCI.

Yes, if you buy the credits then you can apply them with the code when you book within the allotted time (usually a bit over 60 days from when your cruise ends - at least those are the emails I have received). Note, if you may not be using the same TA/PCC - ask that they just be attached to HAL with your mariner account. Otherwise they are credited to your TA that you used for that cruise. (mentioning it only in case you might be considering changing).

When you purchase FCD's while on board (which is the only place you can buy them), they are assigned a number. That number attaches to your Mariners Account so it can always be located.

At the time you are ready to book a cruise, tell either the HAL phone rep with whom you are working or your TA you want to use the FCD as your deposit. In the event the amount of the deposit you bought is not large enough for the specific cruise you book, you will be permitted to add cash to make up the amount due and will still be granted all OBC you should get for the length of the cruise you book.

What KAZU above is referencing is Promo Cod ZN and/or ZM which provides additional OBC if you book within a certain number of days within returning from your cruise. If it is not offered to you, be sure to ask. It is in addition to the OBC you will get for using a FCD. It is either 60 or 90 days (I think) after your cruise within which you have to make the new booking.

It is very important to remember to tell the Future Cruise Consultant who sells you the FCD's while on board the name of a TA you wish to use for the future booking. If you do not know who you will use or do not say anything it will default automatically to the TA who booked the cruise on which you are at the time you make the purchase. You do not have to name any TA and tell them to call it a HAL 'in house' booking.

When you are ready to book, you can use a PCC or HAL Rep if you want or can use any TA you want. If they assign (automatically) to the TA of record for the cruise you are on, you will need their permission to take the booking from them. That is hard to get.

Can you use OBC's to buy FCD's?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Sail answered your question re using OBC's but I would like to add that you cannot charge them to your onboard account either. They will be directly charged to a credit card number that you provide.

I can't think of any other on board charge that is done separately.

Sail answered your question re using OBC's but I would like to add that you cannot charge them to your onboard account either. They will be directly charged to a credit card number that you provide.

I can't think of any other on board charge that is done separately.

You're right, Sapper.

Maybe another time a credit card would be used could be art auction? We've never gone to one so don't know about that.

There is nothing to lose by trying. The promo is for booking a cruise within 30 or 60 days (I'm vague which) of returning home from one. Your cruise may qualify depending when you booked but I wouldn't count on getting it. I certainly would ask.

Let us know if they agree to grant it.

(Laffnvegas is a TA and posted about it a few days ago.)

We have used FCC before and have an upcoming cruise, which we have booked on board, so we are familiar with the principle. Until now, we are unfamiliar with the "welcome back" bonus, I do not remeber receiving an e-mail from HAL after returning from our past cruises. We are planning to get 2 or 3 FCC's during our upcoming cruise, because we have our eye on a couple of cruises in the next year and a half. If we could combine the FCC with a promo as you have talked about, it would be very nice indeed. However, I doubt if the Dutch HAL office will be familiar with the promo codes you have mentioned, maybe they only apply to the US market?

Since we are cruising during this years holidays, we hope we maybe get special offerings if we book another cruise while on board???

We have used FCC before and have an upcoming cruise, which we have booked on board, so we are familiar with the principle. Until now, we are unfamiliar with the "welcome back" bonus, I do not remeber receiving an e-mail from HAL after returning from our past cruises. We are planning to get 2 or 3 FCC's during our upcoming cruise, because we have our eye on a couple of cruises in the next year and a half. If we could combine the FCC with a promo as you have talked about, it would be very nice indeed. However, I doubt if the Dutch HAL office will be familiar with the promo codes you have mentioned, maybe they only apply to the US market?

Since we are cruising during this years holidays, we hope we maybe get special offerings if we book another cruise while on board???

On our Sept 21-28 Westerdam cruise we purchased a FCC. On Oct. 12 we received the Welcome Home email offering an addtional credit if we booked by Dec 11. Hope this info. helps your planning.

We also (around Oct 8) got an offer for a "private sailing" deal for discounted pricing on Carb. sailings, which I think was based on the passenger survey we filled out on-line.

DaveOKC

On our Sept 21-28 Westerdam cruise we purchased a FCC. On Oct. 12 we received the Welcome Home email offering an addtional credit if we booked by Dec 11. Hope this info. helps your planning.

We also (around Oct 8) got an offer for a "private sailing" deal for discounted pricing on Carb. sailings, which I think was based on the passenger survey we filled out on-line.

DaveOKC

Thank you for this indeed, very useful information.

This will help in deciding about our options. Come to think of it, I vaguely remember receiving an offer just after coming home after our May cruise, but dismissing it instantly, because we already booked on board (with an OBC and also an offer of our TA, so we did not miss out on much). This might also answer my own question, that these "promo offers" also apply to non-US citizens.

We will see if something special is offered on board, otherwise we will settle for FCC’s and wait and see what they come up with when we get home. With a FCC in hand, we can’t go wrong and maybe increase our spread on a good deal!

Thank you so much Sail, Sapper, Kazu and Ruth for all of that information. i have printed your answers and will take them with me. That was very helpful, clear advice. Leaving the cruise with a new cruise to plan would be upbeat!

You are very welcome. Having a cruise booked, or, at the very least, some FCD's in hand, will take away some of that post cruise depression.

You're right, Sapper.

Maybe another time a credit card would be used could be art auction? We've never gone to one so don't know about that.

We have avoided art auctions as well, except maybe to almost trip over a painting:), so I can't answer that. I suspect you are right in your guess.

Thank you so much Sail, Sapper, Kazu and Ruth for all of that information. i have printed your answers and will take them with me. That was very helpful, clear advice. Leaving the cruise with a new cruise to plan would be upbeat!

My pleasure. I am happy if I'm able to help others with cruise questions. :)

For me, the next best thing to cruising is talking about it. :)

And I thank you also. This is the kind of information I look for on CC.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

We have avoided art auctions as well, except maybe to almost trip over a painting:), so I can't answer that. I suspect you are right in your guess.

always happy to help too - that's what this is about:)

We have bought at art auctions long, long, long ago and it was charged to our onboard account - not to a credit card.

Archived