How to dress for shore excursions in Italy and France in mid October

sta319

We have always traveled to Europe in the summer and was wondering how to dress in mid October for during the day while touring Marseille, Capri, Positano, Pompeii and St Tropez.

Thanks for those who have cruised prior in October!

We have always traveled to Europe in the summer and was wondering how to dress in mid October for during the day while touring Marseille, Capri, Positano, Pompeii and St Tropez.

Thanks for those who have cruised prior in October!

It's best to layer because it can either be very cool or very warm.....sometimes in the same day!

It's best to layer because it can either be very cool or very warm.....sometimes in the same day!

Agree. I was just looking back at some photos of our October Oceania cruise 2 years ago w many ports as in the OP's trip. Our clothes ranged from Bermuda shorts & short-sleeve shirts to long pants/jeans w a sweater or jacket that came on & off within the same day. We also had a couple of on/off rainy days so a light raincoat/windbreaker is recommended as others said.

Even on a cooler day the sun can be quite warm and strong, say when you're sitting at a lovely cafe enjoying a glass or two of wine. :) Pack a hat/sunscreen accordingly if sun exposure is a concern.

Our next cruise is a Mediterranean itinerary in late October, we're curious if the weather will be similar or if a couple of weeks might make a notable difference? Our packing will likely be similar to that last trip so we're prepared for changing conditions.

ETA: Not to start a wardrobe debate, but since I mentioned we wore shorts some days...note that some European churches request "appropriate dress" which typically means covered knees & shoulders. As we did, keep that in mind for excursions if applicable.

Looks like I am on the same cruise as STA319 and posted a similar question on our Roll Call board. I'm surprised to hear that shorts might be in order. I was thinking fall type clothes - long pants, sweaters, etc. Would I be wrong to not pack a few more "late summer" items like capris? What about colors - I was assuming fall colors? Any help is most appreciated. Certainly don't want to look out of place in these rather "chic" cities. Thank you!

Looks like I am on the same cruise as STA319 and posted a similar question on our Roll Call board. I'm surprised to hear that shorts might be in order. I was thinking fall type clothes - long pants, sweaters, etc. Would I be wrong to not pack a few more "late summer" items like capris? What about colors - I was assuming fall colors? Any help is most appreciated. Certainly don't want to look out of place in these rather "chic" cities. Thank you!

Fall colors no white..these are very well dressed cities..I personally would not take shorts..people will know immediately you are from the colonies..LOL

Jancruz1

The region is the Mediterranean and California has "Mediterranean climate" as well.

Our (Bay Area) mid-October weather can at times be nicer than July/August - and rainy and cool at other times.

So, yes, it could be summer-like weather there as well or it could be a colder year; it's very unlikely to be hot-hot.

As others have suggested - layering will cover all bases. :)

A note for Pompeii as there is no shade at all - if the sun is out it can get very hot, even in October, so a hat may be useful. Others have covered the other ports well - covered shoulders and knees (including men) in most of the churches and any other religious sites. It's a wonderful time to visit the Med IMO as it can still be good weather but the crowds have thinned.

We cruised in late October from Athens, around the Italian and French Rivieras, ending up in Barcelona. The ports along the Italian and French Riviera were hot during the day. I wore sleeveless tops, capris and sundresses. However, when taking the tram to the top of Capri, the wind became very cold indeed. We were wearing summer weight clothing off the ship because it was hot in Capri Town, but up on top of the island, cold, biting wind. By the time we got to the western Med, along the French/Spanish border, the weather was very cool.

So those who recommend layering are correct. If you run hot, bring a light layer along: hoodie or light sweater/sweatshirt. If you run cool, regular sport shirt, light sweater or jacket, long pants or skirt for ladies. Retire the white clothing and skip the American looking athletic shoes, white sneakers and such, white handbags. It is no longer summer at this time of year, although the weather can fool you.

Fall colors no white..these are very well dressed cities..I personally would not take shorts..people will know immediately you are from the colonies..LOL

Jancruz1

I agree!

We have been to Italy quite a few times in Oct/Nov - porcini season:).

From year to year, we have experienced a wide range of temps. One October in Florence it was in the 40s and then a few days later in Rome it was 80s.

This year we will starting in Milan and the Lakes and going all the way south to Sicily. We will definitely pack layers to add and subtract as needed, as well as a travel rain jacket and umbrella.

I would never personally wear shorts in Italy in the fall. I will pack a few pair of capris for warmer days but otherwise jeans and slacks for daytime exploring.

Archived