Shame on Oceania

G&G

Today I received a beautiful brochure from Oceania titled "The Americas", 2013-2014. Included with the brochure was a separate page lisiting approximately 50 cruise dates with "Additional Early Booking Savings off 2 for 1 Cruise Fares" from $1,000 to $3,000 per stateroom.

Included in the savings was a cruise we planned to book; Riviera, 14 day, "Sunny Getaways", Caribbean cruise to/from Miami, Florida on November 29, 2014. The brochure prices ranged from $4,799 (G) to $15,999 (OS). Reducing the fares by the $3,000 savings per stateroom reduced the fare to $3,299 (G) to $14,499 (OS).

The problem is I have a Oceania brochure I received three months ago with the reduced fares published in the brochures.

Oceania increased the fare in the latest brochure for each stateroom by $1,500 per person and then printed a separate page reducing the fare by $1,500 per person as a savings even though the older brochure shows the reduced fares.

Shame on Oceania for this deceptive pricing :eek: !

For your info I have only sailed on Oceania once and have seen this topic previously discussed in this forum.

Every cruise line does it..it is called "creative marketing"..I am on cruising on Celebrity in December and since I booked they raised the prices big time and are now offering a few amenities like liquor package which does not come near the raise in price..at least Oceania matches the old price..

Jancruz1

Every cruise line does it..it is called "creative marketing"..I am on cruising on Celebrity in December and since I booked they raised the prices big time and are now offering a few amenities like liquor package which does not come near the raise in price..at least Oceania matches the old price..

Jancruz1

I sailed on almost all cruise lines and never seen a cruise line increase the fare for every stateroom by $1,500 per category and then offer the same $1,500 as a discount/savings per category.

So, as I understand it...your net price has not gone up from the old brochure to the new?

Correct. The price has gone up $1,500 per person for each stateroom category in the new brochure. But Oceania has offered a early booking savings of $1,500 per savings to offset the price increase. Thus no increase in price.

To make it more confusing, the following is the price for a "G" category stateroom for the 14 day cruise on the Riviera, 11/29/14:

1. Brochure price three months ago: $3,299/person

2. Brochure price today: $4,799/person (Oceania offers discount $1,500)

3. On line pricing: $3,299/person

Oceania has implied that there is a big savings on this cruise but all they did was increase price and offset with so called big savings.

Jancruz1

I think in the UK that activity is now being investigated in many other areas. Personally I think it is NOT CREATIVE but Deceptive..........what really is the point. Should I not be booking so far ahead ?

Brian

Personally, I see nothing wrong with any cruise line raising its prices. If you haven't put down a deposit you have no guaranteed price. Where I think all cruise lines should be investigated os for their fraudulent two for one fares which are obviously meant to fool unsuspecting people into thinking they are getting a bargain.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with any cruise line raising its prices. If you haven't put down a deposit you have no guaranteed price. Where I think all cruise lines should be investigated os for their fraudulent two for one fares which are obviously meant to fool unsuspecting people into thinking they are getting a bargain.

Maybe you did not understand what happened. I also see nothing wrong with cruise line raising its prices.

But what Oceania did was raise its prices $3,000 per stateroom for every category and then offered a early booking discount of $3,000 per stateroom for every category to make it look like Oceania was offering a significant discount for early booking. In reality the price is the same but it looks like you are getting a big discount.

This is deceptive.

I agree - it is deceptive.

If someone did not have an older brochure (like OP does) showing this lower price 3 months ago and would only get this "new" promotion, they would rightfully believe they were getting lucky in getting this "discount" when in reality it is nothing new and it was previously available in the brochure (before artificially raising the price just to lower it as a "promotion").

Why not just say - "the bookings are still available at this attractively low price (for a limited time)" - or something like that.

It would more accurate and less deceptive.

As a young man of fourteen, I was hired as a "stock boy" at a Dallas department store in 1957. I learned about merchandising when the store announced a big sale. In the basement stockroom, we removed the price tags of the sale items and replaced them with new tags marked up approximately 25% higher than the original price. We then crossed out that price with a blue pencil and wrote in the original price. We then crossed out the blue price with a red pencil and wrote the final sale price at about a 10% discount.

When someone's trying to sell you something, you can't always believe everything they tell you.

In the past 6 yrs on Oceania,I have found that they never lower or raise there price on any cruise. The only thing they will do is give a YOUR WORLD promotion as an incentive like pre paid gratuities and OBC. We have booked cruises well over a year in advance and the price will never change. I like that when you go on your cruise the price you pay is the same as other passengers.

As a young man of fourteen, I was hired as a "stock boy" at a Dallas department store in 1957. I learned about merchandising when the store announced a big sale. In the basement stockroom, we removed the price tags of the sale items and replaced them with new tags marked up approximately 25% higher than the original price. We then crossed out that price with a blue pencil and wrote in the original price. We then crossed out the blue price with a red pencil and wrote the final sale price at about a 10% discount.

When someone's trying to sell you something, you can't always believe everything they tell you.

Like it or not, Travel companies of all sorts get a special dispensation because of the unique nature of their product.

Look at it this way, up until January 9, 2015, a couple of berths in an Owners Suite on the World Cruise is an asset valued at about a quarter of a million dollars. At 5:01 PM on the next evening, they are worth nothing.

Just because cruise lines have been forgiven for these deceptions before does not mean they shouldn't be taken to task now.

Oceania is by no means unique in this. This practice is not uncommon with other cruise lines, some travel companies and some department stores, etc

That does NOT make them right - two wrongs don't make a right. They are what they are - deceptive practices, no matter who commits them.

