Can you leave the ship the night before when on an overnight cruise?

cricri7

HI guys.....I will be on the Eurodam leaving New York on September 12th. I was wondering if it is possible to leave the ship late on Saturday afternoon or does everyone have to disembark on Sunday morning. I called Holland to ask the question and the girl on the phone could not help me with my question? Can someone help me here?

I know that customs must clear the ship first so from experience has anyone ever left the ship the day before when in Quebec?

Thanks for your answers!

Thanks for the answer but I was hoping to hear from someone on that specific cruise since European and Canadian laws might be different.

Is it normal that when I called Holland that the person on the line could not answer my question?

You must have HAL's permission (I suggest in writing by e-mail) and you should call again until you get a Rep who knows what they are doing.

It is a common thing to do and if it does not violate local law, PVSA, and they can arrange for local authorities to clear you (Immigration and customs), you will be free to go. IF you get that permission, be certain to verify with front desk aboard the ship shortly after boarding to avoid any last minute confusions.

Thanks for the answer but I was hoping to hear from someone on that specific cruise since European and Canadian laws might be different.

Is it normal that when I called Holland that the person on the line could not answer my question?

When a ship in port for overnite, the ship clears customs the day it arrives. it is possible to leave on the first day but must get permission from HAL to disembark early. It is very simple. Your TA just needs to call into HAL and put in the request. It may take a few days to get the answer. It is done all the time but the port must have enough customs officials on hand to process those passengers disembarking early.

When a ship in port for overnite, the ship clears customs the day it arrives. it is possible to leave on the first day but must get permission from HAL to disembark early. It is very simple. Your TA just needs to call into HAL and put in the request. It may take a few days to get the answer. It is done all the time but the port must have enough customs officials on hand to process those passengers disembarking early.

This ship clears customs HOWEVER the passengers don't and they must attend customs and immigration which takes place on the final day, unless there have been some special arrangements.

Last year we were overnight in Quebec City, all passengers had to disembark on the final morning, Canada Boarder Agents were set up and available on that morning only. The previous morning there was no way of getting your luggage of the ship an no custom's agents were on the pier.

I wouldn't have wanted to even try getting my luggage off with everyone trying to get on thier shore excursion's.

This ship clears customs HOWEVER the passengers don't and they must attend customs and immigration which takes place on the final day, unless there have been some special arrangements.

Last year we were overnight in Quebec City, all passengers had to disembark on the final morning, Canada Boarder Agents were set up and available on that morning only. The previous morning there was no way of getting your luggage of the ship an no custom's agents were on the pier.

I wouldn't have wanted to even try getting my luggage off with everyone trying to get on thier shore excursion's.

As I posted, it is done all the time but a passenge does need to request it and get approved in order to disembark early. The only time it is not approved, in most cases, is when the proper amount of custom agents are not available to process those disembarking. Also, if you disembark early it is your responsibility to take off your luggage. It is not the normal procedure. HAL will have a list of those passengers who are disembarking early and customs in the port will be given the list before hand.

My travel agent was able to get it! I will be taking the train at dinner time saturday instead of early sunday morning. Since I have been to Quebec many times before, being so close to my hometown of Montreal, that I can pass on the overnight. I can't wait to leave for New York monday morning!

My travel agent was able to get it! I will be taking the train at dinner time saturday instead of early sunday morning. Since I have been to Quebec many times before, being so close to my hometown of Montreal, that I can pass on the overnight. I can't wait to leave for New York monday morning!

Have a wonderful cruise.

Roy

Archived