Caveat Emptor.

Like it or not, Travel companies of all sorts get a special dispensation because of the unique nature of their product.

Look at it this way, up until January 9, 2015, a couple of berths in an Owners Suite on the World Cruise is an asset valued at about a quarter of a million dollars. At 5:01 PM on the next evening, they are worth nothing.

So are Christmas cards and decorations on Dec. 26th. Oceania will keep adding extras or try and quietly up sell their cabins until the ship sails.

Paul,

I did not imply that O was unique here. All cruise lines are guilty and that's why there should be some kind of legislation to outlaw these practices. What would happen of all of a sudden Hilton started advertising rooms at $1000 a night with 2 for 1 specials?

Paul,

I did not imply that O was unique here. All cruise lines are guilty and that's why there should be some kind of legislation to outlaw these practices. What would happen of all of a sudden Hilton started advertising rooms at $1000 a night with 2 for 1 specials?

??

Not sure what the beef is here. Different people are attracted to different marketing ideas. Some may be turned on by "including air fare" others by not having to buy drinks, even though they may be paying more up front.

I remember a prospective client reading the proposal for a communications system I had given him and being furious that the shipping cost was a separate line item. He wanted it removed as it, as he said, "...should be part of the cost of doing business!" So I rewrote the proposal with the shipping included in the price of the equipment and he accepted it.

Legislation?:rolleyes:

??

Not sure what the beef is here. Different people are attracted to different marketing ideas. Some may be turned on by "including air fare" others by not having to buy drinks, even though they may be paying more up front.

I remember a prospective client reading the proposal for a communications system I had given him and being furious that the shipping cost was a separate line item. He wanted it removed as it, as he said, "...should be part of the cost of doing business!" So I rewrote the proposal with the shipping included in the price of the equipment and he accepted it.

Legislation?:rolleyes:

I think you may be missing the point here.

It's the way things are marketed that some of us have objections to (not necessarily the end result):

• Instead of "Free Air" (which it is not) why not say "Air is included"
  • Instead of raising a price from 3 months ago only to lower it to its original level and calling it a "special discount" - why not say "the cruise is still available at these very attractive low prices"
  • 2 for 1 - 'nough said -dead horse

It insults some peoples' intelligence as if they couldn't see through these adds.

I know that the alternatives I suggested are not as "sexy" or catchy but the end result is the same. However, the language is more clear and less ambiguous or not potentially misleading to some customers.

That said, most O loyalist know and understand these and, like myself, love O for the more important things - like the excellent overall cruising experience it offers (despite these little nit-picks) :D

When the more important things (TO ME) deteriorate - like the food, ambience, price, itineraries, too many kids, the condition of the ships, etc - that is when I will get upset with O and consider moving on. But not just yet :)

I think you may be missing the point here.

It's the way things are marketed that some of us have objections to (not necessarily the end result):

• Instead of "Free Air" (which it is not) why not say "Air is included"
  • Instead of raising a price from 3 months ago only to lower it to its original level and calling it a "special discount" - why not say "the cruise is still available at these very attractive low prices"
  • 2 for 1 - 'nough said -dead horse

It insults some peoples' intelligence as if they couldn't see through these adds.

I know that the alternatives I suggested are not as "sexy" or catchy but the end result is the same. However, the language is more clear and less ambiguous or not potentially misleading to some customers.

That said, most O loyalist know and understand these and, like myself, love O for the more important things - like the excellent overall cruising experience it offers (despite these little nit-picks) :D

When the more important things (TO ME) deteriorate - like the food, ambience, price, itineraries, too many kids, the condition of the ships, etc - that is when I will get upset with O and consider moving on. But not just yet :)

Paul,

I agree with you regarding your first and third bullet about "free" air and 2 for 1 fares. However, your second bullet about Oceania raising its cruise fare from three months ago and then offering a discount to bring the fare back to its original level is not correct.

What the OP missed is that the base fare and the discount is the same for both brochures. On the 11/29/2014, Riviera cruise, the base fare for a Cat G cabin is $4799 and the discount is $1500. In the older brochure, Oceania subtracted the discount from the base fare and showed a net fare in the brochure of $3299. In the newer brochure, Oceania showed the base fare of $4799 in the brochure and included a sheet of paper showing the discount amount for a number of upcoming cruises. So, Oceania subtracted the discount from the base fare in one brochure while leaving the arithmetic to the reader in the other brochure.

Here's the pertinent page from the older brochure:

839b4d53-2574-4be2-9d39-c002015e1c81_zps27e75691.jpg

Note that the fare table clearly indicates that the discount has already been subtracted.

Here's the pertinent page from the newer brochure:

NewBrochure_zpsdc20c767.jpg

In this brochure only the base fare of $4799 is shown. This approach to displaying fares makes it easier to raise or lower fares. Instead of having to change the fares for each category of each cruise, Oceania only has to modify one line of a piece of paper for each cruise. The disadvantage of this approach is that a potential passenger looking at a brochure may think the fare for a cruise is too high without ever checking to see what the net fare would be after subtracting the discount.

Basically, I just look at the bottom line. I don't worry about how Oceania or Regent arrived at their printed fare.

Dave,

You did your "due diligence" and I thank you for it. Also, I stand corrected on this point. Not having the brochures on hand I took OP's word to be correct; apparently she was mistaken (and consequently, so was I).

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to set the record straight :)

Paul

PS Now maybe we can put this particular issue and the thread to rest.

Archived